Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched, but only found info that was really about flyscreens, or windshields for 1st generation SVs. So I need a little help. I really need to buy a windshield soon before I am blown off my bike crossing the bridge each morning. I am dreading the thought of cold weather without some wind protection. The problem I am having is that everything is hideously ugly, or says it won't fit the 05 naked. National Cycle has some that look decent, but most of them are for the 1st gen SV. I need something that is over 12" high. Ideally, one that is easily adjustable and can be removed with a few quick steps would be great.

Does anyone have a windshield on their naked 05? If so, what is it? And do you have pics? Thanks!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Re: Windshield for 05 Naked... help!

Check out the national cycle F15 sport, F15 touring, F16 sport and F16 touring. I'm looking at getting one of these for colder weather riding.

·
Registered
71 Posts

When you say "blown off the bridge" I'm assuming you mean from the crosswind you get when crossing a bridge. A windshield that comes up higher than your stock flyscreen will more than likely increase the effect of crosswinds, while decreasing the effect of headwinds. The only advice I can give you for crosswinds is to get down low on the bike (but make sure you are still stable, sometimes tucking makes you less stable). Or better yet, just be prepared for the wind and know how to compensate for it, but also be prepared for it to stop abruptly.

·
Registered
63 Posts

I have the Givi A755.  Fit with no mods and cuts down on the wind very nicely!  And it look great too, especially now with the dl650 handguards.  Needed something as we are on the highways quite a bit and day trips average around 300-400 miles...the wind can be physically draining after a while.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

axeman said:
Check out the national cycle F15 sport, F15 touring, F16 sport and F16 touring. I'm looking at getting one of these for colder weather riding.
I like the look of these, but the National Cycle website says they fit the 99-02 models only! If someone has put one on an 05 and it wasn't a major hassle, I'd love to know.

·
Registered
398 Posts

Problem with the 2nd gen naked bikes is the guages stick so far forward. a very limited number of shield fit correctly. even teh national cycle f15 and f16 dont fit perfectly. They well have about a 1/2" gap between the light as they are shifted forward. They have some that fit perfect but they are sortly ugly (non sportly looking anyways)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

A 1/2 inch gap doesn't seem like a big problem to me. From many of the pictures I have seen of windshields installed on bikes it appears many of them have a gap of at least 1/2 inch between the shield and the headlight.

·
Registered
89 Posts

karin said:
A 1/2 inch gap doesn't seem like a big problem to me. From many of the pictures I have seen of windshields installed on bikes it appears many of them have a gap of at least 1/2 inch between the shield and the headlight.

I actually just rec'd and installed the Nat'l Cycle F-16 Sport shield last night. It doesn't fit my 2nd gen naked like I'd imagine it would fit a 2002 or older but it works. It has slots so you can adjust it vertically about 2 inches and you can tilt it forward and backward. But b/c of the guages being so far forward I have to position the shield vertically as high as it will go, which isn't a bad thing for me b/c it moved the airflow a little higher off my chest. The only problem is that if you want to tilt it toward you so that it has a really low profile like a sportbike's you won't be able to b/c the guage pod gets in the way. But I have mine tilted a little forward. At only $65 from Chaparral I'm pretty happy w/ it. Their catolog (the one they mail to you, not the one online) offers some type of additional hardware for 2003's and newer for about $16 but I don't think I need it. I'd like to try a Givi and see if it's any better but at around $280 I'll pass.

Overall I'd say that the shield works pretty well. There's noticably less wind pressure on my chest and it's definitely more comfy at highway speeds. I tried the Touring version of the F-16 and sent it back b/c there was no way to adjust it right to get rid of the crazy amt of turbulence it caused. For airflow height reference I'm about 5'10" by the way. Hope this helps!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

moto_ufo said:
I actually just rec'd and installed the Nat'l Cycle F-16 Sport shield last night. It doesn't fit my 2nd gen naked like I'd imagine it would fit a 2002 or older but it works. It has slots so you can adjust it vertically about 2 inches and you can tilt it forward and backward. But b/c of the guages being so far forward I have to position the shield vertically as high as it will go, which isn't a bad thing for me b/c it moved the airflow a little higher off my chest. The only problem is that if you want to tilt it toward you so that it has a really low profile like a sportbike's you won't be able to b/c the guage pod gets in the way. But I have mine tilted a little forward. At only $65 from Chaparral I'm pretty happy w/ it. Their catolog (the one they mail to you, not the one online) offers some type of additional hardware for 2003's and newer for about $16 but I don't think I need it. I'd like to try a Givi and see if it's any better but at around $280 I'll pass.

Overall I'd say that the shield works pretty well. There's noticably less wind pressure on my chest and it's definitely more comfy at highway speeds. I tried the Touring version of the F-16 and sent it back b/c there was no way to adjust it right to get rid of the crazy amt of turbulence it caused. For airflow height reference I'm about 5'10" by the way. Hope this helps!!
Thanks, moto_ufo! That's the type of info I was hoping to hear from someone. :)

·
Registered
398 Posts

moto_ufo said:

Just to make sure, you have the tinted f-16 one mounted? Do you have a pic of it? Im really curious to see it.

·
Registered
89 Posts

ls14ever said:
Just to make sure, you have the tinted f-16 one mounted? Do you have a pic of it? Im really curious to see it.
I don't have a digital camera....but my girlfriend does...I'll try to get some pics up this weekend. Yes, it's the dark tinted, smaller of the two in the F-16 line. The intrument pod would definitely be in the way if I wanted it tilted farther back. On my bike there's no gap right above the headlight and the shield is raised up as high as it will go. It doesn't look as cool as I would imagine a givi to look but I'm not ready to spend that kinda $$ yet. It works and I'm happy w/ it.

·
Registered
6 Posts

I have the F-16 "touring" shield on an 03 model. Works great. Had to drill two small holes in the brackets that come with it in order to get it to tilt back at a sharper angle. No trouble clearing the instruments.

·
Registered
5,778 Posts

I recommend the GIVI A755, double bubble shape, mine came color matched, and installed in 15mins no alterations ('03 SV650-Silver) It works great and has easy height adjustments great product. paid $175 shipped. azmotorsports.com

·
Registered
703 Posts

I had the F-16 Sport Shield on my 04 naked but took it off a few months back, mostly for appearance purposes (I thought that the bike looked better without it once I installed my SM-2 bars). It did stick out about a half inch from the headlight, and I could not adjust the angle of it due to the instrument gages.

When I had it on it definitely cut back on the amount of wind that I received on my chest, but at the cost of dumping it on my head when in a standard riding position. I could get down into a nice tuck and have the majority of the wind scoot across the top of my head which was nice on the highway. FWIW I'm 5'10" so if you're shorter you might not catch as much wind on your head.

If you do get a shield like this you'll probably need to put a small piece of weather stripping across the back of the gage cluster to keep the shield from vibrating off of it.

I should add that the only reason why my mirrors are up like that is so I can fit the bike down a very narrow alley to get it in the back of my apartment building. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Morpheous said:
I recommend the GIVI A755, double bubble shape, mine came color matched, and installed in 15mins no alterations ('03 SV650-Silver) It works great and has easy height adjustments great product. paid $175 shipped. azmotorsports.com
I spoke to the people at Givi and unfortunately they do not have any windshields that are color matched for the Yellow Suzukis. I believe they do carry blue though. I like the look of the Givi shields, but they are a little out of my price range. If I was to purchase one of them, I would have to bypass purchasing handguards for now, and I think I need those as much or more than a windshield.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

For anyone interested.... I took a chance and purchased a National Cycle F18 windshield. National Cycle says it does not fit the 05 SV, but that turned out to not be true. It seems to fit my bike just fine, and the only modification I had to make was to remove the flyscreen brackets. The windshield could be mounted with them on, but it cannot be adjusted as easily, so I just removed them altogether.

Here are some pics for the curious:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts