Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
12 mm allen for front wheel?

I don't get it... All the misc. tools in the tool kit and NO tool for the front wheel?? WTF???

Didn't buy the SV new so maybe (I DOUBT IT) the previous owner shatched it.

Same for My FZ1... (although I got it new) Seems to me it should be one of the more important tool to include.

The fact that Yamaha and Susuki BOTH exclude that makes me wonder... WHY, WHY WHY?!?!

:mad: ??? :mad:

·
Registered
90 Posts
And around me, other than snap-on's $60 12mm Allen socket, It took me forever to find one. All the sets at my local hardware or autoparts stores only went up to 10mm.

I ended up finding a set at Princess Autos, but they were sold out. :mad:
Finally came in a month later.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I got mine cheap at sears. I guess they figure the odds of you taking the front wheel off the bike at roadside are pretty slim - can you blame em? Hard to think of a good reason to take the wheel off when you're on a ride.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have made do in similar situations on other vehicles like this

Find a long/strong bolt that has 12mm head and a bunch of nuts to stack on it.

Jam the nuts against each other and/or braze/weld them in place if time permits.

Stick bolt head in allen socket and turn the nuts with whatever you can find.

VW transmission drain plug tool anyone?

It is a bit rough, but can work when your options are slim.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
1st gen sv's tool kit lacked a 10mm allen required to take footpeg off to change shifter, but had tools to take front wheel off (on my 99 anyway)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Doesn't include wire and duct tape either. :D

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ronlarimer said:
I bought an allen key and made a "female to female" adapter by cutting it to about an inch long.  I can cut another piece for anyone local that needs one.
That's a great idea! If I'd have had one... I ended up picking one (set of 3) up at AutoZone for $7.99, The last ones on the shelf. Man I felt really LUCKY to have found it at the time!! 8)

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
my local Sears did not have it in stock. I ended up going to a small mom-and-pop tool store. Paid out the arse ($12 or so for the one socket! :eek:), but it was worth the convenience of having it in my hand that day rather than running around all over town, or ordering online and waiting for it to ship.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.