Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I just bought a 03 sv1000s with 8600 miles on it..........I love it! Only problem is that I can't get the bike into neutral while running, just jumps right past it. It will go into neutral easily while the engine is off though. Has anyone else had this problem.......anyone know the fix? Thanks.

Jim

·
Registered
100 Posts
Try changing your oil i haven't had this problem on my sv1000 but my 650 would do that whenever it wanted an oil change. I f you have changed the oil since you bought the bike than I would check your clutch fluid reservior to make sure there is enough hydralic fluid

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! The oil change is one of my projects this weekend. The oil is definitely over filled and I'm pretty sure it's over due for an oil change. That's an easy fix so I hope you're right! Thanks again!

Jim

·
Registered
413 Posts
Mine does that all the time, even with oil changes and clutch adjustments. I'm beginning to suspect a warped clutch plate. Don't be surprised if you put it in gear with the clutch pulled and it gently tries to roll forward. Mine does that occasionally too. Got the bike with less than 1k and now with over 10k it still does it.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll let you guys know after this weekends oil change.

·
Registered
43 Posts
jdiddy127 said:
The oil is definitely over filled and I'm pretty sure it's over due for an oil change. 
Jim
Well that's your problem M8... Your oil level being to high will keep it from going into neutral.

3.1 quarts with filter change.

Cheers

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, changed the oil and filter last night. The bike shifts into Neutral fine when the bike is cool or at running temp. The problem seems to occur when I stop, shut if off and the temp jumps to around 200F. I seem to remember hearing this somewhere else, maybe on another board. Oh, and the bike does lurch a little when I put it in first, not too bad though.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I have the same problem on occasion with mine not wanting to shift in to neutral when running or when shut off. The only "remedy" that I've found is to let the clutch out slightly and let the bike roll forward about a foot before it wants to shift. It's pretty much always been this way since I've had it.

On another note --Get that baby ready for the weekend!!! ;D Our other 650 rider is back from Cali, we need to get his bike back in running condition and we'll have the three 650s and your 1000 out this weekend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts