Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a story from my local paper. The short of it is that a woman was critically injured after being hit by a motorcycle. She was hit while standing in the middle of the road waving a pitchfork at the bikers because the group was riding too fast on her street.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ssf?/base/news-1/1124721989297030.xml&coll=6

My question is this: Who's to blame for the woman getting injured? Blame the bikers for riding too fast and speeding or blame the woman who was in the road? I think it's rediculous that she was in the road and you can't really blame the motorcyclists but I could see an argument going both ways. What do you think?

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
regardless of why the woman was standing in the road, she was a pedestrian. everywhere I have ridden, pedestrians have the right of way. and hitting a pedestrian is big time violation/crime

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
RandyO said:
regardless of why the woman was standing in the road, she was a pedestrian. everywhere I have ridden, pedestrians have the right of way. and hitting a pedestrian is big time violation/crime
Same here, its become a national standard or something. The intentions were good but of course where theres power theres corruption...so you got them suicidal pedestrians.

I'm sure the bikers will be at fault, for a few reasons, number one, the reason stated above about pedestrians and their right of ways, number two, they were speeding, number three, bikers just have a bad image these days and that sure won't help the case.

But what do I THINK? Stupid pedestrian trying to take the law into their own hands, but thats only what I think.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Bull crap vigilante justice idiot in the middle of the road got what they deserved. I had some old guy try to kick my car once when I went by because he didn't like it - great thinking there, I'm sure the 16x7's with open spokes would have done his foot a beautiful pedicure if he'd timed it right.

She should've just called the cops or something, goodness knows that works (seriously, it does). You've got no right to be in the middle of the road TRYING to impede people, much less waving a pitchfork. Reminds me more of the dingus over in England that set up the choke wire than it does of pedestrian laws.

·
Registered
81 Posts
It doesn't really provide enough information.
The report doesn't say the bikers were speeding.. just that she wanted to slow them down.
And how long had she been in the middle of the road?
If she was standing there as they approached, then the guy should have avoided her and he's at fault.
But what if she ran out just a few meres in front of him? Not much he can do if some crazy woman jumps out in front of hs bike...
especiall if he has other bikes on either side

·
Registered
703 Posts
LordKyl said:
EDIT - google search turns up more...

http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=3750771&nav=0RcedbNL

Looks like the cops say it was her fault.
It's too bad things turned out the way they did with the injuries to both parties, but at least the rider isn't being charged. Looking at the photos in the second article makes me wonder if this is really a case of someone with too much time on their hands. They live in a very rural area (doesn't look like there's any neighbors nearby) and they have a huge amount of stand-off distance between the house and road. I could understand her protesting if they lived in suburbia where the houses and yards with kids playing were closer to road and lives were more in danger. But where she lives? Combine those observations with a pitch-fork and I'm gonna say medicare doesn't pay enough to cover her meds. :-\

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
the other day i saw a guy getting ready to run across a devided 4 lane highway. if he got hit, i doubt it would have been the fault of the driver. there's a difference between a pedestrian and a woman standing out in the middle of the road with a weapon (pitchfork).

it's not her job to enforce the speed limit. if the bikers were speeding, she sould have called the police to file a complaint and get them to come patrol the street.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Ben Larsen (the husband of the lady who was hit) says it all happened so fast. He says they were angry about all the cars and bikes speeding on Gun Lake Road in front of their house. So they ran to the street to yell at the drivers. Though police say it doesn't appear the bikers were actually speeding.
This is my favorite part.  They were angry, so they went to the street to yell at the drivers.  Yeah, that would probably work.   ::)

·
OberKommandant
6,127 Posts
Sounds like natural selection at work, too bad she had already passed on her DNA.

·
Registered
248 Posts
In KY, if the pedestrian is not in the crosswalk (and crosswalks are assumed at all intersections whether the paint exists or not) it is not the vehicle operator's fault. Happens at least once a year at UK here in town.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I don't consider her a pedestrian...shes in the middle of the road with a pitch fork that can do a lot of dmg to me and my bike...she shoulda just called the police instead of trying to stop the motorcycles...I mean if there was a bunch of loud mustangs speeding down the road, is she gonna get in the middle of the road with a weapon and try to stop them??? If she didn't have the pitchfork in her hand, then I'd side with her on this one...but she should've handled things a little differently.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Like it or not, in the eyes of the law, the motorcyclist is at fault. Pedestrians (pitchfork wielding or not) ALWAYS have the right of way.

·
Registered
498 Posts
tonyjuliano said:
Like it or not, in the eyes of the law, the motorcyclist is at fault. Pedestrians (pitchfork wielding or not) ALWAYS have the right of way.
Obviously not... she was charged :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
tonyjuliano said:
yea, that's bS. 2 words here:

Dumb B**ch!

If I wanted to commit suicide (I would never), but if I did and ran in front of a dump truck on 95 South, your gonna say the dump truck was at fault? Give me a break. The stupid bit*h ran in the road with a pitch fork for christ sakes just to yell at bikers and unfortunately, the dumb bi*ch got hit. You can't do that! I hate people in my condo parking lot playing loud music and fixing their cars, but that doesn't give me the right to go down there and kick their ass's. :-X

·
Registered
61 Posts
The situation is not surprising to me at all.  Let me tell you about my experience with crazy people.....

A frew riding buddies and I were on this back-road, waaay out in the middle of nowhere (cow country, lol).  If anyone knows where Duvall/Carnation is washington state then they'd understand.  Anyway, there is this stretch of road between two giant fields. It's about 1 mile long, perfectly straight, visibility is 100% open from end to end, since it's just low-lying fields all around.  We were using this stretch of road to 'mess around', i.e. speed, wheelie, stoppie, etc.  Yes, I know I'll get flamed for that, but, considering there were no houses around and basically no traffic it was safer and what we thought, not easy to upset houses with bike noise, so we used it to 'play'.  Actually at one point some farmers walked across their field and came to watch and were cheering us on.  

So, we were messing around on this road for about 15 minutes, one of my friends is coming down the road showing off (speeding) when we see this SUV come around the corner from the opposite direction.  Obviously my friend slows down to the speed limit while there's a car on the road, but guess what the SUV does?  She turns INTO the oncoming traffic lane attempting to hit (?) or force my friend to stop/swerve in his lane.  Yes, she turned into his lane and would have run directly into him if he hadn't swerved in time.  He wasn't speeding at the point from when she turned onto that stretch of road.  

So, this lady in her SUV stops, blocking both lanes, starts yelling at us (swearing, etc), telling us to get out of here.  I guess it turns out she lived on a hill nearby and could hear (see?) us so she brings her SUV down to try and kill one of us?  She also threatened to have her husband come down with his shotgun and make us leave the road.  

What bothered me the most about that, is instead of calling the cops she brings her giant SUV to come 'stop us' by forcing it into the oncoming lane while a biker is coming directly at her.  Do you think she would have done that if we were all driving cars?  Probably not, but since her SUV is much bigger and deadlier than our bikes, she decided to bring that.  The best part about this is that we have it all on film (I was standing with a few friends on the side of the road filming it).  

There really should be a place to do stunts for bikes.  Streets are obviously not a good choice, but around here parking lots (even private ones) are apparently illegal too and the cops will ticket you.  So where do you go to stunt?  

Another short ironic story. At RMC (Renton Motorcycle) on Tuesday nights use to be 'bike night'.  Hundreds of bikers would gather in the parking lot after store hours and 'show off' their bikes.  There was a long strip that people would use to stunt, some of the guys (and girls!) were really good.   Then one Tuesday night about 6 cops were down there early handing out pamphlets that had a picture of a sportbike with notes on it saying 'aftermarket lights and parts are illegal' 'stunting is illegal' etc etc.  So, hundreds of bikers, no place to stunt.  So, what do you think happens?  Yep, you guessed it!  Instead of a nice controlled area for bikers to show off and stunt, all of these bikers can't do that, so instead they head out to do it on the streets!  Yay, good job cops!  You just unleashed over a hundred bikes onto the street to stunt in traffic rather than in a controlled area with no cars or pedestrians.  

You know, now that I think about it.  If the cops really just wanted all stunting and speeding to stop they shouldn't hassle the bikers, they should hassle the manufacturers of bikes forcing limiters or whatever.  All they really want to do is make a few $$ by giving out tickets and also allow bikes to be on the road to collect more taxes!  Yay!  lol  Cops and laws don't mix.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well.... I think the woman got what she deserved. She went looking for trouble and trouble found her. However, the biker is probably still at fault because she technically would be classified as a pedestrian. But considering the fact that she was intentionally standing in the road and threatening bikers with a pitch fork, hopefully the judge would cut the biker a little slack. It's unclear whether he intentionally tried to run her down or if she put herself in a position where he had no choice but to hit her.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Landshark said:
So, this lady in her SUV stops, blocking both lanes, starts yelling at us (swearing, etc), telling us to get out of here. I guess it turns out she lived on a hill nearby and could hear (see?) us so she brings her SUV down to try and kill one of us? She also threatened to have her husband come down with his shotgun and make us leave the road.
I know this won't give motorcyclists a good name but....Nobody reached in, took her keys and threw them into the field? Or at least just take them and hold onto them so she wouldn't be able to attempt to run you guys over a second time.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Abe Froman said:
I know this won't give motorcyclists a good name but....Nobody reached in, took her keys and threw them into the field? Or at least just take them and hold onto them so she wouldn't be able to attempt to run you guys over a second time.
Of course pull them out and don't forget to lock the steering wheel. we don't want her pulling off to the side of the road or anything :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts