Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone seen or tried this? It looks interesting (if not a bit pricey) but I can see it being a good deal for someone does a lot of touring. Personally I'd look at taking the guts out of the keyring and mounting in a waterproof housing near the instruments.

http://www.bigbikeparts.com/Inventory/Navision/13-315?catalogNo=1

·
Registered
102 Posts
That is sweet but for $195 it seems a little ridiculous. I can think of much better mods to do with that money. I have a buddy that does 35K miles a year on his bike, so I will defiantly pass this on to him.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
That is sweet but for $195 it seems a little ridiculous. I can think of much better mods to do with that money. I have a buddy that does 35K miles a year on his bike, so I will defiantly pass this on to him.
+1

I would love something like this on all of my vehicles.. too bad its way too expensive

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I'm leary of pressure monitors like that, to measure the pressure, they have to keep the schrader valve partially open, the only thing holding the air in is the threads of the cap

lot of money to spend only to increase your chances of a flat, I will continue to monitor the pressure in my tires by the seat of my pants. and regulare pressure checks

·
Registered
608 Posts
I'm leary of pressure monitors like that, to measure the pressure, they have to keep the schrader valve partially open, the only thing holding the air in is the threads of the cap

lot of money to spend only to increase your chances of a flat, I will continue to monitor the pressure in my tires by the seat of my pants. and regulare pressure checks
Yup. The ones that are hose clamped to the wheel are a much better idea.

·
Registered
358 Posts
These are, I assume, heavier than the standard caps. Wouldn't that extra weight cause the air valve to move in ways it's not supposed to? I've seen discussions on another forum about the LED caps and this concern always comes up, including at least one person who has seen it happen.

It is kinda cool, though.

·
Registered
108 Posts
RandyO gives up an interesting point. How would these compare to the ones supplied by automobile manufacturers? Surely, they too would have noticed something like that. I don't think they would risk increasing the chances of flats --> accidents --> lawsuits for some extra convenience.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
The deal breaker for me was the cost of replacement sensors. I already have valve caps go missing. I wouldn't want to pay to replace a few of these sensors.

·
Registered
608 Posts
RandyO gives up an interesting point. How would these compare to the ones supplied by automobile manufacturers? Surely, they too would have noticed something like that. I don't think they would risk increasing the chances of flats --> accidents --> lawsuits for some extra convenience.
With an automotive installed one it is usually part of the valvestem on the inside of the wheel, or held on w/ a band style clamp to the inside of the wheel. Neither of which hold open the valve to check pressure.

·
Registered
257 Posts
With an automotive installed one it is usually part of the valvestem on the inside of the wheel, or held on w/ a band style clamp to the inside of the wheel. Neither of which hold open the valve to check pressure.
thats the way to go if you are considering this. i worked as a tire tech for a couple years and more than a few times people came in with a flat and caused by led/tire pressure monitering caps. whats even better is that a couple of them rode with no pressure in their tires for too long, so they had to pay for new ones...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts