Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had Pilot Powers on my 03 SVS and I loved them. I never did any trackdays on the tires but I thought they had a great profile (perfect tip-in feel for me). I thrashed them at the dragon a few times and they rocked.

I currently have Dunlop Qualifiers on my 05 (came on the bike when I bought it). Not nearly as impressed. I've ran 2 trackdays with them and they've held up well but I don't like the profile nor the feedback as well as the PP's.

I am planning about 3-5 trackdays this season as well as a ~1,500 mile roundtrip to Laguna Seca for MotoGP this year. Probably another 1,000 miles tooling around in general as well.

My original plan was to get some Pilot Power 2CT's but I'm questioning if they would last me the season. Really I would like the tires to last me a season and a half. Has anyone ridden the road 2CT's? Are they at all track-worthy and even semi-comparable to the pilot powers?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Great info.

After putting street miles on the road 2's and track miles on the PP 2CT would you personally consider riding the the road 2's on the track or do you think the PP's just kill the roads as far as ultimate grip, feedback, and tire profile is concerned??

Thanks again mate!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not super fast track rider either - I've only done 2 events. I just got moved from beginner to intermediate run group with NESBA at the end of my 2nd event last season.

Any idea if the outer compound of the road 2 is comparable to the PP center compound?

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Any idea if the outer compound of the road 2 is comparable to the PP center compound?
The official answer from Michelin to a Mail of a member of svrider.de regarding that topic stated that "the side rubber compound of the Pilot Road 2 CT is slightly harder than the compound of the Pilot Power" - not very exact, but you get the idea.

Besides that, I rode the SV-N of my wife with Pilot Powers and Pilot Roads (not Road 2) two/three years ago and didn´t fint THAT much difference (on the street, that is). The roads were 110 and 150 in width, though. They thus handled a bit easier than the SV stock sizes, so comparability is not the best, unfortunately.
On my own machine I went to the Sachsenring with original Pilot Roads and they held up reasonably well for 3 20-Minute turns.

Now I have the Pilot Road 2 on my machine and am quite happy with them. But I can only make a cross-comparision over the years, as I stated I rode the Pilot Powers over two years ago. I would say that the PR2 has a faster turn-in than the original PR, coming closer to the Pilot Power in this regard (the tire cross-sections are also more similar).

Conclusion: I think that the PR2 will be able to support your plans.

Ciao
Jan

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
The front tire will last you the entire season, the rear depends on how hard you are running. I run PP 2ct's and will continue to run them, they are the best tire out there!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The official answer from Michelin to a Mail of a member of svrider.de regarding that topic stated that "the side rubber compound of the Pilot Road 2 CT is slightly harder than the compound of the Pilot Power" - not very exact, but you get the idea.
Vielen dank! Woher in Deutschland wohnst du? Vor 4 jahre war ich in Esslingen Studiern (ca halb stunde von Stuttgart).

Anyways this is some good info. I've made the choice to go with the Power 2CT's this time around. I know I'll be kicking myself in the ass if I don't. The road 2's would probably work for me but I'm dying to try the Powers. You only live once right?

Maybe the road 2's next time if I get shite mileage :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Vielen dank! Woher in Deutschland wohnst du? Vor 4 jahre war ich in Esslingen Studiern (ca halb stunde von Stuttgart).
Ich wohne in Dresden, das ist ziemlich weit von Esslingen entfernt. :)
What did you study there?

Have fun with the new tires and always remember that they can´t break the laws of physics. :)

Ciao
Jan, 8000 km and counting with the PR2

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ich habe maschinenbau mit Schwerpunkt fahrzeugtechnik studiert. Wow, that's pretty hard typing that I can do a lot better job saying it :)

Based on my studies, hopefully I can tame the laws of physics!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Ich habe maschinenbau mit Schwerpunkt fahrzeugtechnik studiert. Wow, that's pretty hard typing that I can do a lot better job saying it :)

Based on my studies, hopefully I can tame the laws of physics!
I understood your converstion until here :(
My six semesters of german did nothing:mad:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I'm doing the dual compounds now, and after 2000 miles they are showing almost no wear. Got about 7000 miles off the pilot powers

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I understood your converstion until here :(
My six semesters of german did nothing:mad:
Yea that's a tough one (although all technical german is pretty **** hard to learn!). I was saying I studied mechanical engineering with an emphasis on automotive engineering. :)

·
Registered
805 Posts
Has anyone done any research as to who has the best price for Pilot Powers? Looking at 2CTs as well.

7K miles would be sweet.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got them mounted up last night. Props to sportbiketrackgear.com fast shipping and the tires actually come in a box!

First ride on them should be tomorrow (rainy today).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts