Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it so important to break a bike in for thousands of miles before using a synthetic oil? Thanks

A

·
0 Posts
Some people think that synthetic oil will not let the piston rings seal to the cylinder walls correctly.

Other people claim that because Porche and someone else use synthetic right from the factory they can use it in whatever they drive/ride.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
03Dynasty said:
Why is it so important to break a bike in for thousands of miles before using a synthetic oil? Thanks
common knowledge is that synthetic oils are too slippery and do not provide enuf friction between surfaces when machines parts are mating. With modern machineing technology (if used in the manufactureing process by a particular manufacturer like Porche) it is likely that the machineing is so good that breakin is not necessary or requires less friction.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
the machining of the cylinder bores is delibrately made rough (honed) in order for the piston rings to rub against the rough hone-marks and eventually seal perfectly as they "grind" together. if you use synthetic oil from the start, this process of wearing down the hone-marks will take longer due to the oil being too slippery. the bike will still break in, but it will take longer.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Maybe we should ride without any oil at all for the first few hundred miles and then just go right to synthetic... :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
RandyO said:
common  knowledge is that synthetic oils are too slippery and do not provide enuf friction between surfaces when machines parts are mating.  With modern machineing technology (if used in the manufactureing process by a particular manufacturer like Porche) it is likely that the machineing is so good that breakin is not necessary or requires less friction.
Good point!! I know that a lot of Porsche owners dont change their oil except for every 10k miles or sometimes more...just because it isnt necessary on these cars...
now i just dont switch to sythetic yet because i trust my tech who works on my bike and believe that since the factory trained him that he knows best!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts