Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after todays ride. I noticed that i was having trouble shifting from neutral to first starting up from stop lights. i had to shift and reshift 4-5 times in 4 different incidents. my oils was over filled also. did that cause some damage? is this just what happens sometimes? should this go to the shop or should i ride for a few more days?

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Agin and again

Overfilling will cause poor shifting. However, all constant mesh transmissions have the occasional balky shifting into neutral.

Assuming your clutch is adjusted properly, just keep pressure on the shift lever and ease the clutch out. The bike will pop into gear and you will take off normally. If you want to shift into first early, hold the front brake (you should be doing this when you're stopped anyway), put a bit of pressure on shift lever, ease the clutch out until the trans pops into first, declutch You are ready to go.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
I get that non shift into 1st deal too, not often but sometimes. However I just release the clutch lever and then re-grip it again and it will shift into 1st from neutral every time. And my oil level is fine and it's not rotella either.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Nexus242 said:
I get that non shift into 1st deal too, not often but sometimes. However I just release the clutch lever and then re-grip it again and it will shift into 1st from neutral every time. And my oil level is fine and it's not rotella either.
+1

·
Registered
212 Posts
Glad to see that I'm not the only one who's been having this problem as well. It sort of freaks me out and makes me want to avoid putting it in neutral at a stop (of course it isn't considered the best practice to be in neutral at a stop anyway). I'll give the pressure on the lever and slowly release the clutch a shot and see if that helps. On a brand new '06 I wouldn't have expected this, though. :-\

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
morihei said:
Glad to see that I'm not the only one who's been having this problem as well.  It sort of freaks me out and makes me want to avoid putting it in neutral at a stop (of course it isn't considered the best practice to be in neutral at a stop anyway).  I'll give the pressure on the lever and slowly release the clutch a shot and see if that helps.  On a brand new '06 I wouldn't have expected this, though.   :-\
you'll get used to it. pretty much all MC trannies do this. it has nothing to do with how new your bike is. when stuck in neutral, release clutch and re-engage clutch, then shift into 1st.

·
Registered
212 Posts
ridesideways said:
you'll get used to it. pretty much all MC trannies do this. it has nothing to do with how new your bike is. when stuck in neutral, release clutch and re-engage clutch, then shift into 1st.
I'll definitely give it a shot. Thanks!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Not a good idea in general to sit at a light in neutral, unless it's a long light and you need to stretch your clutch hand. That being said, sometimes if you're in neutral, first won't engage because the dog-teeth aren't lined up quite right. Just roll the bike a little and try to engage first as it's rolling.

·
Registered
212 Posts
squirrels said:
Not a good idea in general to sit at a light in neutral, unless it's a long light and you need to stretch your clutch hand. That being said, sometimes if you're in neutral, first won't engage because the dog-teeth aren't lined up quite right. Just roll the bike a little and try to engage first as it's rolling.
Being in neutral at a light isn't something that I normally do with the exceptions that you gave (long light, need a stretch, etc.). And I appreciate the explanation for what may be causing the issue. I'm basically the furthest thing from a mechanic that you can find, so having a better understanding of how this machine behaves definitely is a plus for me.

·
Hall Monitor
2,738 Posts
morihei said:
On a brand new '06 I wouldn't have expected this, though.   :-\
The reason you bike is doing this is becuase it is a brand new bike. Without going into a long, detailed treatise on motorcycle transmissions, let it suffice that after 3,000 miles or so this shouldn't happen.

·
Registered
212 Posts
bmetz99 said:
The reason you bike is doing this is becuase it is a brand new bike. Without going into a long, detailed treatise on motorcycle transmissions, let it suffice that after 3,000 miles or so this shouldn't happen.
Fantastic! Thanks for the good news. ;D

·
Registered
80 Posts
I get this all the time.. just give it a little gas, release clutch a bit from friction zone... pull clutch in and shift to 1st.. works all the time for me..

·
Registered
212 Posts
svnubee said:
I get this all the time.. just give it a little gas, release clutch a bit from friction zone... pull clutch in and shift to 1st.. works all the time for me..
More options out of the problem the better I feel. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
squirrels said:
+1 I just roll the bike a wee bit and it pops right in, only happens once in a blue moon though.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Once again I chant the mantra:

What you experienced is common with constant mesh motorcycle transmissions, especially transmissions with relatively low mileage. It takes more than 7,000 miles to before the SV transmission is loosened up. To ensure that shifting is optimized:

1. Make sure the release mechanism (under the front sprocket cover) is adjusted properly. Download a manual to see how to adjust it. It's easy, and all generations are the same.
2. Make sure your oil isn't due for a change, especially on bikes that don't get ridden often.
3. Adjust the freeplay at the lever per the owner's manual.
4. Make sure the foot linkage is adjusted properly and is clean and properly lubricated. Imagine a line drawn between the pivot point and where the connecting rod attaches on each lever. Those two lines should be as parallel as practical. This may involve moving the lever on the transmission a tooth or two.

For those having difficulty getting into 1st at a full stop, just keep steady pressure down on the shift lever and slip the clutch a tad. It will drop right into gear. Rocking back and forth looks amateurish.

This same issue pops up at least weekly.

·
Registered
212 Posts
andyauger said:
This same issue pops up at least weekly.
I must have missed those weekly forum posts about having difficulty going from neutral to first, Andy. Sorry. But I actually did find another post about this with your same comments when I did a search for this issue and found this particular thread. I appreciated your comments then as I do now. I was simply posting in this particular thread to mention that it was an issue that I had too. Perhaps it was a waste of bandwidth, but hell I figured I'd participate in the community. ;)

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
I have a similar problem that happens a few times a week.

While rolling to a stop and downshifting from 2nd to 1st, I get a chattering vibration in the shift lever. Recently I noticed that the trans is in neutral after this occurs. While still holding the clutch, I try again to get to 1st... same result. I then release the clutch just enough to feel the friction and attempt to get to 1st yet again and then all is well.

I hope I'm not grinding any teeth down when this happens, but then again thats what the warranty is for. ::)

·
Registered
114 Posts
squirrels said:
I know this has come up before but I don't know what's wrong with putting the tranny in neutral at a light? I do this almost all the time without any problems and have never needed a quick escape that necessitated keeping the bike in 1st with the clutch disengaged. Are there other reasons for keeping the tranny in gear? Thanks, Mike.

·
Registered
212 Posts
camberthrust said:
Are there other reasons for keeping the tranny in gear?
I think, Mike, that the idea of staying in gear is along the same line as placing your hand over your front brake as you go through an intersection. It's just that much less time to actually react to a problem.

At least that's what I've been trained to believe.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
you have never needed to, neither have I. but there will be a time.... I havent needed my helmet yet either.... but I still wear it

1 - 20 of 23 Posts