Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I know it has been discussed before. that is why I bought a GSXR1000 titanium can off of ebay. However when I went to cut the exhaust on my 08 nekid I was looking at it and it appeared the GSXR can would stick out way to far to the side. MojoH found this pic for me on here
http://forum.svrider.com/photoalbum/displayimage.php?pos=-1658

That looks like exactly what I would like to do to my bike. The only thing is I want to cut my midpipe to where once I get the cash flow I can still put a Scorpion Street Extreme on there without having to buy a new exhaust completely.

Any help is awesome.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
It's the same set up as the first gen. You're just gonna have to look, study, and cut.

And hopefully the neighbors won't hear your curses when you realized you cut in the wrong place.

Honestly, though, just cut off the SV can RIGHT WHERE IT MEETS THE HEADER. Then you can trim a bit at a time as you need to get the GSX-R can to fit properly.

Also, I "turned" the muffler into the bike a bit, so the hanger isn't straight up and down. It points in a bit, which kept the can from sticking too far out.

Original:

GSX-R:

Be forewarned: Sealing it is a b!tch. I have yet to figure out how to keep exhaust from seeping past. But then again, until recently, I haven't cared about how my bike looked, so I haven't put much effort into it. Now that I'm painting it and making it pretty, I have to figure out how to keep the swingarm and header from getting stained from exhaust gasses.

The swingarm I'll just paint with bedliner. The header I think I'll wrap with fiberglass.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you use any of the Ultra copper or whatever it is to seal it?
My main concern is whether i will have the same ground clearance along with I didn't want to cut the environmental crud off the GSXR can but I have a feeling I'm going to have to go get it to line up right.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Yeah, I used the Ultra copper shtuff, but didn't let it seal completely before riding. It seems to work well, but the can does wobble a bit, so I don't think it'll ever seal completely.

I'm impatient like that. I'm amazed that my paint is coming out so well despite that.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah that's my problem also. I just want to get it done and get it out. I guess i can always take it to a local exhaust shop and see how much they would charge to weld it up. I'm sure that would be a pretty penny.

·
Registered
827 Posts
there's been a lot of these craigslist-ad threads that don't....how do we say.....make the cut?

there's this one i saw i've seen for awhile now on CL, so i think it's prudent and relevant to this particular thread to unveil it now.

BAM!

****$4500 CANDY 03 SV650 WITH LOWERED FRONT END & JBSWEAR-ESQUE EXHAUST!!!!!!!*****

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcy/1083973027.html

;D

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Yeah that's my problem also. I just want to get it done and get it out. I guess i can always take it to a local exhaust shop and see how much they would charge to weld it up. I'm sure that would be a pretty penny.

You won't be able to unless they can weld in a vacuum chamber, or in a gas purged chamber.

Good luck coming up with the funds for that.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok. i guess i thought it was just standard exhaust pipe and that the can only was titanium. I just wish I could find who posted that pic on SVR and find out how they did it. JBswear you are saying to cut the factory pipe right next to the can until I can find the right length right? I just know most slip ons require 2 1/4 " after the weld so i don't want to go any shorter than that.
I would really like to achieve the look that the new GSXRs have where the exhaust dumps right behind the rearset. Just don't know how I would support it. Maybe i'll come up with a brilliant idea.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts