Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While making rev.2 brackets for the headlight (rev.1 shown below) I started wiring it in. The wiring is simple, just use three 1/4" male spade connectors and plug them into the stock plug, join 1 of each of the wires form the high and low beam bulbs together for the ground... that is to say you have 4 wires, 2 for each bulb, put one wire from each bulb into the same spade connector (for the ground) and then 1 wire for low and one for high.

Now for the high/low beam mod...
You can use it wired like this, BUT the bike is wired to give you EITHER the high beam OR the low beam but not both at the same time. This is a problem 'cuz the Blitz doesn't make much light. To counter this I'm going to aim my light low and modify the wiring to run both lights when I put the high beams on. This way when I'm out in the sticks I can run both lights and not piss off on-coming drivers.

Basically what you need to do is...
Get an automotive quality SPST relay (SPST = single pole throw) from Pepboys or equivalent (~$5). The relay has 4 terminals, wire them as follows, the package will tell you which terminal is which...

Trigger terminal 1 - ground
Trigger terminal 2 - high beam plug on harness

"High power" (AKA switched) terminal 1 (input) - low beam bulb and 12V+ from switched source
"High power" terminal 2 (output) - high beam bulb

The low beam wiring off the harness is not used as the bulb will be powered from the relay input terminal, the high beam wiring off the harness is used to switch on the relay and send power to the high beam bulb WITHOUT turning off the low beam.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same headlight on a bandit 600. Wired up both lights for high, just the high for low beams. I left both on all the time. Even with both lights on, I think they are dimmer than the stock sv low beams. Keep in mind the lights are only rated for offroad, not DOT approved for onroad use. I was in the process of finding higher watt bulbs, but I opted for a sexy silver 03 svs instead....

S

·
0 Posts
Donnie,

A reminder... can you post the plans for the custom bracket? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SandMan said:
Donnie,

A reminder... can you post the plans for the custom bracket? Thanks.
I had to make a few revisions, tonight I'm planning on finishing them up... I'll trace them out and scan them for you. You will probably need to modify my design 'cuz I'm using the clip-ons and had to flip the brackets...

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow... you picked up an old thread!!!

I gave up on it and put a 1,000,000 candlepower spotlight in the Blitz housing. It was pretty cheap and easy. It works well but only supports a single filament bulb so there's no high beam.

I did a write up on that too ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts