Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for winter jackets for riding. I'm looking for good protection, nice temperature adjustability and whatever other features you might think of.

I'm assuming the jacket will probably have to be textile, but I'm open to any option really. I won't be riding below 32 degrees for safety reasons so it doesn't have to be too extreme.

I would really prefer not to spend a ton, probably putting my upper limit at $300.

All input welcome!

·
Registered
905 Posts
I dunno, I think any jacket with a liner will be fine? I have an old Cortech FSX with a removable liner, and it's always been fine for keeping my body warm. Need something for my legs and hands, however...

I'd also like to mention I commute for 35-40 minutes one way, 20 miles of which is at freeway speeds.

·
Registered
534 Posts
How far do you usually ride at cold temperatures? My morning commute is only about 10 minutes at 40-60 mph, so what works for me won't work for someone who rides 45 minutes down the interstate at the same temp.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dunno, I think any jacket with a liner will be fine? I have an old Cortech FSX with a removable liner, and it's always been fine for keeping my body warm. Need something for my legs and hands, however...

I'd also like to mention I commute for 35-40 minutes one way, 20 miles of which is at freeway speeds.
Well, my current leather jacket has a quilted vest liner that can be put in, but the zip out sections on the arms just bleed cold air and in general doesn't hold out the cold well even with layering underneath. I'm good for legs, and pretty good for hands.

How far do you usually ride at cold temperatures? My morning commute is only about 10 minutes at 40-60 mph, so what works for me won't work for someone who rides 45 minutes down the interstate at the same temp.
My new commute is about 50 minutes with about 40 of that being blue route with no traffic speeds. I wonder if it'll be necessary to get a heated vest.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
I think MotorcycleGear has a sale going on for Fieldsheer or Firstgear, I can't remember, for cold weather riding. I prefer a 3/4 jacket for colder riding. I have the AGV Telluride. But, I use a Gerbing heated jacket underneath to keep me warm.

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
Textile is generally warmer than leather. Not that that really answers your question, but if you're wondering what's warmer... Usually textile.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm considering picking one up.

I've currently got a Joe Rocket Atomic 4.0 that I use this time of year, and while it works fine for me, I'm just always looking at new gear. (Well, except for leathers; my Spartan set has me well-covered there.) Tried on some FG stuff recently and it seems to fit me well and appears to be well-made, so I've started to poke around a bit these past few days.

At the length of a commute, I'd be thinking heated vest/jacket, especially highway pace.
Eh. Not terribly necessary, IMO. The outdoor thermometer on my back porch read 32F this morning, and I rode in with no heated gear at all. The only thing I lamented was not having heated grips; I have them on the SV, but am still waiting on some parts to finish the harness to hook them up on the Duc. I have a ~40 minute commute with most of the time on state routes and US highways; not up to freeway speeds, but still around 60MPH the whole time.

I used to commute during the winter on my SVS, though my commute then was shorter and at slower speeds. On the SV, I've been down to 28F. It was pretty brisk, but still doable without heated gear; if you have better wind protection, then it would be perfectly fine. (Wind protection is one of the reasons I've now switched to the Duc for commuting, having picked it up this past summer.)

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
At the length of a commute, I'd be thinking heated vest/jacket, especially highway pace.
Heated something might make it more comfortable. Perhaps grips should be the first step.

I'm considering picking one up.

I've currently got a Joe Rocket Atomic 4.0 that I use this time of year, and while it works fine for me, I'm just always looking at new gear. (Well, except for leathers; my Spartan set has me well-covered there.) Tried on some FG stuff recently and it seems to fit me well and appears to be well-made, so I've started to poke around a bit these past few days.

Eh. Not terribly necessary, IMO. The outdoor thermometer on my back porch read 32F this morning, and I rode in with no heated gear at all. The only thing I lamented was not having heated grips; I have them on the SV, but am still waiting on some parts to finish the harness to hook them up on the Duc. I have a ~40 minute commute with most of the time on state routes and US highways; not up to freeway speeds, but still around 60MPH the whole time.

I used to commute during the winter on my SVS, though my commute then was shorter and at slower speeds. On the SV, I've been down to 28F. It was pretty brisk, but still doable without heated gear; if you have better wind protection, then it would be perfectly fine. (Wind protection is one of the reasons I've now switched to the Duc for commuting, having picked it up this past summer.)
I feel like in those temperatures my hands would be numb by the time I got there.

I'm also considering the motoport option which greatly outstrips my budget, but is an all year solution and as far as I can tell one of the best options for protection. Plus I have a set of street jeans from them to go with it.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Heated something might make it more comfortable. Perhaps grips should be the first step.
Heated grips are quite a help. I'm considering taking the SV tomorrow despite the lower degree of wind protection because it does have heated grips.

I feel like in those temperatures my hands would be numb by the time I got there.
To deal with it this morning, I wore UnderArmour glove liners under my A* Apex Drystars. Hands were cold, but workable. Biggest problem was actually cramping due to wearing the liners, which made for a really tight fit. Again workable, but not something I plan to make a regular occurrence. I'll have heated grips on the Ducati soon enough, and there's always the SV.

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Fieldsheer and Cortech both offer some textile jackets that have decent insulated liners and enough vents that you should be comfortable from around 40F up. I have jackets from both manufacturers. My Fieldsheer is slightly longer than the Cortech and has a slightly better collar in that it fits around my neck better, exposing less skin. The collar can make a big difference in any jacket.
Also, consider some Overgloves. Fieldsheer makes some inexpensive Overgloves that function as windproof mittens over your regular gloves, providing a windbreak and effectively making your regular gloves perform better.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fieldsheer and Cortech both offer some textile jackets that have decent insulated liners and enough vents that you should be comfortable from around 40F up. I have jackets from both manufacturers. My Fieldsheer is slightly longer than the Cortech and has a slightly better collar in that it fits around my neck better, exposing less skin. The collar can make a big difference in any jacket.
Also, consider some Overgloves. Fieldsheer makes some inexpensive Overgloves that function as windproof mittens over your regular gloves, providing a windbreak and effectively making your regular gloves perform better.
I'm using these for gloves: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-bastion-gtx-gloves

So I'm not sure that overgloves would help them much, but I'm still considering getting something like hippo hands since they create a pocket of air.

When you say comfortable from about 40F up, do you mean that you would have zero issues with a 50 minute commute at 40F or do you mean you'd be feeling a little chilly but alright?

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Another Item to fully take into consideration is a "Balacleva".
Wearing one will make the cold ride a much more comfortable one.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Another Item to fully take into consideration is a "Balacleva".
Wearing one will make the cold ride a much more comfortable one.
Check and check, I have a lot of pieces in place for the cold riding equation. What I have now for decent cold riding is Balaclava (might get a longer one), Boots (though could be warmer), Socks (though could be warmer), Overpants (all I could really ask for), Gloves (linked above, really nice though might need to supplement with heated grips/hippo hands/interior liners). My really overpowering weakspot is my torso area, I figure with a more suited jacket and proper layering that aught to mitigate the problem and also keep my extremities a bit warmer.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
You need two things: Warm torso and warm hands. You can accomplish both with out electricity, but electricity makes it cheaper, easier, less bulky, and more comfortable.

Start with a textile jacket sized for layering. If you go with no heated vest, you'll need to layer under it. If you go with just a heated vest, then you'll need a shirt, the vest, and your jacket. I go the latter route. I built a heated vest a few years ago that will burn bare skin, but is perfect over a t-shirt and under my jacket.

http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62450&highlight=heated+vest+build

Next you'll need guards on your grips, like a dirt bike rider's guards. The 'Strom has them that I believe will fit the SV. Or you can install a set of Symtec's heated grips, for a bout $40 delivered. I installed the grips and am looking to put on the guards eventually.

http://www.symtec-inc.com/

·
Iron Butt Moderator
9,271 Posts
You can try wearing a rain coat over your leather jacket for now. The will cut the wind but you still have the protection of leather until you decide.

I went to an Aerostitch for commuting 2 seasons ago now, works great. I have heated gloves, I found that the grips only warmed the palm of my hand. I recommend the Symtec's if you do.

For really cold rides or rides longer than 45 min, I have a heated jacket liner to go with the gloves, less layers and the comfort of warmth really make the difference in a ride.

My heated gear is Gerbrings T5 gloves and the heated jacket liner.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts