Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, since i will be riding little to none, what precautions can i take to make sure nothing bad happens to it over the winter? Mind you, it will be colder than a yeti's testicles. Thanks

·
Registered
121 Posts
Should I take the old filter off from this year? I was planning on leaving it on until I get the bike out again and drain out the 10 quarts I have in it. Then install new oil and a new filter.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
I do this a little "less extreme" than others...

I add stabil to the tank, pull the battery and stuff it in the house ona  trickle charger and put the bike on stands.  

But the bike is only away for maybe a month at a time.  I'll ride it in decent weather over the winter.

I don't add any oil, change the oil, fog the cylinders.. nothing besides stabil. I'll change after the first sign of spring riding.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
In my experience, StaBil brand fuel stabilizer will keep gasoline fresh for months and months. I've run gas in my lawn mower (without any issue whatsoever) that had been treated with Stabil and sat in my shed for over a year. I could tell the mower seemed to run a little rough when the gas reached the two year mark.

Stabil will not, to my knowledge, affect the way the bike runs or the way the fuel burns at all. Just follow the directions on the package.

An oily rag stuffed in the exhaust and air intake will keep critters out, and also cut down on condensation.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
gahdzila said:
you have a car?  :eek:??? :eek:
yes, (as I peer out my window looking at blizzard conditions) a 1982 BMW 320i with 315,050 miles  8)

I keep stabil in my backup generator too, even with gas 2-3 years old, it fires right up, (always third pull when cold even with fresh gas) never skips A beat

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.