Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, figured I would post up a simple how to on how to Install the Woodcraft clipons on a 06 SV650 Naked.

One of the things that I liked about the Woodcraft was that i didnt have to remove the triple tree from the top... and from what i read they were well made... so buy it I did....

then relized when i got them today that I would have to remove the triple at the top to move the stock headlight mounting brackets up and slip on the clipons. they were just too big to get between the headlight mount and the forks.

So the first thing you need to do is pop off the little protectors to the allen keys on the top of the stock handle bars. then take the allen bolts off and loosen all of the handle bar stuff and take the left crip off (a little soap and water and tugging will get it off..) One of the things we found interesting is if you get all of that off and rotate the bars around it is actually pretty nice!!! take a look!!!

So moving on...

after you have the top off, then loosen all the bolts on the tripple, the two on the side, and the one big one in the middle. then that pops right off... then go ahead and remove the headlight and front fly screen and let it hang, and move everything around so you can get some room to work to put on the clipons...

now that everything is out of the way, grab the headlight mounts and slide them up so you can slip the clipons on with them at the same time. so slip them on and push the headlight mounts and clipons back down.

one of the things that you want to do is with the woodcrafts tighten the bolts close to the inside the most, and leave the ones on the outside loose so you can tighten later. because thoes are the ones you are going to be able to reach.

now that you have that back on, put the headlight back on and screen, re-route your wires (take a look at how i did mine) and drill your holes in the clipon bars for the pegs in the backside of the controls on the handle bars... and mount it all back up.. and your good to go!!!

I love it by the way, makes the bike looks awesome.. check it out!

in the next shots you will see that it just makes it inbetween the headlight mounting brackets...

and there you have it!!!!

and them me on the new bike... it looks great and rides and feels awesome!!!!

·
Registered
426 Posts
awesome write up! im very excited to see they work with the stock headlight brackets! honestly how do they feel? is it at all uncomfortable and it the bike harder to control while going slow?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly not as bad as a sport bike... like they are wider for sure... but lower dont think so... going slow isnt that bad at alll... i mean they look mean as hell and its great.. love it!

but its not really that bad at all...

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
you know if you don't want them that wide, you can always slide the tube further in towards the headlight. that's the beauty of clipons, you can make them as wide or as narrow as you want them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
they are in as far as they can go without pinching lines and everything... and they fit perfect with how far they are out and the controls so they dont hit the frame...

I know i can move them in, but honestly dont think i would want them to move in closer...

·
Registered
426 Posts
alabaster said:
Me likey. Was thinking of clip ons, but I think all said and done it'll end up w/ a drag bar.
i have a drag bar now and its not satisfying me really :( i want clip ons!

how long have you ridden since you put the clips ons on? im wondering how they would feel on the highway for a while?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Entrust said:
i have a drag bar now and its not satisfying me really :( i want clip ons!

how long have you ridden since you put the clips ons on? im wondering how they would feel on the highway for a while?
its a little more harsh on the wrists, but like i said before, nothing worse then a r6, gsxr or similar...

·
Registered
24 Posts
He man great job and great write up.

I am about to do the same conversion but with svs clipons I have the upper triple as well.

I was just wondering what kind of mirrors you are using or going to use?? I am looking for a little inspiration. (or if anyone else has some pics or suggestions).
Small and slick ;)

Good luck with the bike

·
Registered
241 Posts
Dang, you beat me to it. I was JUST going ot do this write up... possibly tonight, but you did a dang good job. Great pics too.

I did my swap with the stock SVS clip ons and upper triple, which, was a bit more of a PITA than this on. i might post up a few pics of what mine looks like with the SVS clip ons tonight.

If anyone needs any advice lemme know, I will help the best i can.

·
Registered
291 Posts
That seems like a very uncomfortable riding position now more aggressive than a gsxr.

·
Premium Member
8,126 Posts
its a little more harsh on the wrists, but like i said before, nothing worse then a r6, gsxr or similar...
Having ridden both newer R6's and GSXR's, and my own personal SVN with Woodcrafts I can say that IMO the SVN is very uncomfortable with the Woodcrafts in comparison. The seating position and ergonomics were very harsh for anything over 150miles. This is why I now have LSL Offset Match clip ons.

Put the Woodcrafts on a track tool where you are moving around all lap and only on it for short stints? I am sure that would be no problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nice write up.

Having ridden both newer R6's and GSXR's, and my own personal SVN with Woodcrafts I can say that IMO the SVN is very uncomfortable with the Woodcrafts in comparison. The seating position and ergonomics were very harsh for anything over 150miles. This is why I now have LSL Offset Match clip ons
I was thinking of getting the LSL Offests, The woodcrafts look a little too low for me, I've been waiting to see if anyone could compare the two. Seems like the LSL's are a better fit for me.

·
Premium Member
8,126 Posts
Nice write up.

I was thinking of getting the LSL Offests, The woodcrafts look a little too low for me, I've been waiting to see if anyone could compare the two. Seems like the LSL's are a better fit for me.
There is a write up with pics from me somewhere, follow the link in my signature and look around my Mod Session posts for it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I did the same mod based on this thread. I'd like to mention a couple of things, which I don't believe where mentioned, for anyone else thinking about doing this.

If you look at the pictures you notices that there are no front turn signal lights. The stock ones are too big and get in the way of the controls. You will have to replace them with something smaller.

Another thing, if I turn the wheel all the way over to the left the clip-on bracket will hit the frame of the bike. If I turn the wheel all the way to the right a screw from one of the wires going into the controls will hit the frame of the bike. I might be able to adjust the right side controls so the screw doesn't hit but something will. I have the clip-on brackets turned out as far as the headlight brackets will let me. If I remove the head light bracket I should be able to turn out the clip-ons enough so that nothing should the frame.

I haven't had a chance to ride the bike much since but I don't think hitting the frame will be a problem except for those tight turns or if the bike goes down.

Something else to keep in mind are the mirrors. There isn't much room at the end of the bars after positioning the controls to keep them from interfering with the headlight. I plan on installing some bar-end mirrors on the little amount of space left at the end of the clip-ons and use some tie downs to secure them. The other option is to used the stock mickey mouse mirrors.

So far I like them. When I first sat on the bike they seem really low was afraid they might be too low. But after a quick ride they didn't seem that bad.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Honestly not as bad as a sport bike... like they are wider for sure... but lower dont think so... going slow isnt that bad at alll... i mean they look mean as hell and its great.. love it!

but its not really that bad at all...
Trust me, in the position you have them, they are definitely lower than a repli-racer. Either you've got long arms or an incredible tolerance to discomfort. Ride a few 300 miles days (and do some slabbing) and I bet you'll feel a bit different...

I had Woodcraft's on my '03, but I did the install a bit different. I cut out a 1" section of the headlight mounts and welded 'em back up. Made it much more comfortable than having them mounted an inch blow the triple clamps. If you find the position yours are in uncomfortable, you may want to try this route. It won't cost you much to have a shop cut and reweld the headlight mounts.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts