Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a gentle low side at the track while on slicks during a race that turned wet(er)
Replaced the bent fork tube. The other one is still straight.
Obviously, I had the whole front end apart so changed oil in the other tube as long as I was in there anyway.
Both tubes are straight, clamps seen to be aligned but the clamp is a few degrees (2 or 3?) to the right when the bike is going straight.
Then I loosened the steer stem nut, jiggled things around and re torqued but it made no difference.
I have another triple clamp set I can try but it doesn't make sense to me that's the problem.
Am I missing something?

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
S or N vesion? Can you upload a pic or two to show exactly where your seeing the issue?
I'm not sure what S or N designates. Bars or clip ons?
After thinking about it more, I have decided it can only be the lower clamp is twisted. I'm cleaning, painting my spare in preparation for replacement.
In the past, I have run over another bike and my bike was tossed and tumbled and the front end was fine. This time a gentle low side apparently bent a tube and twisted the clamp.
After I replace and test, I'll let you know how it went.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sounds like you did everything I would have tried, s you mentioned, try the other triple. Don't hear of triples or steering stems bending but what else could it be? I would have sworn the top/bottom triple clamps became mis-aligned but loosening the steering stem nut would have fixed that. Just asking did you loosen the fork clamps when you messed with the steering stem nut?

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like you did everything I would have tried, s you mentioned, try the other triple. Don't hear of triples or steering stems bending but what else could it be? I would have sworn the top/bottom triple clamps became mis-aligned but loosening the steering stem nut would have fixed that. Just asking did you loosen the fork clamps when you messed with the steering stem nut?
Yes. I left the upper clamp tight to keep the height adjustment then loosened the lower to re settle. I have the replacement installed but won't have time to reinstall everything and test until tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes. On another note, while cleaning the races, I noticed the lower race jiggles very slightly in the frame. I plan to peen the aluminum frame and secure it with red threadlock or maybe JB Weld.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's the results: As mentioned above, while cleaning the races, I noticed the lower race jiggled very slightly in the frame. I tapped the race out of the frame, peened the aluminum around where the race seats, cleaned, coated liberally with red threadlock and re installed the race. Now it feels solid. I installed the replacement clamps and stem, put it all back together and rode it up and down the neighborhood street. It's all perfect, looks straight and feels better than ever. It looks better too because I painted the upper and lower clamps flat black taking care to mask off the Suzuki badge on the upper clamp. I also removed the lugs for the ignition switch I'm not using so it looks cleaner. That means probably the lower clamp got twisted in the last fall. I did three races on it like that the next day.
I ordered the ebay Chinese fork tubes for emergency back up parts. When they get here, I'll put them in the old clamps to try and determine the exact nature of the distortion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts