Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

· Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a few people mention that they removed their rear brake reservoir. Why are people doing this? And if you do are you replacing it with something?

I was digging around on the GSG Mototechnik site and noticed this:

How good is this mod?

Why do it?

Is is a image-only thing or does it actually make a difference in maintenance / performance?

I'm just curious. It doesn't look like they even make one for SVs.

· Registered
7,369 Posts
Easier to refill is one of them. There's a weight loss but it's pretty trivial. I went through the rear end of my bike and added connectors and relocated parts to make it easier to fit and remove the rear end, so that was a bonus. But mainly, it just looks cool- I have the HRC kit fitted and it's a nice tidy bit of kit

· Registered
2,641 Posts
I'd just add that not everything that's good for a racebike, esp a prototype, competition-only bike, is good for a an SV, esp one intended as a streetbike.

One thing that hasn't been considered... the stock master has a bellows in the seal, that keeps moisture in the air from contaminating the fluid, yet allows expansion downward as fluid is used. A slot in the cap allows air to fill in the area atop the bellows, so fluid can fill in as pad material wears, and the pistons begin to walk outward. On the race-style tube, there isn't any provision for air to fill in when the fluid migrates downward, so it won't -- that means the as the pads wear, it'll take more and more lever travel to get the pads to touch the rotors.

It'd be on the rear brake, so it isn't as much an issue since I only use it as a hill-holder. But I've seen this setup on the front, on streetbikes, and have to think... this would be the height of daftness on a commuter. :confused4:

· Banned
4,173 Posts
... One thing that hasn't been considered... the stock master has a bellows in the seal, that keeps moisture in the air from contaminating the fluid, yet allows expansion downward as fluid is used. ...
You mean in the resevoir, right? I dont think the stock rear res has any kind of bellow in it. Does it? Unless you are talking about something else...

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.