Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
7,354 Posts
I don’t know where those forks bottom out mechanically. Unlikely to be at the bottom triple. Until you know that, hard to say if too much or too little. I think on street (even on track) you wouldn’t want suspension to reach limits under “normal” conditions. Need room for more extreme scenarios like major dips and super hard braking.

I don’t think accurate internet assessment is possible.
It would be far easier to know rider weight, appropriate spring rate, and sag is set properly than to guess if all the travel is being used.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
It would be far easier to know rider weight, appropriate spring rate, and sag is set properly than to guess if all the travel is being used.
That makes sense, not thinking.
Weight full gear is 185 lbs. I have OMNI x.925 kg/mm springs,
AR-25 Axxion Damper Rod, 20wt oil. Static sag is 20mm, with full gear (on then off the bike) 23mm of rider sag.
Road today, it feels good, some hard braking, todays picture
20210106_140941.jpg

·
Registered
7,354 Posts
According to the spring recommender on SonicSprings.com, .925 is too stiff for your weight. .85 would be better. That said, I do know some fast guys who are using springs much stiffer than recommended.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
According to the spring recommender on SonicSprings.com, .925 is too stiff for your weight. .85 would be better. That said, I do know some fast guys who are using springs much stiffer than recommended.
Yes, should of went with the .85.
Was focusing on my front end feel today, two hour ride, I like it, its working for me. I'm looking elsewhere to solve my descending issues. Working on modifying my seat using close cell foam strapped up against the tank, slightly tapering to where I want to be on the bike. Hoping this will help keep me from sliding forward on the tank and loosing self confidence. I'm seeking instruction also.

·
MOTORADOR
10,865 Posts
Here's a great article about the importance of using your brakes instead of engine-braking before a corner:

Also, my own musings on the subject from a few years ago, before I dedicated myself to Motorcycle Safety as an actual job:

41 - 46 of 46 Posts