Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get my top triple powdercoated, but I'd have to take it off and send it away. I don't have any sort of lift where I live, so the bike would have to sit for a week or so with all the front weight on the lower triple. Visualizing it in my head, it seems like there would be a fair bit of stress on the forks. Could the stress warp my forks after a week of sitting?? Should I loosen the lowers?

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
I want to get my top triple powdercoated, but I'd have to take it off and send it away. I don't have any sort of lift where I live, so the bike would have to sit for a week or so with all the front weight on the lower triple. Visualizing it in my head, it seems like there would be a fair bit of stress on the forks. Could the stress warp my forks after a week of sitting?? Should I loosen the lowers?
Are you going to have the bike on a rearstand?? Or just sitting on the sidestand? If it's on a rearstand get an inexpensive scissor jack, put it under the engine and take some of the weight off the front end. DON'T loosen the lower triple bolts, the front end will slam down.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Get the lower triple done too! Tall jackstands under motosliders :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
it will be fine. the triples are made to handle forces from running over potholes and such, which can be VERY harsh even after the forks absorb alot of it. your lower tripple can handle just sitting there attatched by itself for a while.

·
Registered
130 Posts
You could try shimming up under the belly of the bike with some sturdy boxes or something soft/compressible objects. That might take enough weight off the forks to make everything peachy.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it will be fine. the triples are made to handle forces from running over potholes and such, which can be VERY harsh even after the forks absorb alot of it. your lower tripple can handle just sitting there attatched by itself for a while.
I'm not too worried about the triple, more concerned with the forks warping - they are the weak point. When I take the top triple off with the bike on the ground, the forks deflect out. I need to loosen the bottom triple to get them aligned again when reassembling. Worried they might stay bent if I leave them sitting without the top triple for a long time...

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm not too worried about the triple, more concerned with the forks warping - they are the weak point. When I take the top triple off with the bike on the ground, the forks deflect out. I need to loosen the bottom triple to get them aligned again when reassembling. Worried they might stay bent if I leave them sitting without the top triple for a long time...
I might be more worried about the steering head bearings being distorted by having weight put on them without being properly seated with the top triple off.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Didn't even think of that. I guess I need to find a way to jack the bike up or I will damage something

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Get the lower triple done too! Tall jackstands under motosliders :)
+1 cant tell you how many times i've used that trick

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yeah, I wasn't thinking about getting the triple back on. I bet it would be near impossible.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Despite the lack of equipment I did manage to get the front wheel off the ground. While the bike is precariously perched on a floor jack and one jack stand, it should be alright while I wait to get parts back from PC. I took off the top triple and loosened the lower triple to take the stress off the fork tubes. My entire front end didn't collapse to the ground, I left the lower just tight enough to keep the forks from sliding down.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts