Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do cruisers cost so much more than sportbikes?

After reading through the Best looking cruiser thread, I started looking at some of the bikes I liked. I started noticing that pretty much across the board, you're looking at a minimum $11K for a new, mid size, cruiser. Most of the time you're actually in the $13K-$17K range, especially in the case of Victory, and of course HD goes up from there. The jap bikes seem to be a little cheaper, some down in the $8K-$10 range, but not many. The ones that are cheaper than that are usually passed over for being underpowered for a cruiser. Let's look at Suzuki, you can pick up an M109 for $13,799. However, a GSXR-1000 is only $12,899. Sure the M109 is Suzuki's biggest cruiser, whereas the GSXR1000 isn't their biggest sportbike, but even if you pit it against the Busa, the M109 is still $600 more. You're looking at a big, simple (relatively speaking) cruiser, compared to a born and bred race bike. What I can't fathom is how these big hunks of metal are worth so much more than sportbikes where so much time and effort if put into exact ergonomics and lightweight parts.

I'm not saying cruiser's are bad bikes, I just can't figure out where all the extra cost comes in. Is there really a $5K additional cost for billet parts? Maybe I'm just missing something.

·
Registered
54 Posts
More flashy stuff on the cruisers and that stuff costs more.

I had a VTX 1300 that I paid like $9,000 for. Great bike. Really smooth ride.

·
Registered
163 Posts
More parts = more assembly = more time = $$$$

Sport bikes are lightweight and basically have as little things as possible on em... Cost less to produce and assemble

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
Pound -for -pound, they cost about the same, don't they?

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
I would guess that the extra cost is for plating and coating of metal parts that are seen vs on a sportbike where all that stuff is just painted black because it is hidden under plastic. Painting and applying decals to plastic is still cheaper than chrome plating and powder coating.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pound -for -pound, they cost about the same, don't they?
Probably, I guess I'm just thinking in term of R&D. If you take a sportbike and spend 20 hours figuring out the best way to remove components to reduce weight while giving it functionality, that's a lot of money spend in man hours, research, and custom parts. If you take 10 lbs of billet, shave off a couple, then slam it on a cruiser because you don't give a sh*t about weight, I don't see where that extra cost is showing up.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Probably, I guess I'm just thinking in term of R&D. If you take a sportbike and spend 20 hours figuring out the best way to remove components to reduce weight while giving it functionality, that's a lot of money spend in man hours, research, and custom parts. If you take 10 lbs of billet, shave off a couple, then slam it on a cruiser because you don't give a sh*t about weight, I don't see where that extra cost is showing up.
Aren't cruisers designed to have a low center of gravity, instead of just having the weight thrown on? Now cruisers do not take into account any aerodynamics at all which effort is put into for sport bikes.

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
One style is marketed to guys 35+ the other guys 16-35.

who do you think has more expendable income?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Simple answer: cruisers cost more because people will pay it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Seeing some good reasons so far...how about all the engineering involved to make the bikes appearance appealing when you can't just cover all the wiring and components in huge panels of plastic?

·
Registered
975 Posts
HD prices set the baseline for the entire genre, but here are some other factors.
-The M109 is shaft drive.
-The extra 300# of processed material wasn't free.
-Designing bikes for functionality and a high degree of aesthetic desirability is probably just as costly as designing the simpler sportbike.
-Much like automobiles, the fit and finish is better on the costlier models.
I'm still trying to reconcile why the base 883 sportster is $7K and the price of a base model Dyna is $12K. $5K is a buttload of material and labor.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I'm still trying to reconcile why the base 883 sportster is $7K and the price of a base model Dyna is $12K. $5K is a buttload of material and labor.
I think a good part of that has to do with the costs of the big twin engine and trans vs the sprortster package. On the sporty, the engine and trans are all in the same package. On the big twins you have a transmission that bolts onto the engine and probably cost a little more to produce both parts and more labor to assemble the package. The bike is also bigger so more raw materials. Also, there is a little higher margin on dyna models.

What will really make your head spin, look at the base price of the iron 883 vs the Nightster. Youre looking at $7899 vs $9899. For $2000 all you get is an engine with a larger displacement. Everything else on the bikes other than color is the same. The 1200 even weighs less because they have essentially the same engine, the 883 just has less empty space in the cylinder and combustion chamber.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
I'm guessing that a similar amount of research and development goes into a cruiser as a sport bike actually. They are just working on aesthetics instead of weight reduction/performance.

·
OberKommandant
6,133 Posts
Raw "cool" is dificult to obtain, expensive to purchase, and tricky to install.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yeah but the time you take to figure out the way to reduce the weight and which components to remove is only taken once and applied to all of the bikes. Sport bikes have easier and faster production times.

For cruisers, you have to take just as much time designing and figuring out ways to add chrome and style without over doing the weight as you would in the design of a sport bike, but you have to add the cost of the extra materials and assembly time.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts