Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
21 - 40 of 89 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Well I wanted a simple and cheap used bike under $5k and the GS500 looked like a winner to me as first bike and it was in the right price range. Also was looking at the Ducati Monster as well. Then I heard about the SV650 kinda of an upgraded GS500. Did more research on the SV and it was the best bike in it's class and price range so I was set on that bike. I really didn't know what was different between the model years and was this close to getting an 03 SVS in sliver with some mods on it for about $4.5k. But then I saw an ad for a yellow 02 SV with low miles. When the guy pulled up to the 7-11, where I was meeting him at, I was like in love with it!!!! So pretty all yellow and black and it was just awesome to behold!!!!! I took the next day to arange the money, getting a trailer and storage place and then called the guy back and said I wanted it.

And well I took her home and this is very first pic of her I shot. What will I get next I don't know??? SV1000 with a single exhaust maybe?? But I might try an inline 4 but I love my hammering V-twin sound.

G

·
SV's ans SVS's are awesome

I baught my SV for 3 easy reasons. QUICKNESS, CHEAPER, HANDLING..
It moves very fast in the low gears.
Cheap insurance and overall price of the bike. (no fairings)
It handles awesome with a 160 rear tire you can dip in turns tighter and easier.

I have no problems smoking my buddies off the line and they have Bandit 1200, GSXR 750, Kawai ZZR600, R6, HARLEY CRUISER 1450, some of them eventually pass me when they start red lining. but in WI- MN area you don,t need to be going more than 135 any way. BUT OFF THE LINE ITS ALL ME BABY" Its hard to be beaten off the line.

My buddy races in Daytona Florida with his GSXR and his could not believe how many SV's were on the track, because of its quickness. He also said they were schooling him coming out of the turns. He said that he was very timid to her that low rumble sound come up right behind him and then next to him and then in front of him. He was very impressed and said he might trade in his suped up GSXR 750 for an SV. some day. He's an ewxperienced rider and I take him off the line all the time.

Cycle World rated them best bang for the buck for @ least 3 years in a row.
You will be quicker than that R6 any day.

How about this "I DARE YOU TO GET THE SV. AND realize how awesome a bike is supposed to be. Me weighing 135lbs I can throttle role wheelies very easily.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Re: SV's ans SVS's are awesome

taurus77 said:
....Me weighing 135lbs I can throttle role wheelies very easily.
I'm 172 naked and can't get my front wheel up for nothing. It's very sad. :(

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a different path to SV ownership. I started racing this year on an FZR400. I am having a ball, and I'm doing pretty well, but I'm quickly getting tired of the tiny grid sizes. As it happens, the D classes (that's where I race the Fizzer in WERA) grid up w. the LWTwins classes.

Well, I wanted to race something different after this season, but the Meatgrinder (the 600 classes) is not for me, and I don't want to go bigger than that. Then, I noticed that typically my times are good enough on the 400 that I'd be top 5 in the SV class, so I figured that if I were actually on an SV, maybe I'd be right up front!

So, I made a deal with a buddy...happens that he wants a 400, and has a few SVs, and long story short, I've got an SV for next season! I might even bust it out once this year :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
I got my Ninja250 about a month after I took my MSF course and almost ever since then I have been looking at which 600 would be my next bike. I've looked at all the sport/naked/standard bikes between 600 and 750cc out there and my interest was piqued when I saw the 2003 SV. I lOVE that frame, it looks like a bastardized Ducati Monster and it is soooo damn sexy that I have to have it. Then I stared reading all the great reviews it was getting in magazines, and the thing that clinched it for me was the price, only 6K NEW?! Dang! Plus, V-twins are an island of independance in a sea of I-4 sportbikes, possibly the only thing cooler than a v-twin in a Triple :p. So that's it. Hopefully I get to pick up an 05 SV by the end of the month.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
I wanted to get a bike after a 14 year stretch without.
My requirements were;
1) Cheap to buy, insure and maintain
2) Fun to ride
3) Wasn't all covered in plastic.
4) Looked cool.

The SV was the only bike that fit all 4 catagories, though to be honest I had the serious hots for the Speed Four. The additional money was an issue tho.

I had also read that the SV had a very loyal following. So after lurking at SoCal and here, my mind was made up and I bought it last April. Second best decision I ever made. The grin factor is tremendous, the support from other owners is great, and once I get the suspension sorted out, I will have the best bike ever

G

·
Hi. I'm new here. I don't have an SV because I sold my about 2 years ago after I bought my R1 and a track bike. But it was a mistake. I am trying to correct that right now but have not had luck finding any good deals. I will eventually buy one.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I noticed reading thru the posts, that the SV is either a first bike or a larger bike for most, unlike myself, the SV is smaller.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
I've been riding for over 25 years, I started at age 8 with a 1975 XR75. I still have that bike, though it's in pieces right now. I've owned MANY off road bikes, several cruisers and an FZR600, but never a brand new bike. I finally had a job paying decent so I talked to my wife about buying a new one. My criteria were almost exactly like Magpie's; (1) Inexpensive (2) no plastic covering the engine and (3) not outrageous to insure. So it was between the SV, the monster 620 and the Triumph. Price immediately ruled the Trump out, and then after some research on performance vs. maintenance costs I decided on the SV. I never considered an SV1000 because I'm not a fan of the 'S' models and I really wanted a smaller bike that would be fun in the twisties plus easy to commute on everyday (better mileage). I'm very happy with my choice. My best friend rides an '05 GSXR750 and my neighbor rides an '01 Bandit 1200 and if I want I can leave then off the line, for a gear or two anyway, LOL. :D

G

·
Well, I work in parts, and I never wanted to pay $500 for a side fairing. That and the fact that these are supposed to be great curve bikes. The Suzuki $99 per month deal was a reason too.

·
Registered
326 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
I was pretty decided on buying a Ninja250r...but I e-mailed my MSF isntructor to get his opinion, and he told me he was selling his SV650 with a good bunch of mods on it. So I went for it, because the naked is cheap to insure, cheap to drop, and it had clipons and rearsets.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Well to be honest the Ducati 999r was my first choice.. but for some reason that didn't quite work out. :roll:

G

·
Had 2 CBR 600s, a GIX 750, HD 1200 Sporty Custom... The SV had the adaptablility that I wanted in a bike... Wouldnt take one of the miles or smiles back.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
My dad has been riding for most of his life on and off. A few years back he got another bike. A Kawasaki ZR7S. I was looking for something to brighten my life and have some weekend fun.

I put him on the search for a first bike for me. It took a little while as I looked at a Kawasaki EX250 and Ex500. They weren't even in my price range. (Not for a new one at least). We watched the papers and he talked to some of his friends. We finally found what we were looking for. A 03 Silver SV650 a friend of a friend of his was looking to sell. We drove to check it out and I immediatly fell in love with looks of the bike. The next day I was picking up my new girlfriend. :D

·
Eagle one
1,660 Posts
Dude........ I stared at your Avatar for quite a few minutes , saying to myself, man he is gonna get busted for putting that there.......... then I realized what I was lookin at :shock:

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
i did the same thing!!! it took me a minute than i was like, dude, its a mouse!! that was pretty funny wheni realized what it was

G

·
I just sold a ripping fast, comfortable and very hooked up Yamaha FZ-1. Honestly... I LOVE the V-Twin and I love the way it sounds. I gave up a few horsies but who cares. My SV1K is fast, good looking and sounds like a monster with the M4s on it. :twisted:

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
i grew up riding dirtbikes and have ridden all sorts of machines on and off.... i never felt like any really suited my needs or personality. But in the summer of 00 i traveled to the americad specifically to test ride motorcycles, and the Sv was by far my favorite demo out of the bunch, out of the 4 days i was their i rode both s and nakeds twice. through college i f kept an eye on their developement, but could never afford to opt in.

I love the bike for all the reasons else does.. hell i dont even mind the crummy suspension.. im accustom to squishy and excive travel(its fun).

lurked on mainly this board for about two years and read countless reviews and comparisons. My college beater was falling a apart at a hard ridden 60k miles so Imade the decision to upgrade over my winter break. my friend was going to cut me an amazing deal on an fz6 and i was about to jump until i test rode it and wasnt as impressed as i had hoped. i came home was caculating my options on the fz and a new sv, then i stumbled on to a used one that night at a great price(from the classified section here), and i pretty much was sold it from that point.

21 - 40 of 89 Posts