Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Cars & Bikes have always been a passion of mine, but financially never thought I would be able to afford a bike and its associated costs at a young age. But I knew I would get a bike one day, so I went ahead and got my 6R back in December 2005, but after passing the test, I lost all interests because to financial reasons.

When a friend of mine bought a CBR600 Smoking Joe in October 2007, I was motivated to get a bike myself.

I still remember when I rode it from my driveway to the end of my street and back. I was just astonished at the power/weight ratio. I still remember sliding back in the seat as I twisted the throttle then just holding on to the handle bars and squeezing my knees onto the tank for dear life.

That was it! I was set on getting a bike next rather than a sports car. My initial plan was to get a Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo somehow for the summer of 2008, but those plans all changed in that one 30 second ride on that CBR.

Only problem; I didn’t have $5000 sitting around to go and buy a bike, do the courses, buy gear, plate it, etc. At the time I had a nice car and the only way I was going to get a bike was to make a sacrifice somewhere.

So in April 2008 I decided to sell my car and fund my new theoretical passion.

Sold my car in May 2008, then bought a $500 beater and since I already had my 6R, I renewed it and signed up for Morty’s Courses. Passed my Closed Circuit in September 2008 now all I had to do was get a bike, 6A full license and start riding.

But I bet you’re asking: “Dipin2988, why such a drastic change so fast?”

I’ll tell you, the reason I decided to spend a ton of money was simply because of: it would be awesome being a part of “The Biking Community” and the thrill of riding a bike.

Because bikers are so rare and in such few numbers, it’s almost like a family.

When my friend got his bike, he only had his 6A Learners, but he rode to school almost every day from Dorval to Ahuntsic-Cartierville. One day on his way home by Decarie and 40-West on the service road he got caught by the po-pos. The cop was explaining to him how he shouldn’t be riding without someone (because he only has 6A Learners) but my friend played stupid and acted as if he lost his buddy who had his full license in the traffic. After arguing for 30 mins, the cop said, “I’m sorry, but I’ll have to tow your bike”. As the cop returned to his car to call for towing, a fellow biker must have seen him pulled over on the side of the road and pulled up to offer some help. Since the cop was still in the car, my friend explained to this fellow biker the situation, and all his response was: “Don’t worry about, just play along”. This fellow biker went up to the cop and explained to him how he was supposed to be following me, but we lost each other in traffic. After 10 mins, my friend was let go and on his ways. This fellow biker didn’t ask anything in return, just to ride safe and smart and was off on his way after disappearing from the cop’s sight.

Its actions like this which makes me proud to be in the biker community.

My second reason is plain and simple. To anyone who’s ridden a bike knows this, the performance of a bike is not easily matched by a car. A bike simply gives you the best performance for its price. The fuel-efficiency, thrill of ridding with the wind hitting you and the feeling of doing 150km/h when only doing 70km/h is unmatchable in a car.

After selling a car that I loved, and dropping $5000 on a bike + $600 on courses + $550 on plates + close to $250 on licensing fees + almost $1000 on gear, I have no regrets so far.

All I wish I could do now is ride!

·
Registered
628 Posts
The story about the other rider pulling over and pretending that he was riding with your friend is pretty cool. I was under 18 in the US so I had to follow a similar rule, but never knew anybody with a full endorsement until after I got my own 12 months later. It's cool to know that there are some riders out there that would stick their neck out for us.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Nice that everything worked out for you.

Why did I get a bike? I spent 4 months in a South American country (3rd World Country) and a lot of people ride bikes because of traffic congestion. So after seeing so many ppl riding bikes I decided to get one. I couldn't be more happier...

·
Registered
90 Posts
While I agree that it is pretty cool that some guy pulled over and totally covered for him, which is awesome, it's still not very smart to ride without your full license IMO. So hurry up and get it! :)

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I got my bike because since I was little and I would see bike riding anywhere, I'd tell my parents "I want a bike" so I turned 21 moved out had a decent job and bought a car, a bike, and a dog. Lost the job, sold the car, kept the bike. I just couldn't part with it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I was always into cars, a friend got an r6. I didn't think anything of it until he brought i back to school last year in the spring and i was looking over it. saw the big duel rotors and the tach redlining at 15.500, and decided bikes were really ******* cool, and wonderd why i didn't already want one. i got my permit and he let me ride it around a parking lot (kinda scarry didn't want to drop friends new bike) but i was hooked. got a good summer job and bought the SV probably the best/worst finnancial decision.

·
BANNED!!!
4,805 Posts
****, didn't know the licensing stuff was strict up there. Kinda hypocritical for Americans to give you sh!t about riding with the Learners license because we can go our whole lifetime without getting a permit or the M endorsement and get pulled over and it doesn't even matter.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Bicycles have always been a huge part of my life. However, I never had a motorcycle because my parents were adamantly against them. I recently decided to challenge myself by getting a bike and I'm really enjoying it. I'm finding riding is making me a much better motorist too. I'm way more engaged and aware during the driving process now.

Msurk

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
****, didn't know the licensing stuff was strict up there. Kinda hypocritical for Americans to give you sh!t about riding with the Learners license because we can go our whole lifetime without getting a permit or the M endorsement and get pulled over and it doesn't even matter.
Maybe in Indiana, laws are different in every state. Getting pulled over on a permit (or worse, not even a permit) here can very easily run you a couple grand in tickets/impound fees if the cop wants to throw the book at you - which is 9 times out of 10 if they are NYPD.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
i was puzzled by the OP's chronology, (got a 6r in '05, rode friend's cbr 600 in '07), until i realized the 6r was a type of license.
when i first started riding, (1976), a nice policeman pulled me over and told me he was going to help me get my license- by writing me a ticket for not having one, thus forcing me to get one.

anyway welcome to the club.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
When I was about 6 my dad brought home some old Ducati that maybe ran twice the whole time we had it. He bought my brother his first bike a couple of years later. I fell in love with bikes way back then, watching my brother ride around and around the back yard. He's let me ride on the back sometimes when I begged him long enough to wear him down. Dad bought me my first one when I was 12.

Rarely have I not had at least one bike in my possession since getting that first one. I wasn't able to afford bikes for my two oldest kids were young and that really has bugged me for not doing that for them. The youngest kiddo however got a minibike when she was 9. She's had a bike ever since too and now has her first SV.

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
I got a bike because I had to.... something inside me wouldn't let it go...

My dad has always had a late 50's triumph in the garage... never ran it though... he had a BSA that my mom and him toured Europe on when they first got married... I don't think I ever saw it running either.. but I liked to play on them in the garage when I was a kid he didn't keep the BSA very long but he still has the Triumph... then there was a friend of my dad had a big old harley that sometimes I could get a ride on...

then when I was 16 looking to do the part time job thing... I was looking to get a enduro... my dad convinced me to get a street bike instead... he said he would pay half of the bike and half of the insurance... so after some searching we found a sweet looking Yamaha XS400 Herritage Special instead of some junker... only cost $600 at the time too.. 2 or 3 years later the engine threw a rod so I ended up getting another bike... this time a very clean looking Yamaha Maxim 650... they did make some nice looking bikes for the time... had that for many years until I got my condo and had no spare cash so I gave it to my dad... he still has it but I didn't ride for about 4 years untill a guy who was renting my parent's basement left his bike in their garage and moved to another city... and instead of shipping it back he sold it to me for a sweeeet 2 grand (that was my 99 SV650s) it didn't need much to get it into shape either.... now I am hooked again...

I need to move somewhere so I can ride year round... I'd probably have a dozen bikes by now if I did...
I have the SV... but oddly enough I am thinking of picking up a late 80's or early 90's Intruder for the times I want to sit back and ride hours of highway... I've liked the look of those Intruders since I first saw one in 1988 and first rode one in 95...

If crashing into a car that turned in front of me at an intersection didn't break my addiction... I don't know what will

·
Registered
92 Posts
Why did I buy a bike?

I didn't have a choice. I have been on the back since I can remember and its about time I learned the thrill of grabbing the throttle.

And I would miss Zuki during riding season... ha!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts