Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK heres the deal, two bikes, 1st bike 2003 silver sv1000s , new leftover 7k out the door. pros like slvr like $ . Cons 2003 mod ,dealer @ 50 mi. from home. 2nd bike blk 2005 sv1000s $7800 out the door. pros dealer 5mi. from home and an old friend cons like slvr better , its $800 more. Choose

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hmmm. Question to you is how long do you plan to keep it and does re-sale dollars figure into it? If not i'd get the left over 03' in the color you like and maybe invest some of the savings into mods or track days :)

·
Registered
499 Posts
Go for the silver, you want it. not much difference between the '03 and '05 besides color and and a lower subframe, and it's only 50 miles... that's not far to drive once, then get it serviced at the local dealer.

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Go the 50 miles, get the silver, everyone knows that the Silver Bullets are the best, plus $800 you will need to spend on quality riding gear. Have at it!

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
distance to the dealer you purchase it from shouldn't make a difference except picking it up.

I bought my SV at a dealer 35 miles from my house and my local dealer 5 miles from my house has done 100% of the service including first service.

silver is the color you like and 800 cheaper, if it's leftover, it should still have 1 year warranty

·
Registered
263 Posts
Whichever one speaks to you the most. If you like the silver more than the black, then it is the one. Although I have a silver N,I have seen a full faired black in person and like it too. Personally, I like the nakeds and when I saw it, just had to have it. ;D

·
Registered
453 Posts
Something to keep in mind is that dealers always treat there own customers with #1 priority, if you bring a bike in and didnt buy it from them you go to the back of the line.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As far as the close to home dealer thing goes he does not have the black 05 but has to get it from some dealer unknown to me. He was upfront about marking it up @$450 to make it worth his while. This means the diff. between a new 05 and a leftover 03 only $350. I would have thought it would be more.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
sprint_9 said:
Something to keep in mind is that dealers always treat there own customers with #1 priority, if you bring a bike in and didnt buy it from them you go to the back of the line.
not true

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Am I the only one that thinks $7k is a bit high for a soon-to-be 3-year-old bike? My buddy picked up a 2003 in July, '03 for about $7300 OTD. I would think you should be able to get it down at least to about $6500 or so.

Is that price OTD?

·
Registered
241 Posts
novakane said:
7k is too much for a near 3 year old bike imo

go with the newer one unless that guy drops the price
It's still brand new with factory warranty right? Then the only difference other than personal color preference would be re-sale. You'll get a little more for the 2005 a few years down the road. If that's a bargaining chip, then get the '05 and get it painted what you'd like without logos. If not, enjoy the silver SV. We all know that they're the faster color anyways.

·
Registered
71 Posts
That dealer has had the bike sitting on his floor taking up space for 2 years. If you are rock solid and don't show your excitement over the bike, you'll definitely be able to talk them down....and if they don't take your offer...leave..and then come back next week...it will still be sitttng there...make the same offer....continue until you get it for a rock bottom price.

50 miles aint sheet. I commuted that far every morning this summer on my SV.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's not the 50mi.to fetch it I have a problem with it's the service down the road I'd have done at my local dealer and the fact I didn't buy from him I'm worried about.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If it were me, I'd drive the 5 miles, get the sexy black bike and you're not riding a 3 year old bike. That will be a resale issue should you decide to sell the '03, you'll pay for the depreciation, might not be that much but.....

I agree that if you want to save the money, hold out for a lower price on the '03, they want to get rid of that bike and it should be much less than $350 for a 2 year older bike.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
thumptheton said:
It's not the 50mi.to fetch it I have a problem with it's the service down the road I'd have done at my local dealer and the fact I didn't buy from him I'm worried about.
My thought on that may not be accurate, but...
Sales of bikes is a low margin item at a dealership, just as with cars. Service is the major cash flow. The Dealer isn't going to be as concerned about where you bought the bike 3 years or 3 days ago as they are about getting the $45/hr+ today. Some Dealers will concider it a feather in their cap that they stole the service from a competitor.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts