Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Right now I'm still not 100% sure, but here is why I want a SV650S.

You can customize this bike and do a lot to make it unique. I like to stand out and not be the same as everyone else. The only thing I'm not so sure I like about the sv is the v-twin. Not so sure if I want that sound. So use to inline-4. I love everything else about it though. Right now out of the 4 bikes I've narrowed my purchase down to the sv is #1. Two more weeks of research on all the bikes then purchase time.

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
I met a guy who had one in 2004... thats all it took. It was a first gen with airtech bodywork and some other things done to it. At that point i started to research and ended up buying a buddy's vstar. a good deal landed at my feet for an sv and now ive got one

·
Registered
174 Posts
Well....
I started on dirt like many others here... my hubby taught me on a XR100 that I fell in love with.  Went from that to a 2003 883 xlh (vivid black of course).  Loved that bike , but fell into the "I want a big twin" phase and traded it for the 2005 FXD (red- bright red).  Riding that around for a bunch 'o miles was fun, but the low- speed handling for me on the 600# monster was a little much for my confidence to handle.  John my dear Hubby thought that a lighter bike might be a good idea, and we started looking at the kawi 500 and SV.  I wasnt really convinced until I took my first ride away from the dealer on my newest baby, the '06 SV650 (teal of course).  can I shout "I LOVE THIS BIKE"  ;D  best thing I ever did.  Sold the Dyna to buy a two-up tour bike (the Road Glide) and now I wear my Harley shirts when I'm out on Dragonfly... man I love messing with people's heads  ;)
I can honestly say the handling on this bike is by far the most confidence-inspiring I've had since my XR100.  Handling, braking, the personality of this bike are just screaming "fun"
Now I just need to pile on the miles......

·
Registered
434 Posts
Had just off loaded my Duc, needed something new. I found a left over 03 orange in June of 04 looked around for three weeks while I teased the dealer(didn't want to deal with them). Finally walked in one day for a signal cover for a motard. Told the salesmen to make me a deal I couldn't refuse or I was going w/ a GSXR at a different dealer. 1mile on the odometer. SV1000 chin spoiler free 1000 mile service. Bike cover, extended warranty, a kiss on the A$$ and $6000 tax included. Out the door. Lovin it since.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was looking around at bikes when bit by the bug. Read that SV was a good starter bike. This summer same deal and did quite a bit of research. I also liked the look; middle of the ground between a sport/cruiser.
Found a '00 for $2800......didn't think I could beat it...

GJ

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
its was the best bang for the buck and its a suzuki

·
Registered
13 Posts
I couldn't afford an R6. I wanted SOMETHING, the dealer said the best bike I could afford was the SV. I knew nothing about it, but it looked fun and after I looked it up it seemed like a great bike. I still want the R6, and a YZF450, and a Raptor 700, and an R1, and an MV. But the SV is fun for now.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I live 8 hours from the nearest intersting roads, and I get to them about three times a year for a few days of adrenalin highs. lately (I'm 57) the old touring bike was getting chosen for the trip only once every three years, because the Corvette was a lot more comfortable and almost as much fun. Then I realized I could trailer a sport bike to the mountains to ride when the weather was perfect, and I'd still have the car when the temperature was over 80 or below 55, or rain was falling. I should have done this years ago!

I spent 3 years working at Stanford in the late 70s, and I put 200 miles on my bike almost every weekend, riding the mountain roads above the university. I had brought my lumbering Kawasaki 900 to California, and I was getting passed in turns almost every day. Then I bought a Yamaha RD400, and with less than half the horsepower I was passed in a turn exactly twice in two years. So, I know that power is almost irrelevant to the kind of riding I like to do. My SV650s has has as much power as the old Kawasaki 900 (which was the ultimate superbike of the day) and weighs almost 100 pounds less, and with a few suspension mods it handles even better than my RD400. I could afford almost any bike, but the SV is more than enough for my 8/10s riding style and the roads I ride.

Originally my choice was between the SV650s and GSXR600, based principally on eliminating other sportbikes because of excessive vibration (I have a problem with carpal tunnel syndrome, and I can tolerate almost no vibration.) I find the extreme lean required by these bikes to be a bit tiring for my neck on longer rides, so I needed a bike that would take Convertibars. Only the SV qualified on that criterion.

81 - 89 of 89 Posts