Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if you can tell from the pic but the tire is worn pretty much down to the wear bars in the center while the sides have plenty of meat left. I'm going to NJMP in two weeks and wondering if this will pass tech (Tony's track days). It'd be a waste to replace it when there's still plenty of leaned over rubber left...

·
Registered
905 Posts
You'd probably be best off contacting the track day org and asking.

But, just as an anecdote, my local track day org requires 40% of the tread remaining across the whole tire.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You'd probably be best off contacting the track day org and asking.

But, just as an anecdote, my local track day org requires 40% of the tread remaining across the whole tire.
Didn't want to do that since they sell/install tires on site, so it's probably in their vested interest to tell me to change it if it's questionable. Maybe that's not the case, but I'm a cynical bastid...

I was hoping for feedback from people that have experience with this particular organization/track tech inspection. Just curious how nitpicky the actual tech inspection there is. I don't want to replace it unless I have to because realistically this tire still has plenty of street life left in it after the track day.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Have you been there before? If so, you should have a feel for how thorough their inspections are.
Do they have an FAQ of tech requirements posted somewhere? Most (all?) track day organizations I've checked out had them on their website.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Before answering your question I would have to ask what your group level do you ride at? For instance if you are just starting out at trackdays you will be ok. The SV doesn't have so much power that you will blowing out a rear tire any time soon with that tire. Also NJMP right handers mostly. Also how old are those tires? Though the thread is an indicator of tire life what you can't tell unless you touch them is the age and how much life is left in the tire rubber. If I were you, i'd bring some cash for possible tire purchase. Tires are cheap compared to what it will cost to fix a bike or yourself.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you been there before? If so, you should have a feel for how thorough their inspections are.
Do they have an FAQ of tech requirements posted somewhere? Most (all?) track day organizations I've checked out had them on their website.
I last rode with them 2 or 3 years back, don't really remember them being too strict but then again I had good tires that time...

This is what their website says, so I'm pretty much borderline: "Tires must be in EXCELLENT condition with plenty of tread remaining. If you are at or below the "wear indicators", please change them BEFORE track day."

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Before answering your question I would have to ask what your group level do you ride at? For instance if you are just starting out at trackdays you will be ok. The SV doesn't have so much power that you will blowing out a rear tire any time soon with that tire. Also NJMP right handers mostly. Also how old are those tires? Though the thread is an indicator of tire life what you can't tell unless you touch them is the age and how much life is left in the tire rubber. If I were you, i'd bring some cash for possible tire purchase. Tires are cheap compared to what it will cost to fix a bike or yourself.
I'm riding intermediate, and the tires are about 2 years old. They don't feel dried out to me, the get plenty sticky when riding in the twisties.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Then they should be fine. If you are running quicker than 1:45 you should swap them out. What you have now are fine on the street but on the track you'd be asking alot from them.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The track doesn't do tech. The individual track vendor does it. I'm actually a control rider for TTD and am one of the staff responsible for teching bikes.

To be honest, it's borderline. I'd have to see the tire in person, since some tread looks like it's passable.

If you're there for one day, I'd probably pass it, but for two, I'd probably suggest a failure.

It's your life in the balance of questionable tires. Why have that in the back of your head while riding? Change it now or give MTAG a shout. They're taking orders for tires to be done at the track. http://www.gomtag.com/

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The track doesn't do tech. The individual track vendor does it. I'm actually a control rider for TTD and am one of the staff responsible for teching bikes.

To be honest, it's borderline. I'd have to see the tire in person, since some tread looks like it's passable.

If you're there for one day, I'd probably pass it, but for two, I'd probably suggest a failure.

It's your life in the balance of questionable tires. Why have that in the back of your head while riding? Change it now or give MTAG a shout. They're taking orders for tires to be done at the track. http://www.gomtag.com/
Hmm... that's more or less what I expected. Thanks for the first hand insight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts