Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question folks. My SV starts and runs fine (no choke required), but it won't fire up unless I crack the throttle open (1/4) and warm it up for 30 seconds or so at 2k RPMs. After that it's all crimson and clover (idles 1300ish). Any ideas why it won't start without giving it the sprus?

Thanks! :eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
226 Posts
That's pretty normal. Why not use the choke?

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Sounds more or less like my startup. With the carbs and all the first gens can be moody about starting. Either keep on doing this, or use the choke, I don't think it will matter either way. Oh, just don't like bang it off the rev limiter or anything.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm in Dallas, so elevation wouldn't be the issue.

I guess I'm being a little picky about it. I just put the bike back together (was wrecked and parked in a friend's garage for a year) and I'm still touchy about it being "perfect" mechanically before I start paint work.

Sounds like it's behavior is pretty typical. Just seems odd to have to use the choke when it's 80deg outside. Now that I think about it, my 2001 R6 (carbs) was fussy about staring too. Hmmm

C

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
normal in any temp to need a little choke to start a cold engine

if it still needs choke after it's been warmed up, that's not normal

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts
On a warm day mine starts perfectly with 1/2-full choke and throttle shut, or no choke and 1/4 throttle for 10-30 seconds.

I prefer to use the choke so it can warm up a wee bit while I put on my helmet and gloves.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quick question folks. My SV starts and runs fine (no choke required), but it won't fire up unless I crack the throttle open (1/4) and warm it up for 30 seconds or so at 2k RPMs. After that it's all crimson and clover (idles 1300ish). Any ideas why it won't start without giving it the sprus?

Thanks! :eek:ccasion14:
thats the point of a choke. It just holds the throttle open for you.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mmmm, not exactly. The choke changes the mix of fuel and air entering the engine by reducing airflow. The richer fuel mixture burns more easily in a cold engine.

·
Registered
603 Posts
This is probably a silly question, but when u pull on the choke, the plungers pull in allowing a more rich air to fuel ratio no? I just had to make sure plungers don't plug up when pulled down.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts