Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi im 16 years old and ride a 07 drz400sm that im thinking of selling to get an 05 sv650s i typically dont travel to far from my house usually only ten miles or so but im growing kind of tired of the supermoto thing ive looked at the sv for some time my dad had an sv 1000 and loved it ive heard great things about it im just wondering if you think its a good idea? oh and im 5'8 145lbs

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
i typically dont travel to far from my house usually only ten miles or so ... oh and im 5'8 145lbs
the 650 sounds just right for you. it's light and easy to handle around town on short rides, but will do nicely if you want to go on a longer trip. you wont need the extra power of the 1000 for your size, and the 650 is more economical.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Great choice! You obviously know how to ride. As long as you have a level head you will be fine. Many here are on their high horse. Your situation is different as you are ALREADY a rider. We should give you props as you didn't choose a gsxr as your step up (probably couldn't afford the insurance anyways).

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
post up pics of the drz! i am 18 now, bought my SV in january when i was still 17. having spent years on two wheels before i am level headed and don't have anything to prove to anyone.

ride safe!

·
Registered
644 Posts
The SV is an awesome bike, tons of usable power for the street, etc. If you're only going 10 miles a day and are tried of the SM after a year or less of riding at 16...what else are you doing on the bike? You're dad knows you the best and he rides. If he thinks you're ready for the SV then I say go for it and get some sliders.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Ha ha, welcome to SVR, the land of no consensus! As far as should you get an SV? My initial reaction would be no, just based on your age (no offense buddy, it's just hard not to think that way) but it really depends on you and how you ride. Do you know your limits, and more importantly, repsect them? I know I had a hard time with the latter half of that when I was 16, and I have always been a pretty cautious guy. For all I know you have been on 2 wheels for longer then me, but not from the sounds of it. I suggest trying to test ride one, and seriously consider if you think you will be able to not just handle it, but keep yourself in check on it. From the little information we have, it sounds like you are fairly aware of yourself, at least your riding habits, so I do believe if you go into it with the right attitude, the answer will present itself.

I really am not trying to talk down to you because of your age, it's just that I am young enough to remember myself when I was 16, and it is surely for the better that I did not have a bike. But we are different people, so I can only suggest so much. Take all the advice you get here, and especially from you dad, very seriously, and I think you will formulate the right answer. Whatever you end up doing, best of luck. Oh, and I'll be happy to take that SM off your hands ;D

I do want to add, if I were only doing short trips like that, the SV would not be my choice of bikes. It would do ok, but I would go with what you already have. That or something like the Ninja 250, those things are great fun as around town rides. Although I imagine an SV would give you good reason to ride more, just my thoughts on that.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I started on the SV650 when I just turned 18. I am turning 20 now soon so I have had the bike almost 2 years. Its very easy to ride and handle but has gobbs of power. It is faster than almost any car on the road including a Lamborginhi(However its spelled) from 0-100. So it does not lack on any power. I beleive you can do it just fine, just keep yourself in check.

I have to agree with NTJordan on the fact that the SV doesnt like 10 miles trips that much. You will not be happy just riding the bike 10 miles. I would say go get one and ride it if you rode more than that.

If you think you can start riding more It would be a great bike for you, just keep yourself in check. If you cant start riding more than I would stick with the 400 or a Ninja 250-500.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
I'm on a useless opinion jag this morning, so here's my two cents: Riding isn't always about "exciting". If you're commuting 10 miles, the SM is a great bike because you have great visibility and maneuverability. It's a good tool for getting the job done and if you want to play a little it's a hoot in the curves and on a track. The SV won't radically alter those 10 miles, just raise your insurance rate. My next 2nd bike will likely be another enduro because of my 6 mile commute.

That being said: Change is often good for our minds. Your dad rides, and you might like to spend some time on the road together. A longer-legged bike would be good for that, and the SV is as good a choice as any. It does take a good bit of modifying to fir saddlebags WELL. There are hundreds of bikes out there to choose from. Ride as many as you can to help make your choice. Personal preference can't be addressed with a poll or the opinions of others. Most of us are here with an SV essentially because we like it's V-twin grunt at sane speeds and don't care about a top-end rush to get a speeding ticket. (Oh, and it's affordable!) A big part of my decision was just that the bike "fit" my body very well. I've since changed my preferences about posture and modified the bike a bit. I'd probably make a different choice in the showroom today geared toward wind protection and a more upright posture.

Don't be afraid to take some advice from your parents. At your age, they're still a big part of your life and (probably) care about sending you in the right direction. They'll be proud if you listen to them even a little instead of a bunch of on-line strangers. ;)

·
Registered
802 Posts
IMO, 16 and a street bike that can do 130+ is not a good idea. If I was 16 and had this thing, I wouldn't be here today to post this. Testosterone at 16 = bad choices. Now once you ar 16 1/2, then you probably can get one:)

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
I'd say that it depends largely on your maturity. Obviously, nobody here can answer that so I'd say take a good long look at yourself and decide if it's for you or not. Are you level headed, can you keep your cool when things get hot? Or do you do impulsive, sometimes crazy things, just because the mood strikes you? Do you fly off the handle when you get angry?

The SV650 is a powerful bike and can get you into trouble if you don't treat it with the proper respect. Most teens do stupid things because they don't think through a situation to see the possible outcomes...in short, they think they are invincible...or at least they sometimes act like they think that. ;)

As a general rule, I think it's a bad idea to unleash young adults on the roads in powerful cars or bikes. I'd say the same thing if you were 16 and looking at getting a WRX-STi or a Corvette or Porsche 911 as a first car too.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
I guess it depends if you really plan to start riding farther than 10 miles? If you plan to stay close to home like, an SV seems like over-kill and the SM seems like the right tool for the job.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I had to come back to this. 16 and on a SV is a bad idea. I dont care how mature a 16 year old THINKS he is...he still has many life lessons ahead that will teach him a thing or two. One of my first cars was a '74 Porsche 911 and boy was that a potential mistake. 95% of the time I drove it like a sane human being...that other 5% though is a different story. Of course that's just me...but how many kids (yes at 16 you're still a kid) did you know with vehicle that could do 0-60 in a touch over 3 seconds and not try to exploit that power when/where they thought they could. Most of us "adults" still do! I'd mod the SM and have as much fun with that bike as possible and in a couple years either graduate to the SV or even a SS bike if you think you're ready.

·
Registered
624 Posts
My first bike when I was 21 was the GS500. Great little starter bike. Not bad looking and has a great forum as well. Can get an older one real cheap too. It was a great transition for me from it to the SV650. I also have had no other riding experience besides bicycles. I've always been very comfortable on two wheels, but the GS was my first one with a motor. So take that how you will. Either way, ride safe!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts