Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I'll bite: Specialty item within a small market. Usually only racers and serious riders (or serious spenders) with sport bikes have the desire or need for custom/aftermarket rearsets. This group, within a small segment of the already small motorcycle parts market, represents merely a fraction of the total purchasers needed to make volume production, distribution, and sales feasible with a low mark-up product. In short, the effects of demand on supply...

BTW, I agree with you: Not only on the price of rearsets in particular, but the cost of parts, both OEM and aftermarket, in general...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
400 - 600 dollars???  For engineering hours, materials costs, and testing?  

The loading on those things really isn't all that complex.....so I'm not too convinced as far as engineering goes.  Die casting isn't cheap....but its nowhere near 600 dollars.

What the hell are these things made of?  

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
+1 for Six Chin.

when I first got into motorcycles and performance mods (when I was 16 y/o) my Dad told me the only thing more expensive than mod'ing bikes was aircraft.

Motorcycles are a luxury, performance parts are a luxury for them... so basically you're looking at a luxury item for a luxury item. Just look at lower fairings, they're about the same size and construction as would be put into a $10 trash can but try to find a set of $10 lowers. Jack up plates are cheap.

PS. I might have a set of gen1 Vortex rear sets for sale (they're supposedly alreayd sold though ;) ).

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
The same question has rolled through my mind on more than a number of occassions. Then just now I had a thought...my father is a mold maker and given some specs I am sure he could come up with something. At one time he was ranked one of the top 10 mold makers in America. He made the molds for Matchbox cars, Barbie dolls, the original Mickey Mouse telephone (his idea and design), on and on. If someone can give me some specs or what they would like to see I can see what he can design and possibly make a small number of.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Harsh said:
The same question has rolled through my mind on more than a number of occassions.  Then just now I had a thought...my father is a mold maker and given some specs I am sure he could come up with something.  At one time he was ranked one of the top 10 mold makers in America.  He made the molds for Matchbox cars, Barbie dolls, the original Mickey Mouse telephone (his idea and design), on and on.  If someone can give me some specs or what they would like to see I can see what he can design and possibly make a small number of.
Shit..lets design a set of our own rearsets. That would be sweet we could put a order together on here. I have wondered this cost question too. Fortunately I didnt cross over like many a-holes out there and go steal someone elses. Do you think your dad made the Speedracer Matchbox I had in the 70s?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Cast/Molded rearsets won't hold up in a crash -- as i'm sure many of you can testify, you need the strength of machined billet/aircraft grade aluminum.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
He can do cast or machine them from solid stock. I am telling you the guy has skills. If he can machine out the stock to make the molds I am sure he can machine out these. Funny I am volunteering his services and I haven't even discussed it with him. None the less it is still something I am going to talk to him about and the more info I have the better I can make my case.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
simple economics you want them and they have them so if you want them you gotta pay up sucka

·
Registered
71 Posts
Harsh said:
He can do cast or machine them from solid stock. I am telling you the guy has skills. If he can machine out the stock to make the molds I am sure he can machine out these. Funny I am volunteering his services and I haven't even discussed it with him. None the less it is still something I am going to talk to him about and the more info I have the better I can make my case.
You should talk to him about getting into aftermarket bodyparts for motorcycles. Once you get the mold made you can crank those puppies out and turn 90% profit off of them. Just look at the cost of sharkskinz and the like.

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
OKcommuter said:
You should talk to him about getting into aftermarket bodyparts for motorcycles.  Once you get the mold made you can crank those puppies out and turn 90% profit off of them.  Just look at the cost of sharkskinz and the like.
with cost involved in building the mold you'd never come close to a profit, not to mention materials and a machine (it would have to be pretty big) to run it in, i can send an iges file for a design i have for rearsets foir a first gen (1" up and back from a "s" model) Pm me with an email address if you want the file

milling them on a cnc rig is the way to go, just pay for material and cutting tools

just to put things into perspective tool shop time is at least $40 an hour, some are even higher,

harsh, where are you located??

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have done lots of research on making rearsets and have come up with a few different designs and cnc programs to make them. The biggest part for making rearsets is to make them cost effective and  you need to make a whole bunch of them for it to be even cost effective enough to sell them. Also one set of rearsets is minimum of 9 different parts including pedals. You will need to make two different plates left and right, foot pegs, shift lever arm, shift lever toe piece, brake pedal arm, brake pedal, shift rod to the correct lenth....

If you were to set up a cnc machine to make runs of 20 minimum of each part depending on size of stock you may be able to make it work cheap enough.

Take into consideration machine time costs but also someone needs to set up the machine and program it and that costs money too......

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
blkvwgolf said:
I have done lots of research on making rearsets and have come up with a few different designs and cnc programs to make them. The biggest part for making rearsets is to make them cost effective and  you need to make a whole bunch of them for it to be even cost effective enough to sell them. Also one set of rearsets is minimum of 9 different parts including pedals. You will need to make two different plates left and right, foot pegs, shift lever arm, shift lever toe piece, brake pedal arm, brake pedal, shift rod to the correct lenth....

If you were to set up a cnc machine to make runs of 20 minimum of each part depending on size of stock you may be able to make it work cheap enough.

Take into consideration machine time costs but also someone needs to set up the machine and program it and that costs money too......
if you take something to a machineshop to make you get quoted a price, everything is included in the price, design is another matter, but if you have an electronic file it's pretty straight forward

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Most rearsets are in the range of around $300-$400---not $600 unless you're talking some ultra high-end waste of money. I got my Vortex adjustable rearsets for $280. More than reasonable for that you get. These things are so far above stock in terms of quality and feel that I can completely see the value in them.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
I am in Norfolk, VA, but my Dad lives in SOCAL. He is the machine shop foreman where he works and trust me the CNC machines he works with are massive pieces of equipment that are all computer controlled for extreme accuracy. He is in Chicago right now on a business trip (his company is international), but when he gets back next week I will give him a call. Jim you have a PM on the way.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
606 Posts
Novadesigns said:
Most rearsets are in the range of around $300-$400---not $600 unless you're talking some ultra high-end waste of money. I got my Vortex adjustable rearsets for $280. More than reasonable for that you get. These things are so far above stock in terms of quality and feel that I can completely see the value in them.
Good rearsets are worth the cost!

·
Registered
241 Posts
DucOwner said:
Good rearsets are worth the cost!
+1
I love my vortex rearsets! The fact that there's no extra rubber padding between your boot and the peg gives a very nice feel and feedback. Can't beat the adjustability too!

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
Harsh said:
I am in Norfolk, VA, but my Dad lives in SOCAL.  He is the machine shop foreman where he works and trust me the CNC machines he works with are massive pieces of equipment that are all computer controlled for extreme accuracy.  He is in Chicago right now on a business trip (his company is international), but when he gets back next week I will give him a call.  Jim you have a PM on the way.
when i get home i'll send them, do you have a first gen or a second??

1 - 20 of 32 Posts