Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup Fellas! So about 2 weeks ago I supposedly had a bent front axle that was bent back straight by the shop I took it to. The day before I took it there I took the bike to 135 mph and it was smooth as butter. After I got it back from the shop Ive been getting wobbles on the front wheel around 110 mph. I'm not sure if it was something the shop did or if it could have to do with the suspension. I weigh 210 and was told by another rider that bikes come off the shelves set for 170 riders. Basically I just am wondering what you guys might think could be the problem.... Thanks for your input!:)

·
Registered
827 Posts
Um, sounds like a bent axle...:nosepick:
It was never bent. The dealer was using a rear axle according to one of the OP's old threads.

Hydrasin, there's a chance the same dimwitted dealer that said you had a bent axle might not have properly balanced your tire.

Any reason to be going 135mph?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Sup Fellas! So about 2 weeks ago I supposedly had a bent front axle that was bent back straight by the shop I took it to. The day before I took it there I took the bike to 135 mph and it was smooth as butter. After I got it back from the shop Ive been getting wobbles on the front wheel around 110 mph. I'm not sure if it was something the shop did or if it could have to do with the suspension. I weigh 210 and was told by another rider that bikes come off the shelves set for 170 riders. Basically I just am wondering what you guys might think could be the problem.... Thanks for your input!:)
I wouldnt worry about it, mine spins around like a shopping cart wheel.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was never bent. The dealer was using a rear axle according to one of the OP's old threads.

Hydrasin, there's a chance the same dimwitted dealer that said you had a bent axle might not have properly balanced your tire.

Any reason to be going 135mph?
I was just seeing what the bike could do. I dont normally ride that fast...;D

·
Registered
197 Posts
My N wobbles a lot at anything 100+ - I always thought it was just a mix of road surface, crappy suspension, and magnified rider inputs. Even with the debaffled Viper and desnorked K&N airbox I run out of oomph before 135 though.

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
My N wobbles a lot at anything 100+ - I always thought it was just a mix of road surface, crappy suspension, and magnified rider inputs. Even with the debaffled Viper and desnorked K&N airbox I run out of oomph before 135 though.
your bike should be smooth at 110.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Even if it was a bent axle why in the world would you just BEND IT BACK?? :eek:
The shop that he took it to, is shady. They were trying to get him to pay for something that he didn't need. He called them on it, and they dropped it.

OP....Take the wheel to a different shop and have the wheel balanced. A different shop. Not the same one as before.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Shaky front end at one speed could be due to a number of things, all easily checked out.
First, check air pressures. 33 front, 36 rear is normal.
Next, check for tire wear. If it's uneven or "unusual" in appearance that could be an issue.
Next, check that the rear axle is the same distance from the swingarm pivot on both sides.
Next, verify that the front wheel is straight by getting off the ground and rotating it slowly with some sort of pointer or indicator on or close to the side edge of the rim.
Balance could be an issue also.

Loose headstock bearings could be a problem. With the front tire off the ground and the bars straight see if you can detect any clunking when you pull the wheel front and back. No? Good. It should take 200 to 500 grams to start the bars turning. If you get more or less than this (use a digital fishing scale) then adjust the bearings a tad.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you weren't going 135
Well thats just what the speedo said... Technically it said 136 but whatever. I read on the power commander website that the stock version of the bike tops out at about 141. I was only at 10k rpms so i think it could be right. Would have taken a bit more road tho to get there

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Shaky front end at one speed could be due to a number of things, all easily checked out.
Next, check for tire wear. If it's uneven or "unusual" in appearance that could be an issue.
Next, check that the rear axle is the same distance from the swingarm pivot on both sides.
Next, verify that the front wheel is straight by getting off the ground and rotating it slowly with some sort of pointer or indicator on or close to the side edge of the rim.

Loose headstock bearings could be a problem. With the front tire off the ground and the bars straight see if you can detect any clunking when you pull the wheel front and back. No? Good. It should take 200 to 500 grams to start the bars turning. If you get more or less than this (use a digital fishing scale) then adjust the bearings a tad.
Well ive done all but the last on that check list. I'll have to borrow my buddies front stand for that one. Thanks for the tips! ;D

·
Registered
4,183 Posts

good stuff.
if everything else checks out, look at the date on the tire. they may have given you an old piece of crap that's ready to fall apart. i'm suspicious since in the other thread you mentioned they gave it to you free when you called them on the axle. who would give away a $100 + tire free?

·
Registered
522 Posts
135 mph? Maybe the wobbles at 110 was your bike telling you "you take me to 135 again and I'll eject your a$$."

·
Registered
322 Posts
my wheel wobbles on decel at any speed. I took it back to the shop and the wheel checked out OK on their machine. When I mean wobble, I mean the grips shake side to side. I have clip ons so I thought that might be the problem, but they never did it on the previous front.

I cant wait to change the front tire again to see whats going on. It is a bit worrying when it happens, but I can live with it. For now.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts