Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys ! This will be my first winter when my lovely bike will be standing outside since I bought it this year in june. I was curious if its better to take it to storage or let it see some snow by saving some bucks. What are the risks of storage outside in the parking lot as opposed to inside ? Thanks for your suggestions.:)

·
Super Moderator
6,814 Posts
Hi guys ! This will be my first winter when my lovely bike will be standing outside since I bought it this year in june. I was curious if its better to take it to storage or let it see some snow by saving some bucks. What are the risks of storage outside in the parking lot as opposed to inside ? Thanks for your suggestions.:)
Storing outside in a parking lot is asking for trouble - especially if there is snow. Chances are it will be on its side more than once.

Absolutely rent a spot inside to store it. The damage it would get over the winter would completely offset what you would save by not renting storage.

Add fuel stabilizer, fill the tank with Ethanol-free gas, and run/ride for at least 10 minutes. Change the oil and filter. Check all fluids and do any maintenance (chain adjust and lube, etc) that would need to be done before riding again. You can pull the battery and keep it on a maintainer or just charge occasionally.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
I store my bike outside for the winter but on a backyard patio, not a parking lot. I agree with Jay V. When I lived in Boston the SV was also stored outside, but I smeared marine wheel bearing grease on the chain and wheeled the bike onto a large tarp and fully wrapped. I also enclosed a bucket of charcoal to use as a drying agent. But, the bike was stored under a fire escape.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What are the effects of temperature on the tires, does it take a hit as well cuz I remember my car tires got cracks when I parked it outside in winters while I was away.

·
Super Moderator
6,814 Posts
What are the effects of temperature on the tires, does it take a hit as well cuz I remember my car tires got cracks when I parked it outside in winters while I was away.
Pressures will drop with the temps, and if they get low enough the sidewall will buckle which will stress the rubber in that area quite a bit. Bumping the pressure before storing would prevent that unless you had a leak.

I don't think low temp itself will cause a tire to dry or crack, but age will. The older the tire is the more likely it is to dry-out and crack.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Never had issues with tires and cold temps, but I'm talking about Boston and NJ winters, not the frozen midwest.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'm from quebec Canada and I let my bike outside in winter , temperature drop below -20
Keeping gas really low with stabilizer
But the bike is lifted so wheel are not affected , anything else is fine
Filling the tank at spring then start motor let it warm , change oil and filter and enjoy :)
Bike start like a charm even when it is still really cold outside

Oh and remove the battery
Forgot to charge it this winter and when I plugged back in the bike and there was no problem

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
6,814 Posts
I'm from quebec Canada and I let my bike outside in winter , temperature drop below -20
Keeping gas really low with stabilizer
But the bike is lifted so wheel are not affected , anything else is fine
Filling the tank at spring then start motor let it warm , change oil and filter and enjoy :)
Bike start like a charm even when it is still really cold outside

Oh and remove the battery
Forgot to charge it this winter and when I plugged back in the bike and there was no problem
Sorry dude, but that's backwards.

You want the tank (steel only) full so you don't get condensation, and eventually rust, as the temperatures change. A full tank minimizes the amount of air/moisture that can condense.

The oil change should always be done BEFORE storing. You want fresh oil, without acids and moisture, coating the inside of the engine and preventing corrosion during storage.

Also - never start an engine up during storage to "warm it up" - it just contaminates the clean oil and defeats the purpose of your oil change.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
do yourself a favor, if storing, don't start it unless your gonna ride (not idle) more than a half hour

when it is stored, lift the tank, stuff a kerosene soaked rag in the snorkel, stuff another kerosene soaked rag in the exhaust outlet

this will keep rodents from storing seeds, nuts & acorns in your exhaust and from making a nest out of your air filter in the airbox

·
Registered
180 Posts
Baltimore isn't exactly the snow belt. Why would you stop riding for the whole winter? Even in January and February you'll catch some nice 40°F+ days when the roads are dry and there's no reason not to go for a ride.

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
is there anything in particular you guys park your bike on top of when you have a concrete floor? is a towel, or something similar or more suitable ?

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
is there anything in particular you guys park your bike on top of when you have a concrete floor? is a towel, or something similar or more suitable ?
:lmao: are you serious ?

if your concerned that you might get flat spots, I have to wonder where you can even find tires that would do that, that type of tire deformation went away with rayon plies, is it parked on concrete all the time in summer as well, what is difference ?

you could utilize a rear and front stand and park it lifted off the concrete

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I have left mine outside for most of a couple of Erie Pa winters over the years and the worst part of leaving outside for me has been rust - mostly noticeable on the upper fork tubes. I always park it with fresh oil and a full tank and some stabil in the gas and put the battery on a tender (the couple years I didn't have the battery tender jr., my battery was shot and needed replaced.)

·
Super Moderator
6,814 Posts
If you don't have stands you can just roll it forward or back a few inches every week or so to prevent flat spots.
As RandyO noted in the post just before yours, that's not an issue with today's materials.

I don't think there would be a problem unless the tire pressure dropped significantly and the sidewall buckled.

I make sure my tires are about 40 psi, but don't worry about putting them on anything or lifting off the floor during storage.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree, its a little early to store my Bike in Baltimore but it just came to my mind as it was my first winter, I hope my bike never goes to the storage as I am enjoying it more than anyone else. Still I got very good advices from the members.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
It's still too early to be talking about this kind of stuff. You're bumming me out making me think about winter...
winter is coming quick, I usually mount studded tires during week of thanksgiving, I still gotta buy a tire, drill, and shoot the studs in

·
Registered
38 Posts
Store it for the winter? Just get a coat and keep on riding! There's one guy on here with about 100k on his bike, and he has pics riding his SV through 3+ft of NH snow!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts