Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why cant all street Bikes come with inverted forks? They make the best technical sense, are stiffer, have less unsprung mass for better ground contact, and are what everyone wants anyway! Why cant the manufacturers just get it right? I mean I would pay the extra $200-400 list to get them with a new bike instead of the $1000 retrofit for my SV. They could have taken the front end off the old TL and bolted it onto the SV line. I just dont get it. Are they that much more expensive? (The new Honda 599 has them and it will be a great selling point)

G

·
Morpheous said:
Why cant all street Bikes come with inverted forks? They make the best technical sense, are stiffer, have less unsprung mass for better ground contact, and are what everyone wants anyway! Why cant the manufacturers just get it right? I mean I would pay the extra $200-400 list to get them with a new bike instead of the $1000 retrofit for my SV. They could have taken the front end off the old TL and bolted it onto the SV line. I just dont get it. Are they that much more expensive? (The new Honda 599 has them and it will be a great selling point)
because not everybody is like you.some people want cheap bike.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Don't drink all the kool-aid...

A good set of conventional cartridge forks, sprung and adjusted properly, are better than most bargain inverted types.  

Take the inverted forks on the Hyosung or Honda 599 for example.  No external compression adustability on these units at all, they just plain suck.

Just because they are inverted, does not mean they are good.

Quality suspension components = $$$$, inverted or otherwise.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
TWF said:
or inverted forks on older ducati monster.
Yes, they were garbage too.

·
Registered
397 Posts
tonyjuliano said:
Just because they are inverted, does not mean they are good.
Amen. Don't get caught up in the hype - the 599 / GT650 etc. forks are just for show, they add nothing to the riding.

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would still take inverted crap forks over conventional crap forks anyday. (At least they look high tech)

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Morpheous said:
I would still take inverted crap forks over conventional crap forks anyday. (At least they look high tech)
And credibility for the question... just flew out the window.

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nudist said:
And credibility for the question... just flew out the window.
Hows that? If they are both the same low budget crap that comes on the SV, and "fixable" with cartridge and springs/oil, I would rather fix the inverted ones, No? (They still have the stiffness and unsprung weight advantage) think about that.....credibility still in question?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I've read that a certain amount of flex "speaks" to the rider, tells you when the machine is on the edge. I've heard of people who raced R6s who liked the old conventional front end better. Often something that is better for a talented rider is not necessarily better for you.

G

·
NOsquid said:
I've read that a certain amount of flex "speaks" to the rider, tells you when the machine is on the edge. I've heard of people who raced R6s who liked the old conventional front end better. Often something that is better for a talented rider is not necessarily better for you.
correct,some people like flexing feel.
some junk inverted forks are not rebuildable.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Morpheous said:
Hows that? If they are both the same low budget crap that comes on the SV, and "fixable" with cartridge and springs/oil, I would rather fix the inverted ones, No? (They still have the stiffness and unsprung weight advantage) think about that.....credibility still in question?
a brace will easily make a regular fork stiffer than and inverted, unsprung weight advantage is questionable to minimal at best

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Fork braces are intended to keep the legs moving up and down at the same time, lessening any tendency of the axle to twist under side loads on the tire. They don't add much front-to-rear stiffness.

There shouldn't be a big difference in cost. There is a bit more aluminum and the triple clamps have to be larger (larger diameter at the top), but the internals are the same (assuming same damper design). On the SV better standard forks will help more than crummy inverteds (that's been said above).

Fork braces are not so simple as they appear. Installation must be precise or you can induce rapid seal wear.

There are experienced folks who prefer standard forks for street use for that flexy feeling mentioned above. I can feel better damping, I can't feel standard vs. inverted.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Morpheous said:
"At least they look high tech" ---- Its not about looks, its about how they perform... I would rather have a built conventional set then junk inverted.... Would rather have built USD over all....

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
NOsquid said:
this is true and the best statement on this thread. some of you guys that have been riding awhile may remember back in the mid to late 90's that riders/racers always wanted a stiff setup. like 30mm in front, 25 or so out back. the last few years thats taken a turn to a softer setup that has more feel and flex. it feels better, and produces better times at the track. most experienced tuners like 35mm or so up front and 30-33mm out back. its so much easier to ride too.

even though i dont race with usd forks on my SV, i'd have to believe they're probably too stiff for the best setup. i know a lot of racers think that.

·
Registered
330 Posts
You are forgetting about very important advantage that conventional forks have over inverted forks. When you are riding the twisties and completely toast the poser on his tricked out R1 and are sitting on the side of the road waiting as he pulls up. He looks over at your conventional front end and is even more embarassed, that's priceless.

Zak

·
Registered
82 Posts
TWF said:
because not everybody is like you.some people want cheap bike.
My Maurader has inverted forks and it was a cheap bike. $5800 I believe. Of course maybe they saved money on the rear drum brakes and lame headlight.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Zak650 said:
You are forgetting about very important advantage that conventional forks have over inverted forks. When you are riding the twisties and completely toast the poser on his tricked out R1 and are sitting on the side of the road waiting as he pulls up. He looks over at your conventional front end and is even more embarassed, that's priceless.

Zak
;D - But when he finds out that its a girls bike with better suspension, brakes etc... thats also fun :)

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
dhuze said:
My Maurader has inverted forks and it was a cheap bike. $5800 I believe. Of course maybe they saved money on the rear drum brakes and lame headlight.
And the inverted forks on your Maurader were crap too...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts