Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fresh rotors, fresh brakes on the rusty, trusty Mirage. The front right doesn't make any noise at all, but the front left almost always gives a fairly quiet squeal when braking at mid speeds; 15-20mph.

But usually, when nearing a stop, it gives a horrid, nails-on-the-chalkboard screech. It sounds like the feeler is touching the rotor, but it isn't.

I pulled the caliper off this weekend to inspect it and found nothing out of the ordinary. Put the caliper back on, and the squeal went away. "I'm awesome!" was my next thought.

But then after a few dozen miles, it started again.

Is this the point where I apply that "brake squeal" stuff to the backside of the pads?

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Is this the point where I apply that "brake squeal" stuff to the backside of the pads?
I would say yes. Did you use any brake pad/caliper grease during the installation?

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I would pull the pads and clean and grease all moving parts. That should help with the problem. The pads may still squeak until the protective coating on the pad finally wears off. That can take a couple of weeks depending on how often and how aggressively you drive. Since the parts are still mating, that's probably why it stopped squeaking for a little while this morning. Since you removed them it probably changed how the pads and rotors were contacting until you made a few stops down the road.

·
Banned Member
4,562 Posts
Lube the slide pins while you're at it. If they're sticking the caliper can't center on the rotors and a squeal might be the result.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
The pads have been on for several weeks, so I know the coating on them is gone.
Ah. Then I would stick to the cleaning/greasing and silvers' suggestion and see if that works.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Anti-squeal on the back of the pads.

·
OberKommandant
6,127 Posts
Vaseline on the rotors will make that squeal go away. ;D

·
Registered
948 Posts
I think they are trying to tell you to go to the post office...:)

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Lube the slide pins while you're at it. If they're sticking the caliper can't center on the rotors and a squeal might be the result.
Anti-squeal on the back of the pads.
I agree with both of these. My wife's Elantra was squealing after new rotors, brake pads and rear brake shoes. I really think it was the pins, they were very rusty and the caliper was hanging up on them. I cleaned and lubed those, plus cleaned the pistons and cleaned/lubed the back of the pads and the squeal went away. I only wish I did one at a time so I knew which one was the culprit.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
could be the makeup of the pad linings also..

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Some brake pads have a high metal content and tend to squeal normally. I had some on my old car and ended up just replacing them with different pads, they were so terrible.

·
Registered
920 Posts
If all else fails, this always works:

You want a finish on the rotors that is non-directional, as in not following the curve of the rotor surface like a groove on a record does.

Here's what you're shooting for....note the cross-hatch pattern:

And here's an attachment on a brake lathe being used to do it:

You can achieve similar results with a drill and some disks yourself without the fancy machinery.

Then you can do as Depeche Mode suggested back in the 80's and "Enjoy the Silence".;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts