Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my step dad and i have been discussing wether or not to buy some cheap winter beater bike.
because of our love for riding and gas prices. what do you think? should we do it? but a bike that we don't care if we go down, don't care if its gets salty, sell it in summer... obviously i wouldn't ride it when its snowing... but seriously? what you think? got any suggestion of a good beater bike? i was thinkin an enduro bike would be good...

·
Registered
482 Posts
I'd suggest an old dual sport like the KLR. With some knobby Kendras (my buddy just put these bad boys on) you could take on anything ... well, ice might be difficult, but I'd be willing to try on an old bike. That, plus they hold up well in lay downs because of their rugged build.

Just an idea.

K

·
0 Posts
thats a good idea.
got me thinking of buying a beater bike too.
but then i gota reg and insure it
or do i ;D
i wish i could throw a plate on one of my RM dirtbikes. that would be nice
id use the 1978 rm400 on the street

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i was kinda thinking about a yam tw 200. but i don't think those are street legal

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Kid Thunder said:
got me thinking of buying a beater bike too.
isn't that what you have now? :p ;D

·
BANNED!!!
4,805 Posts
Well, I'm not sure what area you live in. Here in Indiana it doesn't really snow all that much during the winters. Maybe about 14 days total of light snow, maybe a week or less of strong snow. The rest is either just cold or rainy.

One of these dudes made a good point. If you get other bikes, you have to pay for those bikes, and insuring them and crap.

depending on the cars you drive it might equal out in the end.

I say, ride your current bike as much as possible during the winter. If you dress right riding in the cold shouldn't be a problem.

You're only issues will be snow and cold rain. Take the cars those days.

K

·
0 Posts
wonderjosh said:
isn't that what you have now? :p ;D
haha man
thats what my dad says all the time to me i go nice bike hes like my tuono imm like no my crazy sv.
my sv dont work so i cant use it as a beater.
i want a beater to ride while i fix my other beater. hehehe i love it. no wait no i dont.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
papa- i don't want my beautiful sv to get snow, ice, salt, sand on it!!! so once i know that snow's a flying soon, the sv is gonna be parked...
and for the ins on a beater bike, liability shouldn't be that bad...

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
with motard tires, heated frips & electric heated gear, the SV is a great winter bike

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
spuds said:
papa- i don't want my beautiful sv to get snow, ice, salt, sand on it!!! so once i know that snow's a flying soon, the sv is gonna be parked...
and for the ins on a beater bike, liability shouldn't be that bad...
I rode through last winter, and salt really didn't do much. The only corrosion I had were on the sprocket, the castle nut, and the chain tensioners. My chain did die prematurely, but not by much.

If its a BEATER of a beater bike, insurance is maybe 50$ a year.

·
Eagle one
1,660 Posts
I might look for a small Honda Nighthawk........

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
spuds said:
i was kinda thinking about a yam tw 200. but i don't think those are street legal
Slow as poop too. Those bikes are generally known as beginner trail bikes for adults. Nothing you'd want to be riding on the road with.

Last winter, on the days that it snowed alot, and I absolutely could not take my SV out, I just road my quad to work. Not like there were many cars on the road anyways.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I rode my SV all last winter...it's quite doable if you avoid driving really late at night(or very early in the morning), take it easy, be smooth, and dress accordingly.  I even rode it after it had snowed for about 7 hours and it was still lightly falling.  Naturally it was on a hilly twisty road....but, hey...I made it.

I found I could get by fine with jeans, jacket(w/insulater), gloves, and low-top boots with no problem for about half an hour-45 mins.  Then again...it depends, early in the morning when I just woke up, it always felt colder then late at night 'cause my blood wasn't really running yet.

I'll admit though...I'm a lot less keen on taking my brand new ninja around in the winter...but I know I will. 8)

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Ben_JamminVFCC said:
 I'll admit though...I'm a lot less keen on taking my brand new ninja around in the winter...but I know I will. 8)

And you will be the only one doing that on a 2005 636...people these days are just afraid to ride their bikes or something :-\

I was ok for about 30 minutes with my teknic jacket, a thin sweater underneath (jackets too tight if sweater is too thick) and I wore my rain pants over my jeans to stop the wind. My hands suffered alot, but I did use summer gloves so thats nothing to complain about.

·
Registered
836 Posts
evilbologna said:
And you will be the only one doing that on a 2005 636...people these days are just afraid to ride their bikes or something :-\

I was ok for about 30 minutes with my teknic jacket, a thin sweater underneath (jackets too tight if sweater is too thick) and I wore my rain pants over my jeans to stop the wind. My hands suffered alot, but I did use summer gloves so thats nothing to complain about.
I have the same jacket, and it definitely doesn't allow for much underneath it. It's also not warm at all.

For the winter I used my Joe Rocket textile Jacket(waterproof, windblocking, fleece zip-out liner)....hard drive or something- Whatever it was...it was $100 at newenough! :)

For gloves I used Polartec Fleece Winter gloves...good gloves...but they make your hands feel clumsy! Any winter glove will really. When I used my teknic lightning gloves, my hands would make it about 15 minutes before they felt pretty cold. But I went 45 mins with them and made it alright...so...it's possible.

I think it's very possible to ride most of the winter in upstate NY.....they keep the roads very clean of snow, and really it's just a matter of acclimating your body to those temps and being aware of your traction situation and riding accordingly. I say go for it...I was glad that I did, it felt good to do something that everyone thought was foolish and come out fine. :)

Also...your tires never really warm up in the winter....actually, the way your tires are on a very cold fall day(before it snows) when you first start up your bike...that's kinda how winter traction is all the time.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
gerbings jacket liners are awesome, I dress as lightly as I do in other seasons

I an contemplating a "snowmobile " helmet, mostly for their anti foging qualities, possibly a heated visor, they provide better thermal protection for the head,

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
wow!!!this thread turned out to be a good one... from what it sounds like the sv would be a good winter bike... but i just don't trust myself yet... ::). thats y i had the ider of a BEATER bike. i have old snowmobile gear and a sled helmet...now i just need a bike.

if the yamaha tw200's are slow as poop. i don't care. is a winter beater. it doesn't have to go fast, or ever really fun good for that matter.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
spuds said:
wow!!!this thread turned out to be a good one... from what it sounds like the sv would be a good winter bike... but i just don't trust myself yet... ::). thats y i had the ider of a BEATER bike. i have old snowmobile gear and a sled helmet...now i just need a bike.

if the yamaha tw200's are slow as poop. i don't care. is a winter beater. it doesn't have to go fast, or ever really fun good for that matter.
Well by slow as poop I mean it won't make it on the highway, just 30mph zones. It's not street legal either, although it could be with a Baja Designs kit or something.

The only real problem with riding the SV in the winter is yes, you do run a higher risk of dumping it. I never did, but came close many times. If it really concerns you (understandable) then just get a beater bike, 500-1000$ for a quality beater bike, 100$ for insurance/reg. Maybe another 100-200$ for some beefy snow tires of some sort.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts