Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what I found on www.canyonchasers.net. I was wondering if anyone has ridden this and if it would be worth the few hours for me to get there.

Lolo Pass - Grangeville to Missoula (extended version)

Summary: Although Idaho doesn't have many good roads, this one, almost all by itself makes up for all of them. Idaho SR12 is home of the famous "Winding Road Next 77 Miles", but we've extended it to almost 170 miles. That's almost four hours of solid riding on one of the most brilliant roads I've ever had the pleasure to enjoy. In fact, the first time we rode it, I had to stop halfway to catch my breath. Every corner is a stunningly fast, predictable sweeper. Every apex is consistent and in 2002, at least, the asphalt was brand new. We ran it west to east, but either direction would be fine. Five full, well-deserved stars. If we gave awards, the engineer of this road would get the crown jewel.

http://www.canyonchasers.net/maps/images/idaho/images/lolopass-sr12.pdf is the link to the map.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Just thought I would add a pic of the sign ;D

·
Registered
571 Posts
77 miles!?!? :eek:

i know of a few decent roads that are between 20 and 35 miles. but 77. wow!

if i ever get out that way, that will be one of my stops.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I rode SR12 in July on my WA to PA cross-country trip. Not much traffic during the week (Wednesday the 6th). However, coming back on a Sunday resulted in several delays until I could pass all the motorhomes.

I enjoyed the road and the scenery so much that I changed my return home route to ride SR12 again.

I also stopped to take of photo of the 77 miles sign too ;)

I'll be riding it again next year for my Glacier Park trip in MT.

Cageless...

·
Registered
551 Posts
77 might seem a Lil long after 30 miles or so....77 miles of winding road seem like it would be fun, but, i personally, would prolly get sick of it after a while

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I could see it being a bit much. Especially after they extended the route another 100 miles. But still its something really friggin awsome to do once I would think.

·
Registered
284 Posts
spuds said:
77 might seem a Lil long after 30 miles or so....77 miles of winding road seem like it would be fun, but, i personally, would prolly get sick of it after a while
That's blasphemy! Might as well you say you get tired of sex with a different supermodels that don't talk every night!

-josh

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I wouldn't get tired but after a few hours I might need to take a break. A man can only hump for so long without rest 8)

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
10 miles thats it???? I would be good for 30 for sure! I don't think it would be that bad as long as they aren't all really aggressive.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thats on my to do list. i think its in eastern ID, right? if you're in utah you should ride up and do it with me, and bdumssa

p.s. born in SLC raised in Kaysville

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hrm I think we should do that some time. I will keep it in mind next time I get a longer weekend, this one is spoken for ;D.

·
Registered
21 Posts
SpeedisaVirus said:
10 miles thats it???? I would be good for 30 for sure! I don't think it would be that bad as long as they aren't all really aggressive.
SR12 has sweeps and tighter twisties...a bit of everything.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Heh, it's starting to sound like us west coast types need to have a little rally of our own out here ;D

·
Registered
39 Posts
I rode 12 and honestly wasn't that impressed. It was mostly sweepers that were only fun at significantly supra legal speeds. I may be a little biased since the two days earlier I had taken 9 from san jose, across the golden gate then 1 along the coast in california. If you catch a break between RVs the northern part of 1 is absolute heaven.
That said, anything would be nice, as the bike is parked a few hundred miles away at the moment.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts