Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the pics of the new BMW got me thinking, why do so few bikes have SSSA? Is it because of cost? Weight? Safety issues? At a glance, the SSSA seems comparable to traditional set-ups in all those categories...

Enlighten me guys

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Bike companies just hate us and want to make us sad.

In reality, I would guess it comes down to cost. Even if the parts cost about the same (although I bet they don't) I imagine that sssa demands a little more time engineering a bike then the tried and true method. Not sure, but that is what I would guess.

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
SSSAs are generally heavier than conventional swingarms. They require more engineering time and more expensive fabrication than simpler swingarms. And you gain ?

How many MotoGP racers have single-sided swingarms?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SSSAs are generally heavier than conventional swingarms. They require more engineering time and more expensive fabrication than simpler swingarms. And you gain ?

How many MotoGP racers have single-sided swingarms?
Maybe they aren't totally ideal for performance but I think the difference is negligible for street bikes - plenty of high end Euro supersports use them after all. I would be willing to sacrifice 1% of performance for the awesomeness of a SSSA on the street, I'm sure the majority of bike buyers would too. Seems like it has to come down to manufacturing cost, I wonder what the diff is - it can't be a lot

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
The question was "Why don't more bikes have SSSA? " The answer is that the added cost brings little or no benefit. (Cost > benefit = not such a great idea.) "Awesomeness" is a little harder to justify on engineering terms. You must be a marketer at heart.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
fast tire changes
And even that's not true any more. With a good quick change system the factory bikes at Suzuka (and in the past, Daytona) the wheels, both front and back, could be changed faster than the fuel can be put in.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts