Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Tacoma (2WD) gets 25 on the highway. I gotta 40 min commute each way to work. I live here Washington State...needless to say, I bought the Tourmaster Centurion Suit and electric gloves, and away I go. With gas prices the way they are, I'm definitely commuting on the bike more.:rimshot:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Although we have quite a few vehicles, the Taurus and the truck get the most use. I plan on riding either the motorcycle or bicycle more as my schedule changes drastically in June. I only live about 12 miles from work, and with the nice weather I should be on either bike at least 4 days a week.

·
Registered
118 Posts
In my country we pay 8$ a gallon and still motorcycles don't get respect on the contrary most people consider them as a death wish. We do think twice before taking an unnecessary medium/long rides and I always prefer the bike over the car.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Gas is cheap and I can prove it:

At the grocery store I see dudes idling their big trucks with the a/c on waiting for their wives to come out of the front door. Heaven forbid they must push those corn flakes across the lot.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Gas is cheap and I can prove it:

At the grocery store I see dudes idling their big trucks with the a/c on waiting for their wives to come out of the front door. Heaven forbid they must push those corn flakes across the lot.
Maybe they're in a hurry to get to the gym where they can walk on a treadmill. :confused:

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
You know what strikes me about these prices. Last time gas was this expensive, people actually cut back, hell broke loose, a LOT LESS traffic. And people would only get on their cars if it was absolutely necessary.

Not the case this time. It makes me wonder. Are we at a point where people just don't give a dam anymore? Meaning, they are already maxed out so what else is new? How much can you really save by cutting on your driving? Or maybe things are not as bad as when gas was this expensive and that's why people aren't cutting back.

As someone mentioned, I still see people idling vehicles and driving even though they can simply use mass transit and save a ton. I have no choice, I live too far so I have to drive. But if I had a good train/public commuting option, I would just get on the train. :)

·
Registered
476 Posts
From Riders Warehouse:

I like that.

Although, with gas prices what they are, I will probably not drive less, just ride more.
I've got a short commute (less than 4 miles). Wife's commute is about the same. When we last moved, we located so that I no longer had a 30+ minute drive. Those days sucked.

I've got a Ford Ranger as my daily driver. It gets to carry lumber/sheetrock once in a while, but mostly I wanted to ditch the trailer and use the pickup to carry the bike(s) around.
My only regret is that the truck does not carry more than 2 people comfortably, and I do not want a full sized truck, too big and way too expensive.

·
Registered
804 Posts
bottom line to this fuel thing is there is no way around it, the food we eat, the clothes we wear, all the electronic gismos we buy,the "green" car you all talk about buying is brought to you by one thing..... a BIG A$$ truck. that will always require fuel. there will never be a electric powered semi, there will never be anything that can deliever the items we need/want for everyday life in the quanties that we demand it in with out having fuel. only other thing that can deliever the power that those trucks need is a reactor, and you/we all know that wont happen. so my thought process is to stop trying to find ways around not using it cause we as a country cant. instead we should invest in keeping it "in house"! which we have the resources for sure on the north american continent. the president hollers about "green" alternative energies blah blah blah. Ask him what his presidential limo gets mpg. or how much fuel is used to get the chopper fired up to take a 30 minute ride somewhere. this is a VERY irratible subject for me if you cant tell! :)

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
bottom line to this fuel thing is there is no way around it, the food we eat, the clothes we wear, all the electronic gismos we buy,the "green" car you all talk about buying is brought to you by one thing..... a BIG A$$ truck. that will always require fuel. there will never be a electric powered semi, there will never be anything that can deliever the items we need/want for everyday life in the quanties that we demand it in with out having fuel. only other thing that can deliever the power that those trucks need is a reactor, and you/we all know that wont happen. so my thought process is to stop trying to find ways around not using it cause we as a country cant. instead we should invest in keeping it "in house"! which we have the resources for sure on the north american continent. the president hollers about "green" alternative energies blah blah blah. Ask him what his presidential limo gets mpg. or how much fuel is used to get the chopper fired up to take a 30 minute ride somewhere. this is a VERY irratible subject for me if you cant tell! :)
I got pretty upset a couple of nights ago when he was asked what he was planning on doing to control these prices. He started talking about how we really just need to stop depending on oil and blah blah blah. First of all, no one wants to hear that crap. He was stating the obvious. But unfortunately, the obvious is close to impossible.

Yeah, tell that to the rich people who make their money our of oil. Or how about telling that to the middle east. Do you really think that BP or Exxon will actually help on this? Companies are coming up with alternatives to make it look like we are trying. But to me, it's just a smoke screen.

They are not going to kill their company and their BILLIONS in the name of "green energy." Unless they can keep control of whatever fuel we use in the future.

·
Registered
850 Posts
They are not going to kill their company and their BILLIONS in the name of "green energy." Unless they can keep control of whatever fuel we use in the future.
This is why government subsidies for this type of technology is important. It helps start-up and research companies develop the technology independent from the big energy conglomerates.

Once a viable alternative is found they start imposing a large tax on gas, and use it to subsidize the new technology. As prices rise on the old technology, more people start using the new over the old, the subsidy goes down as it's not needed as much, and eventually the old technology is taken out of production, or is limited to special uses. See leaded gas in Europe. I think it's important to note the US has a tendency to do the opposite. They like to tax new technology here, thus further delaying it's adoption.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
This is why government subsidies for this type of technology is important. It helps start-up and research companies develop the technology independent from the big energy conglomerates.

Once a viable alternative is found they start imposing a large tax on gas, and use it to subsidize the new technology. As prices rise on the old technology, more people start using the new over the old, the subsidy goes down as it's not needed as much, and eventually the old technology is taken out of production, or is limited to special uses. See leaded gas in Europe. I think it's important to note the US has a tendency to do the opposite. They like to tax new technology here, thus further delaying it's adoption.
Yes, government subsidies are such a great thing. Look at the housing market for a great example of the government getting involved in the private sector.

·
Registered
804 Posts

Once a viable alternative is found they start imposing a large tax on gas, and use it to subsidize the new technology.
then the semi's that have to have the "old" tech stuff have to pay more tax on diesel fuel, which in turn makes the cost of daily living go up, because it cost the hauling companies more so they charge more for the delivery of items. which in turns cost us more money, so the new tech saves money at the pump and then cost more EVERYWHERE else......

·
45% Member
7,585 Posts
My commute is pretty short, maybe 12 miles. So I ride to work when the weather is nice, and take my car (31-32mpg) when it's not.

My VFR currently gets between 38 and 42mpg, depending on how I ride it. A few more mpg if I'm nice to the throttle.... at least unti I get stupid and do this...

170+HP at the wheel? Yes please! ;D

·
Registered
442 Posts
My next brand-new-vehicle purchase will be an electric motorcycle.

Obama is doing the old song and dance of "hey we gotta get off middle east oil," the same stuff that's been said by Presidents for the last few decades. Whatever.

The only thing that's gonna make us change our transportation infrastructure and housing patterns is the cost of gasoline. Right now oil demand is outstripping the global supply. What are we gonna do about it? Our Capitalistic economy demands even more consumption to keep itself running. Gas prices will roll back demand and consumption that Capitalism requires for a "healthy" economy. Here we go again, back into the recession.

Another problem is, we already have a kojillion gas-chugging vehicles, all of them sitting in our driveways, many of them gleaming new. What are we going to do with them when gasoline goes beyond $5, 6, 7 and we're paying $15 to drive a dismal 30 miles? What are we gonna do with them all? Discard them? Hope to find more well-off buyers who are willing to pay out of their arses for gasoline and maintenance on those cars? Modify their engines (which ain't realistic)? Who will be willing to take in the offloading? I remember in 2008 all the SUVs that had "FOR SALE" signs on them. Nobody was buying them.

Our economy infrastructure is so heavily built upon oil - in particular, cheap oil. A huge proportion of the goods we buy everyday come from petroleum. It's gonna take us a Manhattan Project-sized event to get ourselves out of this morass.

I live near a street filled with car dealerships. The fact that their parking lots are jammed with brand new cars that get crappy MPG (even 20-40 mpg to me is crappy) is just farking depressing.

·
Registered
804 Posts
We need to start thinking about forming roving motorcycle gangs with a thirst for gusoline like in Road Warrior.
hell yea! now thats what im talking bout

61 - 80 of 106 Posts