Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed a considerable amount of wind noise past 60 mph, even with ear plugs. I am wondering if anyone has my combination of a naked sv and my helmet, and has done anything to alleviate wind noise. I should also mention I have a small sports cowl installed. I have read about the windjammer II and the hjc chin curtain; curious if either of these work well for wind noise. Open to other suggestions. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
I've got the same helmet. To me it's quiet, But I'm used to MX helmets.

Next step is either a big ol' windscreen, or look up helmet revews and get a new lid. Other than that, riding a motorcycle is noisy.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Dang off roader, not only do we have the same bike but the same helmet too? I'm scared to ask what you look like... ;)

I've only owned this helmet, so don't have much to compare it to, but I think it's pretty loud. If you look at the webbikeworld review, they say as much, IIRC, the noise and lack of ventilation were the major faults of the helmet. A chin curtain is supposed to help a lot, but last time I checked, the curtain for the CL-16 was out of stock everywhere I looked. I actually thought I'd found one at one point, but turned out my finger clicked faster than my eyes and it was made for another model and wouldn't fit, according to the retailer.

If you can find a chin curtain that'll fit, that will probably be the most effective for helping wind noise. You might also try different ear plugs. I've found that for whatever reason, the wind noise is more noticeable with certain types of plugs, even when they have the same NRR.

But in any case, we have an inexpensive helmet, and one of the tradeoffs is that it's noisier. I'm planning on getting a Shoei or something comparable next, but just deal with the noise for now. FWIW, though, if you want to stay in the same price range, I believe Scorpion helmets tend to be quieter.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Wait.... I have the IS-16... but the only difference is mine has the sun shade, which should make the helmet noisier I would think. More holes for wind/noise to get through.

Mine came with a chin skirt. I only use it when it's cold out. Never really noticed a noise difference, but then again, my left ear is already effed up, and I never paid attention to it anyway.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Try cupping your hand near the neck roll and seeing if that helps. If so, look into the aftermarket neck rolls.

But in any case, we have an inexpensive helmet, and one of the tradeoffs is that it's noisier. I'm planning on getting a Shoei or something comparable next, but just deal with the noise for now. FWIW, though, if you want to stay in the same price range, I believe Scorpion helmets tend to be quieter.
Some of the fancy lids are noisy too, off hand I remember pretty much every Suomy I've tried to be loud.. and the Shoei X11 (which can be argued since it's a 'race' helmet, but with my head it was crazy loud compared to the AGV GP Tech and Arai RX7).

Scorpion makes wicked helmets for their price range.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I had the CL-SP and it's so much louder than the Shoei.

It's possible your helmet pads are just worn out so it doesn't block the wind out as well. Chin curtains work wonders though.

·
MOTORADOR
10,956 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input. It sounds like the consensus is "deal with it, it's a loud helmet" which is what I kind of expected. I read the webbikeworld review right after I bought it this spring about the noise and all, which is also where I read about the windjammer II. I was hoping someone had tried that with my exact set up, since the reviews on windjammer seem to vary depending on helmet, fairings, etc.

·
Registered
7,584 Posts
Are you sure your earplugs stay seated properly when you put your helmet on? The foam roll-up cones popped out of my ears almost every time. I ended up getting custom molded earplugs.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
How does the air flow around the shield you are running? It is always best to either be entirely outside of the bubble or totally within it. If you are on the edge it can be really noisy. Quietest is down on the tank (on an S) and within the quiet air zone. Ahhhh...and you get to listen to the intake music without all that wind roar. But maybe a larger or smaller shield would help you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Again, thanks for the input everyone. As it were, the issue may have "worked itself out" due to my hastiness. Was running late last night leaving work and set my helmet, visor up, to hang from my handlebars while I put in my earplugs...and it dropped onto the concrete. Because the visor was up, the piece the base plate sits in broke, so I got to drive home an hour on the interstate with no visor. So, now I'm probably in the market for a new (cheap) helmet. I am looking at the scorpion exo-700s on motorcyclegear.com, since they are relatively cheap and seem to rate well for noise. Probably do a little more research, but that’s probably what I’ll end up with.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Again, thanks for the input everyone. As it were, the issue may have "worked itself out" due to my hastiness. Was running late last night leaving work and set my helmet, visor up, to hang from my handlebars while I put in my earplugs...and it dropped onto the concrete. Because the visor was up, the piece the base plate sits in broke, so I got to drive home an hour on the interstate with no visor. So, now I'm probably in the market for a new (cheap) helmet. I am looking at the scorpion exo-700s on motorcyclegear.com, since they are relatively cheap and seem to rate well for noise. Probably do a little more research, but that’s probably what I’ll end up with.
that piece is replaceable (ebay, 10$ for set).

decisions, decisions ... :)

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I removed the small windscreen on my 2000n because I noticed that it directed a blast of air straight in my face unless I tucked down behind it in a position that a naked model on the street don't do too well. The "clean air" was better than a small windscreen for me.
In order to get quiet re: helmets, you need to spend more money generally, as this is one of the little details you get with the more expensive ones. The chin curtain does help.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Buy these ear plugs.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Moldex-6800-Pura-Fit-Disposable-Plugs/dp/B0015TBGR6[/ame]

33db reduction kills wind noise - even in a cheap ass HJC modular helmet at 90mph. Make sure you have them in deep enough as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, after talking my shop guy, I ordered that base plate from him. He said he would have loved to sell me a new helmet, but the open visor took all the impact and the helmet should be fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I removed the small windscreen on my 2000n because I noticed that it directed a blast of air straight in my face unless I tucked down behind it in a position that a naked model on the street don't do too well. The "clean air" was better than a small windscreen for me.
In order to get quiet re: helmets, you need to spend more money generally, as this is one of the little details you get with the more expensive ones. The chin curtain does help.
I've been thinking of doing the same thing when I get a free weekend. My windshield is so small, I can't really get behind it anyway, so it seems like it might be doing more bad than good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts