Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before some of the member on the forum ream me... yes I tried the search function with no results...

I'm not very satisfied with the lighting on my naked 07, I found some threads reguarding different bulbs. But what a bout a HID conversion. Whose done it? how? and with what results?

thanks guys

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
I have, but only with the S model headlights (and euro at that). You can't search for HID unfortunately, it's too short- try "ballast", that should give some better hits. Or "Daniel Stern", because every time anyone who's fitted a HID kit posts about how well it works, some cretin posts a link to Daniel Stern saying that it doesn't.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
i agree with northwind. I think if you go this route you should be sure to get "projectors" the plug and play are really bad for oncoming drivers. I have used both styles in my cars over the years and one of my winter projects is to make projectors work in my factory "s" housings.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have experience with HIDs in cars...I really don't see much difference with bikes other than dealing with placement of the ballast(s) and wiring (actually i don't see any difference at all...)

It's actually seems pretty darn easy. There are good plug and play HIDs that just plug into your headlight jack because all the circuit system is integrated within the ballast.

Not to promote anything, but check out retro-solutions.com. They have really good HID kits. Of course you might have to work something out with Todd over there because they sell in pairs...lol maybe you can find someone else who wants to do it too and y'all can split the price or something

Oh yeah if you get HIDs anywhere else, make sure you get D2R type bulbs, not D2S. The difference is D2Ss are for projectors only. The second thing to make sure is that the connectors are for H4 bulbs (that's stock for SVs right?), that way it you don't have to cut/solder/splice any wires.

Then cleverly hide the 2"x3" ballast somewhere.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
i agree with northwind. I think if you go this route you should be sure to get "projectors" the plug and play are really bad for oncoming drivers.
Not in mine- it's inefficient but not at all glaring. But the UK spec headlight isn't the same as the US one so that might not apply. This is one of those things which you need to approach with caution because different people have different standards, and are varyingly susceptible to Modder's Disease.

·
Banned
3,813 Posts
I have... off a BMW 7-Series... I am still working on how to cover the projector. Originally I wanted to install it inside the stock headlamp housing but the projector was too long and would have hit the frame behind it...

You will need the proyector, the ballast and the ignighter. You will need to fabricate a custom bracket.

The lighting output is great!!! about 3 times as much... And, it has high / low switch built in the projector. However when you lean the bike over you still can not see where you are going... you cannot fix it otherwise you will blind everyone including yourself... When your headlight hits the freeway sings it will blind you.

Luis

·
Registered
389 Posts
thanks all... I found a link that sells moto HID for $250... I'm thinkin of takeing this route..

http://www.xtralights.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=10
That is a huge ripoff. I've done many, many HID retrofits in cars. Most aftermarket ballasts are generally the same quality, no matter the price. Some get lucky and they last, others die in a few months. I suggest getting an OEM kit from one of the manufacturers that automakers use (Hella, Matsushita, Bosch). I've never spent more that $160 on an OEM kit including bulbs, and that's a full pair, not just one for $250. If you really wanna stick to the aftermarket kits, which are plug and play and very easy to install, I know of a place where you can get a full set of ballasts and bulbs for ~$75, so find a friend and then you can split it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
thanks all... I found a link that sells moto HID for $250... I'm thinkin of takeing this route..

http://www.xtralights.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=10
that is a total ripoff.

i would not recommend these "plug and play" hid kits. first off, the quality of the equipment is terrible. i had to make a few warranty claims on an HID kit i had installed in my noob car modding days.

do not put HID capsules in headlight housings that were made for halogen bulbs. there is too much glare for oncoming drivers, and often you are actually reducing your actual light ouput on the road.

if you want to do this correctly, you need to do a full on projector retrofit. i did this over the summer in my WRX headlights. its alot of work, and you need to be pretty handy to do it. it also cost about 450 in parts. heres a link to my project. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1482552

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
do not put HID capsules in headlight housings that were made for halogen bulbs. there is too much glare for oncoming drivers, and often you are actually reducing your actual light ouput on the road. if you want to do this correctly, you need to do a full on projector retrofit.
Do it in an SV then come back to this thread- you can't compare generalities and specifics, it makes no sense- and you're going further and putting your generalities and experience with totally different parts, over people's direct experience with these specific parts.

Go on, someone link Daniel Stern's website, I dares ya.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm getting closer and closer to pulling the trigger on a kit from xenonrider. I have HIDs on my car stock and cannot stand the look of halogens anymore because of it. Just make sure you properly aim your headlights or else you'll be blinding everyone.

·
Registered
90 Posts
You can check this place too www.xenondepot.com They are a sponsoiring vendor over at Club Lexus (Lexus vehicle owners club). I purchased a set from them recently for my wife's GX470 SUV (they make motorcycle kits as well). I was very happy with the pricing and ease of installation in the SUV, but then again- there are a more than a few guys who had done it before and thouroughly documented the install with pictures and great step by step instructions. BUt agree it shouldn't be too difficult, but would get pricey on the 2 headlight model SVs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Johnny... I like that kit better that any other one I have seen, they provide you with 6 feet of cable so that you can mount the ballast were you see fit...

·
Registered
683 Posts
+1 on xenondepot. Quality parts and excellent customer service. They are a supporting vendor on another site I frequent.

·
The Well-Leathered Mod
4,614 Posts
Im resurrecting this thread instead of creating a new one.
It appears my 3ft extension leads allowing me to put the ballasts in the tail is not going to work.
Can anyone recommend where to place 2 ballasts on a 1st gen naked that wont situate the ignitor boxes where they get in the way of the forks at full lock?
Do i need to install a project box below my headlights?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Im resurrecting this thread instead of creating a new one.
It appears my 3ft extension leads allowing me to put the ballasts in the tail is not going to work.
Can anyone recommend where to place 2 ballasts on a 1st gen naked that wont situate the ignitor boxes where they get in the way of the forks at full lock?
Do i need to install a project box below my headlights?
I used to have them velcroed to the inside of my upper fairing when I had my SV. Hiding them behind the housing is kind of difficult on a naked though. The tail is definitely the best place to put them if you can fit them back there. I've seen then bolted to the back of the headlight housing on a naked before though.

·
The Well-Leathered Mod
4,614 Posts
I used to have them velcroed to the inside of my upper fairing when I had my SV. Hiding them behind the housing is kind of difficult on a naked though. The tail is definitely the best place to put them if you can fit them back there. I've seen then bolted to the back of the headlight housing on a naked before though.
Putting them in the tail section isnt working for me.
It could just be the leads I bought (3ft HID Extension leads off ebay), but they cant fire the bulbs.
Maybe if they were a heavier gauge wire or something, but as is, no luck.

I've got dual dominators, so I cant attach them to the back of the headlight.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.