Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I did a bit of searching trying to figure out why my speed sensor gear keeps breaking. I found a lot of references to them being broken and how to replace (very cool, cuz now I know I can buy just the gear), but haven't found any comments on WHY the darn thing breaks ALL THE TIME. Every time I take it off, there's another tooth broken. I glue it back on and put it back together and the next time it's the same tooth and another...lol. This last time, it was all four teeth broken off...not worn down, but broken off at the hub. Is there too much slack between teeth that causes them to slap against teeth on wheel and break? I'm tempted to buy a new gear and find out...maybe put something in to keep it snug?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's because you put it in without lining up the teeth with the notches in the wheel hub, then you tightened down the axle and snapped them off.
LOL..come on...I'm not that bad. The speed sensor won't go in unless the teeth are lined up and I watch as I put it in to make sure they are fitting into their slots. It slips right in without any added pressure required.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
LOL..come on...I'm not that bad. The speed sensor won't go in unless the teeth are lined up and I watch as I put it in to make sure they are fitting into their slots. It slips right in without any added pressure required.
NOT true...i broke one once By not lining up the tabs correctly prior to tightening down the axle nut.
all 4 tabs snapped....just like yours.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So ur telling me that even though it is flat against wheel from placement to torque...i can still have it misaligned? i can see that if theres a gap at first or if it pops into place...but it does neither of those. it not rocket science getting them aligned properly is it? all tabs are same width so it doesnt matter how it goes in. Right?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I used to hold the sensor body together against the wheel when mounting up the axle (vs bringing the wheel up to the sensor already up on the forks). The sensor gear is cheese, hard to pinpoint the tactile feedback as it either slots in perfectly or grenades itself.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used to hold the sensor body together against the wheel when mounting up the axle (vs bringing the wheel up to the sensor already up on the forks). The sensor gear is cheese, hard to pinpoint the tactile feedback as it either slots in perfectly or grenades itself.
yeah, that's what I do. I check alignment of teeth before joining it to wheel, then once it's joined, I put the wheel in and axle through. It's not a very difficult task. I guess I'll just have to order a new gear and the next time I have the wheel off, I'll put it in and see how it fits. I was just curious if this is a common occurrence.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Prior to loading the assy , by tightening the axle bolt, is when it can slip out of alignment, & by then you cant see it go out due to it bein covered up... esp. if you pushed back the spacer in the opposing fork tube during dissassembly.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Prior to loading the assy , by tightening the axle bolt, is when it can slip out of alignment, & by then you cant see it go out due to it bein covered up... esp. if you pushed back the spacer in the opposing fork tube during dissassembly.
The way I have my front "stand" set up, the wheel rolls into place. I put the sensor on the wheel and can hold it until the axle is seated and the forks are snug. It requires no lifting or maneuvering at all. I can easily hold the sensor with one hand while screwing the axle into place with the other. Thanks for the input though. I've been dealing with this ever since the first time I took it in to have the front tire replaced and they came out with a handful of plastic and said it was my speed sensor. After that, I started taking the wheel off myself to see what was up. As for the grease, I did not add more...it felt like there was enough in there and was moving freely. Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
Your problem may not be sensor in wheel but rather between sensor and fork leg, that bump/stop on fork leg does not fit in grove on sensor (as it may appear). Sensor has to go behind bump.

·
Super Moderator
8,937 Posts
... I glue it back on and put it back together and the next time it's the same tooth and another...lol. This last time, it was all four teeth broken off...not worn down, but broken off at the hub.
The glue might not be holding up. If the broken tab fails again, the remaining good tabs will take extra load. Or, once the old tab comes off, fragments might foul the remaining good ones. Maybe residual glue from a prior repair is causing breakage? Just guessing here...

Perhaps try starting over with a brand new rotor, make sure there is no residual glue anywhere, grease it up well, then try again.

·
Super Moderator
7,038 Posts
Your problem may not be sensor in wheel but rather between sensor and fork leg, that bump/stop on fork leg does not fit in grove on sensor (as it may appear). Sensor has to go behind bump.
I just replaced a front tire, and had to look twice at that. It almost looks like there is a groove in the speedo drive that the tab on the fork leg fits into, but there isn't. The tab on the fork leg just stops the drive from rotating forward, and doesn't fit into what almost looks like an alignment slot.

My speedo works fine, but it does seem to have more of a whine since I replaced the tire. I torqued the axle to the proper spec, but didn't regrease the drive.

Does it need new grease every time it's apart?

·
Premium Member
4,845 Posts
I just replaced a front tire, and had to look twice at that. It almost looks like there is a groove in the speedo drive that the tab on the fork leg fits into, but there isn't. The tab on the fork leg just stops the drive from rotating forward, and doesn't fit into what almost looks like an alignment slot.

My speedo works fine, but it does seem to have more of a whine since I replaced the tire. I torqued the axle to the proper spec, but didn't regrease the drive.

Does it need new grease every time it's apart?
It wouldn't hurt to grease it every time. Whenever I remove a wheel, front or back, I check the wheel bearings , grease all of the seals and lightly lube the axle. The wheels don't get taken off much, so I think it's a good idea to do some PM while I can.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
... ever since the first time I took it in to have the front tire replaced and they came out with a handful of plastic and said it was my speed sensor...
i think that's where it all began. either they broke it and won't admit it, or, if you're not the original owner maybe the p.o. broke it and the shop is not at fault. in any case, there's really no glue reliable enough to hold that together. sounds like your procedure is good and you are not breaking it on reassembly. just need to get a new one and be careful with it. it will not, (or SHOULD not), break during normal use if assembled correctly. i don't think grease is necessary, but i guess it wouldn't hurt.

·
Premium Member
4,845 Posts
i think that's where it all began. either they broke it and won't admit it, or, if you're not the original owner maybe the p.o. broke it and the shop is not at fault. in any case, there's really no glue reliable enough to hold that together. sounds like your procedure is good and you are not breaking it on reassembly. just need to get a new one and be careful with it. it will not, (or SHOULD not), break during normal use if assembled correctly. i don't think grease is necessary, but i guess it wouldn't hurt.
The part that I grease is the seal, not any of the internals.

IIRC, the seal of the speedo drive housing is static, ie doesn't turn, it rides against the inside of the rim hub, which does turn. Since it's rubber against rotating aluminum, it should get some grease to lubricate it and to seal out water. Same thing applies to axle seals.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
The part that I grease is the seal, not any of the internals.

IIRC, the seal of the speedo drive housing is static, ie doesn't turn, it rides against the inside of the rim hub, which does turn. Since it's rubber against rotating aluminum, it should get some grease to lubricate it and to seal out water. Same thing applies to axle seals.
didn't think of that. makes sense. i'll use some grease next time i have it apart.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts