Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
The sv650 is the best bike for the price range I was working within. I could have gotten something else used, but all the used bikes I was looking at were in bad shape or not what I wanted.

Had it for 9 months, put almost 16,000 miles on it. Really like it. I'll move on some day, but for now it satisfies everything I'm looking for in a bike.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I almost bought one in 2001 with the money I made from a month long high paying job.  The problem was, it would have taken every cent I had just made.  So, instead, I bought a 600 bandit for about 2 grand less and took a cross country road trip with my girlfriend.  She's now my wife, so I think I made the right decision.  
Last October, the Bandit got run over by a beer truck while it was parked on the street and totaled it.  (When the steering lock breaks, you have to replace the frame).  So with the insurance money from the bandit, I finally got the bike I had originally wanted four years earlier.  Plus, I had to keep up with my brother and father, both of them owning blue 2nd gen nekkids as well.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I wanted a fun street bike so I bought an SVS in '99. The next year, I felt the sportbike itch and bought a GSX-R 750. The next year the 750 was relegated to track-only. Most I4 sportbikes are not fun on the street until you start getting stupid. The SV is just plain fun on the street. Maybe the same applies to other sporty twins, I don't know, I haven't tried any.

I haven't ridden/owned a bike since 2002. When I decided to get a bike early this year, the choice was easy - red 2006 SVS.

I've owed everything from a Yamaha RZ350 to a Honda CBX. The SV does everything I want and is by far the most satisfying bike I've ridden on the street.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I guess i should start from the beginning (if you just want to know about the SV, skip to the next paragraph).  When i was 13 i bought a 83' honda aero 80 with money i earned from a paper route.  Because i was only 13 i couldn't ride on the streets, but i still rode it around on backroads.  I still have the aero and i plan to restore it as an antique.  When i was 14 my parents got me a 49cc Avanti moped that was legal for me to ride.  I bought an 84' yamaha 49cc bike without a title, that was not running for $40.  A friend and i put some time into it and got it running for less than $10 more.  I later sold it for $50.  When i got my motorcycle permit at 16, my dad had a single cylinder suzuki savage 650.  I rode it for less than a year when he decided to upgrade to a Suzuki V-strom 650.  ive been riding the v-strom for about 2 years (i am now 19).

As for the SV.     i decided that i wanted a bike to take to school with me this fall, since i was at college for a year only being able to ride during the 1 or 2 weekends a month that i went home.  I really wanted to stick with a v-twin, but i wanted something a little sportier than the v-strom.  I looked at the katana 600, but it was carborated, and i wanted fuel injection.  I looked at the cbr 600, but people were asking WAY over book value.  That plus, the people at the local honda dealer are [email protected], and the local suzuki dealer is family owned, and the people are REALLY nice.  After about a month of searching for either a katana, cbr, or sv, my heart was set on the SV.

Reasons for the SV:
1.  V-twin
2.  2nd Gen full injection
3.  Price, even though i spent a lil more than i wanted to, so that i could get a 2nd gen
4.  Fairly inexpensive on insurance (unmarried male age 19)

I figure most people wont read this, since it is on page 5. Thanks to those who do.

·
Registered
160 Posts
When I started searching for my first bike I was looking for a good used R6 or GSXR 600. I really wanted a RC51 but I knew that it was not a smart choice for a first bike or for insurance. All the bikes that I was finding in my price range around here were either to old or trashed out. I saw the 05 SV650S in the paper and had always heard good things about them.

I decided on the SV because it was rider friendly. And I heard that it was a good starter bike. I knew that the SV wasnt going to be my last bike so I didnt mind getting it for my first bike. I have been thinking about selling the SV to get a fully faired I-4. But everytime I hop on the SV it makes me smile like the first day that I got her.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had been looking at bikes casually for a few years, and whenever I saw one go by I would always say damn, that person looks like they are having a blast. As gas prices started rising, I figured, heck, I can get a bike, save money on gas and have fun doing it.

I started looking at used bikes on craigslist. I was really digging the Yamaha YZF600, and looked good and hard for one for a while. I found a lot of dumped bikes, rebuild or salvage titles and in general got a feeling that many of the sellers were much more knowledgeable about bikes than me, and were telling me lines of BS about their bikes just to get rid of them. Add to that, I was really worried about the idea of going down the highway at 70mph on a bike that I was not 100% confident in (which would be the case on something I picked up from some guy on CL).

I stopped by a dealer to shoot the bull and see what they had in my range for something new, that would be good for a newbie. The salesguy was extremely helpful and a no bs sort of guy. He steered me to wards the Katana and the SV. In either case, a new one was a little more than I wanted to spend. I wasn't enamored in the look of the new SV with the black frame either in all honesty.

He mentioned he just took an 04 in trade, one that they sold and serviced there. Bingo! I saw the bike and was like damn, that is exactly what I am looking for.

I went home, thought about it for a while, and looked around on line. Every review I saw was positive, from magazines to this site. Almost universally the feedback I found was great bike for a beginner or experienced rider alike, flickable and high fun to ride quotient.

For me, big factors were reliability - the fuel injection was a must have, as well as the low end torque so if I am in too high a gear the bike doesn't stall out, and the final thing was the riding position since I wanted more of an upright position than the sportike hunched over position. Finally, I am not going to lie, it had to look cool. The Sv naked fits the bill in my book.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mine is more or less the same. I've never had a bike but always wanted one. I was thinkin a GSX750 because a lot of my friends had the liter bikes and they said I would get bored with a 600 too soon. I read more and more in magazines and then I couldn't resist it anymore. I remember an article in sport rider where the guy talked about how much he loved liter bikes and all that, but he said the motorcycle he kept taking home from the "work" garage was the sv650 because of the handling and the "fun factor". That got me started on the SV, then I kept reading about how great it handles and how its a perfect beginner sport bike but experienced ppl like it just as much not too mention it has one of the best handling. I was sold when I went to the dealer and started talking to the salesman who was around my age (26 at the time) and he took me out back and showed me a GSXR100 and a GSXR750 that were totaled. He flicked the key and both bikes had under 200 miles on them! He said it is sad, but that is what happens when ppl read about the biggest baddest bikes out there, and so they rush out to get them with the proper skills or experience. He said the SV was the perfect bike and said that the SV was the way to go especially since it was my first ever bike. I had already taken the MSF course before I even bothered checking the bikes out so I already had my license and I bought a brand new '05 SVS with full fairings and frame sliders in the faster blue that day! I've fell in love with motorcycling and haven't stopped smiling.....except when I have to get off of my bike and do that damn work thing! I also loved the price difference and the V-twin sound! I've had more ppl come up to me and say "nice bike, what kind is that?". I even had the MP's at the gate stop me more than once going to work to ask about it :p lol

·
Registered
247 Posts
I personally can't stand ss bikes, and I new after riding a v-twin thats what I wanted, I also new I wanted FI. so there wasn't a lot of choices, for me it was Road star warrior, Buell XB12S, or an SV650. The bike i had previously was a Kawi Gpz 550 and one day I rode my dads Road star and was amazed at the v-twin I new then I had to have one. The final reason was price and I am glad I made that choice I don't regret it at all!!

Here is my Gpz was a great bike but just needed somthing newer.

·
Registered
108 Posts
My sv650 is my first and only bike, bought it about a month after taking the MSF. My reasons were pretty simple, the dealer raved about it, a couple guys I work with suggested it, it was very comfortable (and I sat on everything since I had no idea what I wanted) and the price was right. The first dealer I went to only had red and I was ready to buy it, then my brother-on-law said to check out another shop in the area, I walked in the door and there was an 06 Blue Naked, the guys just finished putting it together about an hour before I walked in...and the rest was history... ;D

·
Registered
198 Posts
I bought the SV because I love streetfighters, and I really want a Speed Triple(or a Tuono R). But, considering the fact that this is my first motorcycle ever, reality set in and brought me back down to earth before I bought that rocketship of a Triumph. I've always liked the look of the SV since it's intro(I've been looking for a longtime), and it just felt right when I sat on it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I needed a new bike in 2004. I was wanting a green 600 ninja, and had found one at the closest suzuki dealership. I started looking at it, with 6500 miles and being 03, they wanted $6900 for it. Down three bikes was the baddest set of taillights I had ever seen. I started to check it out the sv650 and the dealer said it was marked down to 5900 because of lack of interest, nobody wanted it. I went home and he called me every week for a month before I went back and bought for 6400 with full fairings, hugger fender, sliders, tank bra, and extra warrenty. Then last oct., I ordered my new red sv650s which I love.

·
Registered
151 Posts
In August 2004, I was ready to buy my first bike in 10 years. I wanted a naked and was ready to buy a Honda 919. While I was waiting for a salesman, (busy day at the dealership), I saw a Silver '03 naked SV in the used section of the store with 310 miles (yes, 310) on the odometer. I remembered reading several good reviews about the SV.

'04 919: $8600
"used" '03 SV: $4600

Paperwork was done in 30 minutes.

·
Registered
34 Posts
In 2003 I was in the market for a new bike and was pretty much set on a supersport. I went down to the local dealer (Hillsboro Suzuki in Hillsboro, OR) to shoot the breeze and look at some gixxers (wasn't sure whether I wanted the 600 or something bigger). Walked into the show floor and the first thing I saw was the SV1kS in copper and I knew right away that was the bike for me. I'd read quite a bit about the SV online and in magazines so I knew it was a great bike, but I'd only seen pictures of the naked model and was looking for something a little more sport-ish (and thought the gixxer was the shizzle - which it is in it's own right). Seeing the SVS model in person and sitting on the bike sold me.

I took it home with 0 miles on it, and it now has 7k miles (so far...) AND my wife liked it so much that when she decided it was time for her to get a new bike we picked up a brand new '06 SV650 (naked) for her.

I haven't done any mods to either bike yet (besides adding Nate's frame sliders and swingarm sliders), but it is well beyond time. For the SV1kS, I just made the plung and decided to order a few new parts for it:
- color-matched hugger
- color-matched seat cover
- holeshot high-mounts
- holeshot flush-mount fender eliminator kit

Will post pics on a separate thread when everything is installed...

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Wasn't even interested in the SV but all of the used bikes I looked at were either over priced or beat the hell up and still over priced. I really wanted a 2001-2002 F4i but didn't have any luck. Seemed like every bike I called about or looked at was owned by some kid who just graduated high school, went out and bought a bike only to learn they had no clue as to what they were doing. After a few months I was pointed to an SV f/s ad that looked really promising. Adult owned, only 15xx miles on it. Went to check it out and as soon as the guy opened the garage door it was sold. Bike was absolutely imaculate. Already had Scorpion hi-mount, fender elim., and flush mount signals. I believe the previous owner was a member of SVR as he stated that he bought the Scorpion through a group purchase. Anyhow, I love the bike and am glad I bought a twin. Don't know if I'll ever go the i-4 route but a triple sounds like fun.

·
Registered
321 Posts
couldn't afford a Ducati Monster.

·
Registered
50 Posts
insurance is cheaper, they have a reputation of running forever, if you throw a TBR can on it will
sound sweeter than any Duc out there, and the taillignt.... the 03 and up models have the sickest
taillights i have ever seen. ;)

61 - 80 of 89 Posts