Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright, I know I axed this before but I gotta know. Is there any way to put good old spoked wheels on the SV. I know I saw a Fast by Ferraci Ducati sporting them once, I just can't find that information either.

G

·
0 Posts
The Wheel Shop here in Phoenix, AZ. can probably build anything that you want. I can't understand why you would want to go to wire wheels however. Most will preclude the use of modern tubeless tires.

Glenn

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ewww. Glenn brings up a point I had not considered. Can't you roll tubeless tires with the tubes? what about the Triumph Thruxton?

I have always loved the timeless look of wire wheels and especially on a naked, would give it a cool retro flavor.

·
Registered
551 Posts
u can roll tubless tires with the tubes....but do you really want to? if for say u did get some spoked wheels for your bike. what happens if you get a flat? or a spoke is loose and punctures a hole in your tube?
before all that you have to find a tube that will fit in the tire....

G

·
0 Posts
Tube and tubless tires are designed very differently. Tube tires are designed to have the tube it self supplying the support and not to chafe on the tube. Tube tires do not worry about leaking air, the tube takes care of that!

Tubless tires worry about leaking air and buliding up heat. There is no tube to help with this. Plus, they are not designed to have a tube inside of them, so there is no gaurentee as to how they will react with an inner tube.

Glenn

·
Registered
836 Posts
I think your best bet is to look at production bikes on the market with wire rims....

For example, the Thruxton uses tubeless tires...buy a set of those...then worry about mounting them.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I lot of new bikes that have spoked wheels (cruisers) come with tubless tires with tubes in them

if you get a flat, you have to pull the tube out and patch it or replace it like any other tube type tire no different, loose spokes will not poke a hole thru the tube

all you have to do is find the spoked wheels

·
Registered
66 Posts
RandyO said:
I lot of new bikes that have spoked wheels (cruisers) come with tubless tires with tubes in them

if you get a flat, you have to pull the tube out and patch it or replace it like any other tube type tire no different, loose spokes will not poke a hole thru the tube

all you have to do is find the spoked wheels

+1

There is no problem with this at all. Ya, the tire will run marginally hotter w. the tube, particularly on long freeway drones, but who cares? I think it would be super-cool! A bit pricey, but cool...certainly alot more interesting than polished wheel lips or whatever...I don't know why anyone even bothers doing that. I didn't like them when they came stock on my 80's bikes, and I still don't. :)

N

·
0 Posts
I was thinking that finding suitable rubber would be the hard part of this, but with supermoto gaining ground, 17" rims and sporting tires are available now.

The really hard part is going to be locating a suitable dual disk hub to transplant. Even with Suzuki's penchant for parts swapping, I can't recall a cruiser sharing the same bits as the SV/Katana/ GSXR front end we have. You would have to find a donor somewhere or have the whole hub custom made. Even if you did find some late '70s parts that would fit you would still need to have substantial machining done: it needs to be properly sized and have flanges for dual rotors or at least enough material to allow them to be turned down to match SV rotors, or whatever else you can make fit.

You would also need to move the speedo drive to the rear or replace it completely with something else.

The easiest and cheapest way to do this would be to graft on a front end and rear wheel from some other bike, although almost anything you can think of will be functionally inferior to what you already have.

Now, it you went to a single disk in front you might be able to use the front wheel and brake assy from the DR-Z400SM, and just fabricate a caliper mount (could also use the DR-Z's cable drive speedo while your at it).

Interesting idea, doable but expensive!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
that bike looks awesome

T

·
0 Posts
Holy cow that SV is gorgeous!

Anyways...another data point. I ran tubeless on spoke rims on my CB750 without issue: leaks, heat, anything. I rode them pretty hard too - a heavy bike in AZ where the temperatures were ridiculous - you could literally fry an egg on the asphalt.

·
Registered
66 Posts
nc_sv650 said:
I was thinking that finding suitable rubber would be the hard part of this, but with supermoto gaining ground, 17" rims and sporting tires are available now.

The really hard part is going to be locating a suitable dual disk hub to transplant. Even with Suzuki's penchant for parts swapping, I can't recall a cruiser sharing the same bits as the SV/Katana/ GSXR front end we have. You would have to find a donor somewhere or have the whole hub custom made. Even if you did find some late '70s parts that would fit you would still need to have substantial machining done: it needs to be properly sized and have flanges for dual rotors or at least enough material to allow them to be turned down to match SV rotors, or whatever else you can make fit.
I dont' get why tires are at issue? You can get a spoked rim in any imaginable size...it would be no problem to get the stock SV rim sizes in the spoked rim...bt if I were going to the trouble, I'd go with a 5.5" rear! :)

Also, it occurs to me that the Triumph Thunderbird sport has spokes, modern rim sizes, and dual discs...start calling salvage yards!

N

·
0 Posts
Most of the rubber that goes on SVs is sporting or sport touring, which are commonly available only in 17" dia while most spoked wheels are (or were, now that we have supermoto) 16, 18, 19" diameter. I was thinking more along the lines of good donor bikes than lacing up one's own wheels (do-able, but a solid 7 on the PITA scale).

:)

·
Registered
186 Posts
i have seen it done on a monster dark, w/ black spokes, chrome rim. it is HOT.

I wonder if you could use supermoto wheels/tire combo.
???

/end

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
holy shit this is great info. I'm thinking like nc_sv650 said and trying to figure out a swap in with least amount of effort and $ outlay. That black SV is Exactly what I had in mind. I'll be checking on the bike Craig mentioned and the Triumph T-Bird. Not worried so much about the tire deal. I remembered I ran tubless chen sheng sport tires on my old CB450.

I'm not so sure I wanna lay out $2000+ for someone to lace up some one off wheels. I'm thinking like hubs from donor and if the rims are wrong, lace them as 17". I'm really kinda thinking out loud here.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts