Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I decided to go with a top case I thought I’d be taking off the case most of the time. Now that I have been riding with the case I’ve realized it’s so darn convenient that I ride with my top case 95% of the time. I get **** from so many people on how bad it looks, and most sports bike people that I’ve seen that do have luggage use a tank bad and/or side bags and only use a top case as a final resort.

Personally the side cases get in the way of me getting on and off the bike and I hate having the tank tag in front of me. The top case is so big I can pack large items inside it and I usually pack my backpack, then just put it in the case to keep the weight off my back. One day I went grocery shopping and between my backpack, my cargo pants, and the top case I brought home $133 of groceries. I was taking things out of boxes and constantly reshuffling items to make them fit better; it was like 3-D Tetris. People in the parking lot at the grocery store were all watching me pack the bike, it was hilarious.

While I can feel the weight way out in back effect handling, I’ll taken a detour coming home from work and gone on some twisty back roads at very illegal paces with the hard case loaded up and been fine. How many of use just a top case as your primary storage?

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
+1

It's a rare day that I take mine off. I figure the weight is not much different than if I put on 50 lbs of fat. The difference between your friends who scoff at appearance and anyone who understands the usefulness is a fundamental debate about form vs. function. You'll never make any headway on that one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Took the idea from this site and installed one 30 litres GIVI case on a spare pillion seat. Looks really nice on the bike, enough space for one helmet and gloves. Really practical, on my way home from work I can do some small shopping and I am amazed how many things I can fit in there. It is on the bike almost all the time. I still have the original seat but I'm not really using it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have mine on all the time for the same reasons you gave. I leave my side ones off cause I hate kicking em getting on and off too. The looks don't matter to me but I get the "dorky look" comments from friends too. Those same friends always ask me to leave their stuff in my case on rides though. I only take the top case off if I gotta buy a bag of dog food.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've got a GIVI E45 and it's nice and big, too big sometimes. Lately I've been using this Fast Pack: http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127968
(not my thread)

The Fast Pack is big enough to bring my lunch and some odd ends.
That's what I want one for, but where can I find one, I'm in the UK but don't mind paying postage.

On a side note; What on earth is that in your profile picture?

·
Registered
381 Posts
That's what I want one for, but where can I find one, I'm in the UK but don't mind paying postage.

Looks like a seal penis?

I have been thinking about getting a top case to replace my backpack, but for now all I use it for is commuting to work so I don't think it's necessary just yet. Plus I need to carry my laptop with me...if I need anything that can't fit into a backpack, or that I don't want to put in my backpack (who wants shaken beer) I just grab my girlfriends car.

·
Registered
331 Posts

Motorcycle-Superstore.com and http://www.motorcyclegear.com/ both sell it. Not sure how shipping overseas is though.

Or directly from the guys who make it, and they say they'll ship overseas: http://www.thecycleguys.com/shipping-returns/

And yes it's a seal "pen is". I thought it was sort of hilarious when I stumbled on it online.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Took the idea from this site and installed one 30 litres GIVI case on a spare pillion seat. Looks really nice on the bike, enough space for one helmet and gloves. Really practical, on my way home from work I can do some small shopping and I am amazed how many things I can fit in there. It is on the bike almost all the time. I still have the original seat but I'm not really using it.
hi, care to share the idea?

thks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sure, no problem. I will take some pictures of it in this afternoon, after work and add all the explanations with the steps that I did.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Someone riddle me this: when I was looking at top case vs. saddlebags, the top cases all said like 6lb max storage. A gallon of milk is approx 8 lbs. Are they able to hold more than what the "recommended weight" is without issue?

·
Premium Member
3,229 Posts
I got an E45 for 100$ on CL a few months back. I built a rack for it for ~20$ and haven't turned back since. I got some grief for the looks of it from some coworkers. I couldn't care less about other's opinions so long as I can carry 36 cans of delicious frosty brewed refreshment to the house :buddies:. They never seem to complain then. :) Main reason I got the case was the fact that stopping on the side of the road to put rain covers on my soft luggage sucked.

·
Registered
60 Posts
One big reason I am replacing an Aprilia RSVR with SV1000S is the ability to carry a hard top case. To me, as nice as the priller is, not being able to mount a top case limits its street bike usefulness to a point of not worth keeping it.

I am getting the SW Motech top rack. I had one on my Sprint ST and really like it. Top case will be my Bestem 929, which is identical to Givi E460, but you can get it for $89 at Amazon:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Bestem-T-Box-TBOX-929-BLK-Motorcycle-Scooter/dp/B001O77CMW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348694331&sr=8-1&keywords=bestem[/ame]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts