Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I never notice this noise before until shortly after I installed the fairings on my 05 SVS. It seems to only make the noise when coming to a stop and is not consistent every stop but happens about ever other stop or so and someimes 2-3 times in a row.

It sounds like a fluttering noise or like something is hung in the fender well slapping against something like a limb will do under a car. It seems to be coming from the front of the bike around the forks, very front of engine or brakes/wheel area...ok front of the bike to be more simple.

I have tried just using the back brakes, front only....both like normal and can't seem to duplicate it. I am still trying things like if I hear the noise try letting the clutch back out and see if it stops. Haven't deermined if it starts when clutch is pulled in or not but it seems to start when I am below 20-30mph coming to a stop.

I have looked under everything, between the fairings, exhaust, ect. and don't see anything touching anything else that shouldn't be. The right fairing is about 1/4" from the fork but doesn't touch it. Left side is a little farther out.

Anyone else had this sort of noise and can tell me what it is or have any ideas? I am going to re-check all the bolts again on the bike starting up front and work my way back. The motor revs smoothly and idles smoothly and the bike handles as well as the stock suspension is expected to handle. Maybe the fairings are directing the wind around the motor/bike differently and is causing something to rattle against something that I haven't seen yet?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Check all lines (brake, clutch, throttle) and wires to rule out any of them slapping.

Anything hanging on your key fob?

Could very easily be a clunk in the fork or steering column (common with 1st gen not sure about 2nd gen.)

Are all fairing stays secure?

[edit: steering head nut, not steering column; what am I thinking?? :-[]

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Believe me ... that clunk is still there with the second gen!

I can't ride right now but I am still trying to track that puppy down.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
currently-- More when hitting a bump/pothole or extremely hard front brake use? Might be the mighty steering head nut; I recall tightening mine maybe 1/16 of a turn and old clunky went away...

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
I will take a much closer look at that nut when I take the fairing off.
I will either replace it or send it out to be plastic welded.

·
Registered
23 Posts
try to imitate the sound with the motor off....roll it around ...may be the rotors making noise, the steering stem may be loose, or what is very common when added fairings is a cable or wire moving under front end compression to hi tthe farings...good luck

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the tips all! I will try rolling it around with the motor off and see...hmmm I do have a steep downgrade on my driveway into the culdisac :D...ok maybe that won't be a bright idea.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
This is a long shot, but perhaps you are hearing the fluttering noise (sounds like a deck of cards) from the clutch, which is now resonating between your fairings making it more audible for your perception. Just maybe, as you will only hear that during lower speeds. Pull in the clutch next time ya hear it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts