1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I've read this website's recommendations on jettting:

http://www.geocities.com/catpoopman/sv650_rejet.html

and I have an interesting situation where my Full Hindle Exhaust will be arriving the day b4 a two-day trackday wknd. If at all possible, w/out damaging the engine, I'd like to install the full exhaust to realize any weight or power gains.

The previous owner actually followed the instructions and for the stock exhaust changed:

-Pilots from 15.0 to 17.5
-Mains up to the next size (140 he thinks, stock is 137.5)
-2.5 turns out on the a/f mixture
-2 Shims under the clip

(Runs awesome actually.)

So my question to you guys is...Although not optimal jetting for this wknd, would I being doing any damage to the engine by running slightly lean (Not sure how lean I'd be running with stock air box though.) and would I ruin drivability with the bike possibly stumbling all over the rev range?

Thanks so much...I just don't want to start messing with the jetting this close to a trackday but thought I might get away with running the exhaust.

Thanks,

Bryce

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
You'll probably get away with running the exhaust if it's jetted correctly now. A new system doesn't lean it out THAT much.

However - I smell a recipe for disaster. Think about it - rush to put your shiny new system on, go out and shake it down on-track? Seems a perfect time to throw it into the giggle-weeds.

But - do whatcha like. Running it like that for one day isn't going to damage anything - and will likely tell you if it's 'right' or where it's lean.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice...I received a response from the guy who wrote the website on Jetting above:

"Actually the jetting already done should be pretty close to what the
Hindle should have. Maybe one size larger on the main jets to 142.5, but
other than that you should be good to go. in fact if you left it the way it
is you would be fine. I'm sure of it.

If you desnorkel you will then have to bump up the mains way up, BUT I
caution you that you could encounter running problems. You don't know
how many times I have come close to removing that page. It seems some
people have no problems and others inexplicably can't get the bike to run
right afyer desnorkeling.

You know, the weight savings of the exhaust is the biggest thing. The
SV really makes pretty good power in stock form. Funny how some bikes get
great benefit from a new exhaust and jetting and others don't get big
bumps. The SV really doesn't bet a great big bump with a new exhaust, but it
looks and sounds cool as hell!

Have fun at your track days!"

So I think I'm going to be good with jetting for this wknd. As for the exhaust I removed the stock exhaust last night so I have plenty of time to get the Hindle sorted Saturday morning. Shouldn't be too hard. And I'm bringing the stock exhaust just in case. :)

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
I'd run it with out any problems that way. You might need to up the mains one (later on), but your pilot circuit and mid range should be spot on.

Have fun.... and run the snot out of her.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I mounted a full Muzzy system and de-snorkeled my air filter..... I re-jetted for that set up and have been really happy with the results. It is a little touchy just off of idle - not bad, jut different than stock - just feels like a little hot rod now. It is definitely worth the effort.

I was really surprised the first time I wound it up I pulled a small power wheelie going into second. WOOOO HOOOO! THAT was new. The bike really wants to accelerate now and it is definitely more fun to ride.

2000 sv standard - Full Muzzy, de-snorkled, re-jetted, ZX 10 rear shock, Gold Valves with .95 springs, R6 throttle, SS brake lines,520 chain conversion, Diablo tires.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the exhaust didn't get here b4 my trackday. I took off my exhaust Thursday night thinking I was saving myself time, but in actuality I ended up reattaching it Sat. morning b4 tech in, what a pain, oh well.

Pics of the can...I got the headers in the box:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b50/bster13/IMG_0002.jpg

This might be loud....ya think? :p

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b50/bster13/IMG_0003.jpg

The SV is going to really bark now! Still wish it had some more bite hehe.

Thanks for the exhaust Jarel, looks great and feels so darn light!

Bryce

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Status and Problems:

-Installed Full Hindle Titanium exhaust
-I Desnorkeled airbox

-Changed jetting from:
140 mains, 17.5 pilots, 2.5 turns out on a/f screw

to:

152.5 mains, 17.5 pilots, 2.5 turns out on a/f screw

Result:

-Engine revs very freely, pulls great all the way through the rev range, even part throttle no ill effects or backfiring.

-When I blip it quickly and chop the throttle messing with it in my garage or just plain roll off the throttle like normal when riding, I get gurgling and then a good backfire or two.

Proposed Solution:

-Turn A/F screws out to 2.75 turns out.

Result:

-Same

Suggestions?  I'd like to try to minimize the backfiring.  I understand full exhaust systems are very free flowing and don't muffle the lean backfiring like a stock systems would with baffles, but I don't want this upsetting my concetration at the track.  I don't really notice any of the other bikes at the track backfiring like this so I assume this is something I can tune out.

Please help!!!!

Thanks,

Bryce

1 - 8 of 8 Posts