Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Thumper Squad
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm such a geek.....

I wanna wire up some LED's for headlights on my vintage Tyco Turbo Bandit and have no idea how. Anyone? She's getting a new paint job ATM.......

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Tyco? Badass.

LEDs are very low voltage. You could have a seperate battery with inline resistors for just the lights, or wire htem into the main battery with some major resistors.

·
Thumper Squad
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tyco? Badass.

LEDs are very low voltage. You could have a seperate battery with inline resistors for just the lights, or wire htem into the main battery with some major resistors.
Tyco...yes

Speak English as if you were trying to teach a 5yr old how to do this......;D

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
tell us more about how the truck is powered (battery pack voltage, speed control...) and we can be more specific. how do you want the lights switched?

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Tyco...yes

Speak English as if you were trying to teach a 5yr old how to do this......;D
Haha dude thats as English as I can get. Ok get some LEDs, find out the voltage to run them. It shouldn't be much. One AA or two AA batteries should do it. Wire them all together with a switch. Bahhhhhhhh phuck it I can't teach a 5 year old anything except where to throw their poop.

·
Thumper Squad
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tell us more about how the truck is powered (battery pack voltage, speed control...) and we can be more specific. how do you want the lights switched?
9.6 volt battery pack is all i know.......

·
Thumper Squad
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha dude thats as English as I can get. Ok get some LEDs, find out the voltage to run them. It shouldn't be much. One AA or two AA batteries should do it. Wire them all together with a switch. Bahhhhhhhh phuck it I can't teach a 5 year old anything except where to throw their poop.

I hear ya.....;D and my daughter is 5

·
Registered
362 Posts
You can either splice them inline with a servos power supply(you may even have a spare one on your receiver) or, do like I did and just wire them up with a 9V battery as a power source. I think velcro'd the battery to the inside of the shell.

I'm already late for work, but I'll post pics either at lunch or this afternoon when I get home.

http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz
^^that helped me figure out what resistor I need. Just put in all the info, select wiring diagram, and click design my array. The "R = *** ohms" is the size resistor you need.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
First of all, that is so freaking sweet. It's a vintage Tyco AND you put a Nissan Hardbody kit on it! SUHWEET!

Details?

·
Registered
362 Posts

The finish work under the body aint so purdy, but I don't care. It gets covered with dirt daily :p All the connections are soldered, just taped over for a little extra protection from the elements.

Obviously those holders may not be so great for your application. I'm not sure how much light the rectangular LEDs actually emit. The ones I installed are 5mm super bright white LEDs from RadioShack. I want to say they were like $1.99 for 2? Anyway, the biggest hurdle is trying to work them into the body so they aren't horribly glaring.

The body I installed these on is totally for bashing. My brother's bulldog actually picked up the whole car by the body and shook it when he caught it. The right rear corner is cracked, etc, etc...I wasn't too concerned about getting them perfectly centered or looking that great...I just need to be able to see where the car was in the dark. I need to throw some tail lights on it so I can see it when its driving away, though :)

·
Thumper Squad
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the pics and the info.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts