Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the early 2nd gen wiring diagram, I have some confusion. The regulator rectifier has two positive wire out. Both go direct to main fuse, but one splits off toward some other sections, some fused, some not. Essentially runs without fuse to ignition switch then tees off to left handlebar switch, still without fuse. I can see it nears fused sections, but maybe I'm giving up before I get the complete path... or I'm simply not comprehending.

This came up because I'm installing a MOSFET R/R and considering direct, heavy wiring stator to R/R, then R/R to battery. If I do that, it looks like the first tee I mentioned above is bypassed, unless the idea is that power will always be running back thru the main fuse from the battery side and to the rest of the electrical system. If that's the case, and I put a 30A fuse between R/R and battery, then there will be two 30A fuses between R/R and rest of electrical system. Is that right? None of the R/R mod threads I've read address this redundancy or that the power is basically just running "backward" thru the main fuse/starter relay always

http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120691

·
Super Moderator
8,536 Posts
Looking at the early 2nd gen wiring diagram, I have some confusion. The regulator rectifier has two positive wire out. Both go direct to main fuse, but one splits off toward some other sections, some fused, some not. Essentially runs without fuse to ignition switch then tees off to left handlebar switch, still without fuse. I can see it nears fused sections, but maybe I'm giving up before I get the complete path... or I'm simply not comprehending.

This came up because I'm installing a MOSFET R/R and considering direct, heavy wiring stator to R/R, then R/R to battery. If I do that, it looks like the first tee I mentioned above is bypassed, unless the idea is that power will always be running back thru the main fuse from the battery side and to the rest of the electrical system. If that's the case, and I put a 30A fuse between R/R and battery, then there will be two 30A fuses between R/R and rest of electrical system. Is that right? None of the R/R mod threads I've read address this redundancy or that the power is basically just running "backward" thru the main fuse/starter relay always
I agree with everything stated except B/R teeing-off and running to the left handlebar switch. I do not see that on the wiring diagram.

It is true, if the R/R is wired direct-to-battery then current will run "backwards" through the main fuse, but not a problem.

Also true, direct-to-battery will result in two 30A fuses between the R/R and the rest of the electrical system.

Direct-to-battery is nice on the gen1 as it eliminates a connector in the charge circuit path (excellent, fewer connector is always good) but I do not think that is the case for the gen2.

From a design standpoint it is "clean" to see the R/R go direct to the battery, not into the main harness and split paths, but electrically it is not necessary. Heavy wiring direct to the battery gives slightly higher charging voltage and better voltage regulation at the battery terminals but is not solving a problem. The difference in charging current is insignificant.

Question: Why do this mod on a gen2? The gen2 SV have zero issue with the R/R failing even though SCR type and not the cooler running MOSFET type. The gen2 SCR R/R may be better designed than the gen1 or could be that being mounted up front with better airflow makes the difference, either way, the stock gen2 R/R and wiring is fine as is.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts