Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the bike was running flawless this morning. Awesome. :thumbsup:

I go out into the field to help out the boss. As I'm stopped at a stoplight on the way home, I notice that I smell gas. ???

The whole way back to the office... "I wonder WTF this is now. Gas smell means fuel not being spent. But how is it so strong I smell it at a light? I don't smell it at speed, only when I'm stopped... so only at low idle."

The possibilities run through my head, the whole time I'm riding down I-64. Bike is still running great. I pull into our office parking lot, look down, and gas is POURING out from under the tank and all over the engine and head pipe. Smoke begins.

I run inside asking for a fire extinguisher. Nobody says a f-cking WORD. "A fire extinguisher! Does anyone know if we have a fire extinguisher!?"

Again nothing.

By now, the bike has stopped smoking, and the fuel leak seems to have stopped. Without any tools, I can't track down where the leak could be.

Oh, and someone complained that they smelled gas in the office, and demanded I put my gear outside. So f-cking sorry. :jerkbag:

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
How old is the bike?

I can't imagine that it would be so old that hose deterioration would be a problem. I would look for a hose that slipped off or a rubbed spot.

Don't let it get you down, you'll get it fixed.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Check the area around the fuel pump. Theres a seal between it and the tank I believe. Why it wasn't leaking at speed and then at a dead stop is beyond me. I would say a fuel line but you might have had some problems with acceleration.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
Check for the leak- I'd suspect a cracked fuel line, and once pressurized its sprayin fuel....

Other than the fuel leak, the bike didnt act up or have any of the previous problems?

·
OberKommandant
6,127 Posts
So fuel leak fixed your other problems? I'd keep the leak. :D

Seriously though, I 'd suspect a leaking fuel line also. You wouldn't likely smell it at speed because the wind would be blowing the fumes behind you.

I doubt you want to ride it but if you want to bring it by, we can have a look.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Another thing too, the vent hoses on the 2nd gen, there's 2 of them that join at a "T" along with a breather/vent hose from the coolant resovoir. One of the fuel vent hoses might have come loose.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I'm guessing a loose or cracked hose. It hopefully shouldn't be too hard to find if you can scrounge for a hex key and lift the tank.

·
OberKommandant
6,127 Posts
Any chance some @ssclown messed with it and pulled a line off somewhere?

·
Registered
364 Posts
You ever figure out what was wrong with the bike

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Check for the leak- I'd suspect a cracked fuel line, and once pressurized its sprayin fuel....

Other than the fuel leak, the bike didnt act up or have any of the previous problems?
Bike was running great this morning. Not even dying at low idle like it has been.

So fuel leak fixed your other problems? I'd keep the leak. :D

Seriously though, I 'd suspect a leaking fuel line also. You wouldn't likely smell it at speed because the wind would be blowing the fumes behind you.

I doubt you want to ride it but if you want to bring it by, we can have a look.
Yeah, I figured I wouldn't be smelling it at speed. However, even my helmet smells like gas. :BangHead:

Another thing too, the vent hoses on the 2nd gen, there's 2 of them that join at a "T" along with a breather/vent hose from the coolant resovoir. One of the fuel vent hoses might have come loose.
Checked those, and they're fine.

I'm guessing a loose or cracked hose. It hopefully shouldn't be too hard to find if you can scrounge for a hex key and lift the tank.
Nobody at work has tools. I've asked around. The only guy that would (Guy with the BMW), isn't here.

Any chance some @ssclown messed with it and pulled a line off somewhere?
Doubtfull.

A little off topic, but you know that there's a tool kit in the bike, right? ;)
Not in my bike. Toll kit has been removed due to the resevoir on the shock.

You ever figure out what was wrong with the bike
No.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
last week, I ran a couple short errands, when I stopped at post offfice I smelled gas wicked, and there was still freash gas dippin down the side of the engine on my V-strom, by the time I got home, it was dried up and can't find a reason

now I'm thinking temperature change caused some gas to get puked out of the tank and out the overflow

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts
Yeah, I figured I wouldn't be smelling it at speed. However, even my helmet smells like gas. :BangHead:
Yow!

Does the SV650 have a return line? If it did, I'd suggest looking there for a leak - a leak there wouldn't affect how the bike runs.

BTW - did you manage to locate the fire extinguisher once things calmed down?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.