Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just for kicks today I decided to get some insurance quotes on a possible new bike next year. The two I chose were the SV1000S and the GSXR 1000 (just because I knew this one would be high). Here is what I got:

Allstate whom I have my car and home owners under
SV1000S=1564 per year
Gixxer 1000=2760

Progressive whom I have my sv with now.
SV1000S=978
Gixxer 1000=1700

State Farm
SV1000S=825
Gixxer 1000=825

All same coverages were used, full coverage 100k/300k for a 32 year old driver with a absolute clean record. I was floored by the savings. State farm said that they only judge bikes by cc's not type of bike. So a cruiser with 1500cc's would cost more than a gixxer to insure ;D ;D Hum, the gixxer is sounding tempting next year now. ;)

Under200

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Zoinks! That really excites me! But I think I'll probably stay lazy and stay Progressive. They may be the best but maybe not. It's easier on my mind if I don't even know.

Thanks for the tip! Jimfather, you too!

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
ShaggyZ said:
Zoinks! That really excites me! But I think I'll probably stay lazy and stay Progressive. They may be the best but maybe not. It's easier on my mind if I don't even know.

Thanks for the tip! Jimfather, you too!

seroiusly try state farms, they saved me $600 on my truck, i had nationwide and about $100 on the sv i had progressive

the hospital policy makes you a mutual customer, a life insurance policy works too, i got a quote for $460 for a 1000cc bike thru them :eek:

·
Registered
238 Posts
State Farm is goofy as hell. I've got them and they go solely on engine displacement. Funny cause the Harley guys pay through the roof. I called on a quote for a Triumph Thruxton 900 (69 hp) and it was some astronomical number compared to the SV which would blow it away all day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Keep in mind State Farm requires you to insure your cars with them if you want motorcycle insurance. iirc

·
Registered
53 Posts
State farm offered me a decent rate, but requires an auto policy in addition, which is where they tried to screw me.
I ended up going with Foremost - rate is good, and fortunately haven't needed them for anything so I don't know how their claims dept is.

·
Registered
70 Posts
+1 Foremost (USAA)

I use to have SF and then I switched to USAA and then they guided me to Foremost to insure my bike. I ended up overall with lower rates and better coverage.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Country Insurance has always had the best rates for me.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
But not all companies are the same.

State Farm for instance only pays what the bike/car is worth. So if you buy a 10k bike, wreck it 2 months later, and blue book says its worth 8.5k .... then they pay 8.5k ..... even though you owe closer to 9.5k on the loan.

They also require a car too .....

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
In my claims with Statefarm auto and moto, I almost always got more than I paid for either the vehicle or damages.

·
Registered
498 Posts
650 riders may want to checkout american family insurance.  I am well below 400 per year, but they don't write for gixxers.  (FYI Progressive quoted me well over 4000 per year) and I have the limits listed above.

·
Registered
64 Posts
MeLLow_YeLLoW said:
I like Gieco

550/yr full coverage.
I hate Geico. They tried to charge me over double then State Farm. Apparently the Gecco must have gotten a raise for doing all of those commercials or something. ;) My wife and I switched everything over to State Farm which Geico had all of this stuff before so it was apples to apples. We get full coverage on two cars, my motorcycle and renters. We also got our life insurance from them. They were cheaper then everyone in every area.

·
Registered
200 Posts
jagsv650 said:
I hate Geico. They tried to charge me over double then State Farm. Apparently the Gecco must have gotten a raise for doing all of those commercials or something. ;) My wife and I switched everything over to State Farm which Geico had all of this stuff before so it was apples to apples. We get full coverage on two cars, my motorcycle and renters. We also got our life insurance from them. They were cheaper then everyone in every area.
Geico gave me a much better rate than State Farm or All State. I only carry liability at $88/year, but full coverage was only around $135/year for my 2000 naked (38 year old, clean record), and after my recent skirmish with a sand road, I might upgrade.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Under200: What state are those quotes from???

·
Registered
92 Posts
Bud. said:
State farm offered me a decent rate, but requires an auto policy in addition, which is where they tried to screw me.
I ended up going with Foremost - rate is good, and fortunately haven't needed them for anything so I don't know how their claims dept is.
i currently have a claim in process through foremost.   so far the claims dept. has been quite efficient.  i called in to make the claim and no more than 1 hour later i was contacted by a claims rep who basically told me the only step left was to send an adjuster to tally the damage.  he estimated that i'd have a check in hand within 7 days. 

this is the 3rd day..

however, after seeing that state farm judges by cc and not class i am considering a switch..  i'm paying $980/year for full coverage with a $250 deductible (i'm 23 first bike no prior motorcycle experience)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thumbs up to Dairyland. '02 SV650S 28 Years old, married, with 3 careless and prohibited and 1 failure to obey traffic signal. $270 a year full coverage with a $250 deductible ;D

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
In Nodak, I have full coverage through State Farm on an '05 SVS, 18 bucks a month for 250 comp and 500 collision, I may bring my collision down and even my comp because 18 a month is nothing.  I just turned 25 by the way, and it went from 48 to 18 a month, just for turning 25.

*edit* I have a totally clean record by the way, only claim on my insurance was when some piece of crap stole my sub out of my car a few years ago.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts