Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ivan said:
There is a big problem with wind roar on a bike. Wind roar on the freeway is quite high.

Here's what you can do...
1. Buy the more expensive noise-canceling ear-buds. They double as earplugs. Without the noise-canceling circuitry the wind roar will overwhelm whatever you are trying to listen to.
2. Solid-state flash MP3 with a joystick rather than buttons. It can be very hard to press buttons with gloves on a bike.
How did you mount the actual unit to the bike, can you provide pics if possible, thanks.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ivan said:
There is a big problem with wind roar on a bike. Wind roar on the freeway is quite high.

Here's what you can do...
1. Buy the more expensive noise-canceling ear-buds. They double as earplugs. Without the noise-canceling circuitry the wind roar will overwhelm whatever you are trying to listen to.
2. Solid-state flash MP3 with a joystick rather than buttons. It can be very hard to press buttons with gloves on a bike.
Also if you own a pair that works good could you give me the model # and the manufacturer or a link or a throw me a bone here, hahah

Thanks JON

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I have a pair of shure E2C's and just as a head's up you can get them for $70 or less (I got mine for $62 off some website I found through bizrate.com) and they work fairly well for noise cancelling, but you better have a good sized ear because it's torture on small people (a friend of mine can't even fit them properly.)

I've ridden with them on before and it works pretty good to the point where you really only hear outside noises when it's changing songs or it's on a quiet song...it's not completely noise-cancelling...

·
Registered
285 Posts
Okay, here's what I did:

Bought this for $70 on sale at Circuit City:

It's literally the size of a pack of gum, and it runs forever on just one AAA, I love it!

Then bought these for $15, KOSS Sparkplugs:

Finally, used a hot nail to make holes through these (get a big jar at Walgreens for $8 ):

And installed them in place of the stock foam on the headphones.

The result:
Nice quiet ride with clear music and low wind noise. When the disposable foam gets icky, toss it and make another pair, slip it onto the headphones, and ride on.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Not to be a safety nazi...

but doesn't it seem slightly counterintuitive to give up your road hearing (while it is limited with wind noise, its not completely gone) when you're on a vehicle that's invisible to the cagers?

Just a thought.

G

·
jdt141 said:
Not to be a safety nazi...

but doesn't it seem slightly counterintuitive to give up your road hearing (while it is limited with wind noise, its not completely gone) when you're on a vehicle that's invisible to the cagers?

Just a thought.
I would only use them on the superslab. I've heard others state same.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Twisties are great with music, the slab is way better with music, only place I don't listen is on short rides, and if I'm gonna be riding with friends.

If a car honks or skids, I can hear them just fine. Same thing as riding with earplugs. You don't ride without earplugs, do you? It's unsafe for your hearing. :p

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mizatt said:
Okay, here's what I did:

Bought this for $70 on sale at Circuit City:

It's literally the size of a pack of gum, and it runs forever on just one AAA, I love it!

Then bought these for $15, KOSS Sparkplugs:

Finally, used a hot nail to make holes through these (get a big jar at Walgreens for $8 ):

And installed them in place of the stock foam on the headphones.

The result:
Nice quiet ride with clear music and low wind noise. When the disposable foam gets icky, toss it and make another pair, slip it onto the headphones, and ride on.
This last pic didnt show up so I have no clue what your talking about.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I've been thinking about taking my headphones, Sony Fontopia, with their short cord and using them with an iPod Shuffle that's been velcro'd to the back left of my helmet. I figure the Shuffle was ideal as there's no real controls, essentially on and off with track advance, so it should be easy to manipulate with gloves on. Plus it's small and unobtrusive and uses flash memory so there's really nothing to break. As for velcro'd to the helmet -- I figure this is an easy spot to reach while riding, no wires running to the bike (from the helmet to your ears) and in the event of a crash the velcro should cause the shuffle to detach so there's nothing to catch your helmet on.

Shuffle Controls:

·
Registered
895 Posts
I like my 40GB Ipod, build a couple of 2-hour playlists and you're set for a tankful. I keep it in my pocket.
Once you get accustomed to the sound level you need, there's rarely a need to reach for the Ipod controls.
I'm using the $40 sony earbuds, but the cord connection to the bud part gets ripped real easy when I take off my helmet. I like Miz'z idea instead.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Son6y now has a lanyard with built in head phones. You can plug a Mini into the jack and it hangs from your neck like a necklace. My buddy swears by this set up.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I also use the sony fontopias. Headphones themselves are great but the different length wires for right and left which supposedly reduce some kind of snagging or something do the opposite. Still, they're the best I've used. I just wear them under the helmet and put the MP3 player (SD memory, I'm not a fan of the HD based players) in my pocket.

My friend however did the following:

Bought small 1/8" headphone jack female end from radio shack. You could alternately take one from an old/busted walkman, radio, whatever if you have one.

Bought some standard over the ear headphones and removed the center thing that holds them on your head.

Drilled small hole in the back of the helmet.

Glued in 1/8" headphone jack.

Cut helmet padding and glued the earpieces into the helmet right about where his ears are with it on.

Soldered headphone wires to the 1/8" connector. (This guy is an electronics geek, not sure if this is a straight solder or requires some kind of technical skill)

Velco holds the MP3 player to the dash.

Male to male headphone jack plugs into the helmet jack.

Sounds kind of ghetto but it works and avoids the whole ripping the earbuds out of your head every time you take the helmet off thing.

Personally I think its too much work, just put the thing in your pocket and pull over if you need to change folders or something on the go.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts