Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Will not pop into nutral.

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  taco_mania_1 
G
#1 ·
Recently I cannot find nutral on my 02 SV650s while at a stop light. When I am in first gear and I want to shift into nutral I cannot get the shifter to pop up. I sometime have to reach down and pull it up to get it into nutral while my right hand is on the clutch. Any suggestions..........

TONY

#2 ·
The usual

Check the clutch adjustment under the front sprocket cover. Loosen the cable at the grips, adjust the plunger lever. Then adjust the cable at the grips for about 1/4" free play, maybe a bit more.

Change the oil. If the oil is fresh, check the level, it could be too high.

#4 ·
-- Oil level at L to halfway between L and F when bike is level and oil is cold (before starting). Overfilled oil has a negative effect on shifting smoothness, especially when cold.

-- Right type of oil (as per manual); I have found heavy duty diesel (dino) oils such as Rotella 15-40 and synthetics provide slightly better cold shifting than standard non synthetic motorcycle oils. Car dino oils are the worst, YMMV.

-- Clutch adjustment (free play) is per manual specs so that clutch can fully engage. Make sure your pinky, signal housing, grip, etc. are not interfering with clutch lever travel.

-- Make sure your shift linkage is clean (thanks RandyO).

-- Start in neutral and allow 15-30 seconds of warm-up before trying to shift into first. Then take it easy on the RPMs and shifting for 1-2 minutes to allow the engine and oil to fully reach operating temperature.

-- On the first shift after starting, walk the bike forward so you are moving forward as you shift. This will smooth the shift into first.

-- Hard shifting is normal when the oil is cold.

#5 ·
No, no, no

To correctly check the oil level follow the owner's manual. Start the engine, let it run a minute or two, stop the engine, wait two minutes. Now with the bike upright the level should be close to, but not above, the "F".

Whenever I see a procedure that is this anal and odd I figure there's more to this than meets the eye.

#6 ·
andyauger-- As usual, you are correct. The cold method I use is a simplified one that replicates the proper way to check engine oil. It works for me, but may not for everyone...

asdfjkl;-- if you are still reading at this point and are unsure, andyauger is the one to listen to. He's one of a few veteran riders on this board who are almost always right...

G
#8 ·
Does the SV have a positive neutral selector? If so bascially it's a gyroscopic effect but the bits of it could be stuck - get the motor nice and hot and change the oil if it's anywhere near service time, see if clearing any sludgy goop out helps.

#10 ·
Re: No positive selector

andyauger said:
On the other hand I've never had trouble finding neutral from first or second gear. Rotella T 15W-40 filled to the correct level, and a correctly adjusted clutch do the trick.

I used to have a awful time occasionally at stop lights shifting back & forth from 1-2 and couldn't seem to stop in the middle, a customized shifter (added 2' length) and haven't really had that problem since

#11 ·
avc8130 said:
On a slightly different approach...I teach everyone to find neutral from second. Basically if you just rest your foot on the shifter in second you get neutral. Much easier than pulling up from first. I dont know...maybe my ankle just isnt as precise.
ac
I find it easier to control my pull up, which is also from 2nd, cause I have GP shifting

#13 ·
ive noticed that my 02 sv shifts exactly like my 86 lt 250r suzuki quadracer! i.e. you dont need the clutch to shift just put a lil pressure on the shifter and back off of the throttle a little bit and i also have trouble finding neutral on the 250 because it idles too fast! i usually rock the 250r to get it into neutral but youd look a little silly doing that on an sv 650 lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.