Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just tried installing a Tankslapper (www.thetankslapper.biz) and I got horrible results. I cleaned the tank well on a hot day (Texas weather, figures) and used a lot of water. But i still can't get the small bubbles out and there are ALOT of them. I read to use a hairdryer but I havn't tried it yet. Anyone have a fool proof way to install these?

Also, can I take them off and reinstall them? Because right now I'm a little fed up with trying to get this perfect and would rather finish it tomorrow morning when its bright out. Or if I take them off they won't be able to be reinstalled?

TIA

·
Registered
419 Posts
I found that partially peeling it off and re-applying it was the key to getting it right. I've used the product twice now. First on a KLR650 and later on a ZZR1200. My ZZR1200 came out almost perfect. You can barely tell it's there.

I learned to start at one end and work it down slowly with the squeegie as I went along, squarting additional water with a spray bottle as needed. If I missed even one air bubble I peeled it back far enough to get the bubble and then continued. Took me about fifteen or twenty minutes per tank pocket (side), once I got the hang of it.

Like I said, this was my second install. The first one I did (on the KLR) looks just like you describe. I'm not picky about my dual sport so I've never re-done it. Someday I will.

Randy

P

·
0 Posts
Had no problems with mine, goin' on 4 years now. (also applied in Texas summertime)

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
A little bit of soap

A single drop of soap, like dishwashing liquid, in a quart of water makes the application much smoother. A spray bottle with this solution will get the water to film on both the tank and the Tankslapper, making installation easier.

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
I used a lot of water that I sprayed on and a credit card to smooth the bubbles to the edges.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
huh? you mean tank pad or what. Last time i heard, tank slap is deadly to bikers.

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
lkm said:
huh? you mean tank pad or what. Last time i heard, tank slap is deadly to bikers.
tank slapper is the name of the company they made clear plastic sheets that cover the parts of your tank they get rubbed by your body when riding.

A tank slapper that you are talking about isn't fun, and often ends in a highside, but not always.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
what causes tank slappers? I noticed my sv doesn't have dampers while gixxers do.

·
Registered
836 Posts
lkm said:
what causes tank slappers? I noticed my sv doesn't have dampers while gixxers do.

Lots of things can...mechanical failure, midcorner bumps, or front end skids are the first things that come to mind.

While the SV could benefit from a damper, it's certainly not necessary to safe riding. Typically, the more powerful a bike is(thus a lighter front end under acceleration) and the more aggressive the geometry....the more need there is for a damper.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
alright redoing it and using a credit card tomorrow, I'll update when I finish.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I pretty much suck at doing that type of delicate work but managed to apply mine ok. Had a few tiny wrinkles here and there, but I had to point out the fact that there was a tank bra for people to notice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A really good wax job, i mean using s100 shine enhancing cleaner and then their wax, helps a ton. Ever actually look at the tankslapper stuff tho? I went to walmart and in the fabric department they have some stuff for 96 cents a square yard and it seems like practiacally the same stuff. I bought some and made my own custom cut outs and it works just as well. And when they get all nasty from everything rubbing them, like my tankbag straps, i just go cut another one, piece of cake. Wish i wouldve known that before i bought the 'special' tankslapper thing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts