Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I REALLY REALLY dont mean to beat a dead horse with this one, but it seemed lots of things changed lots of times. I really need the swap, but am having a ***** of a time FINDING the parts I THINK I need for sale.

Its make the gsxr swap happen or ditch the sv.

I've heard people say for an 07 get 03-05 gsxr frontend, other people saying 07gsxr+ will work but no steering lock.

I am hoping to get a "heres what I got on my bike, and everything works like stock" (steering lock etc).

I've wanted to do this for over a yr and a half, but never been able to get straight answers. Anyone want to help me find what I need? I'll kick down some cash! =)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here is what I did to my 06 N, don't know how much different the 07 is.
I used an 04/05 600/750 front end (Showa 43) on mine. Forks will bolt right on. I used a solid state magnetic hall effect sensor for the speedo drive and wired it into the stock speedo cable, you will need 8 magnets for the 06. Depending on which front wheel and rotors you get you may need spacers for the calipers as none radial rotors are larger diameter. Can't comment on clip ons as I'm running a naked which required custom bar, speedo and headlight mount. Stock master cylinder will work fine but have been told you get a bit more feel from the radial master. I also used the stock front brake hose for a week until the braided lines arrived. I completed the swap in a 2 day weekend including all the machine work for the bar, speedo and headlight mounts.
Parts I used: If I remember correctly
04/05 600/750 Showa 43mm front end, I changed the springs to .95 with 125mm of 7.5 weight
I think 02 1000 frt wheel w/ 310mm rotors
?? 1000 frt fender
Cherry Sensor, available from Digikey, Future Electronics etc.
Timken steering bearings
Braided lines for a SVn
SV Master - Mainly cause I have DL hand guards, keeps hands drier in wet weather.
Pilot Power CT2 70 series

Hope this helps - Rick

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rick, I appreciate the time you took, would this configuration work in a s model? I forgot to specify that up there

·
Registered
9 Posts
Should be easier actually, as far as I know the frames are the same, you will probably be using the clip ons and won't have to fab headlight and speedo brackets. The handling is night and day difference, I also put a Penske in the rear.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
He'll have to get TL clip-ons. The stock GSX-R clip-ons are too low and won't clear the fairing.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have an 07 SV-S, here's what I used:

04/05 GSX-R 600/750 Showa Forks
00-03 GSX-R 600/750 Upper & Lower Triple
00-03 GSX-R 600/750 Front Wheel (w/ Stock Rotors)
04/05 GSX-R 600/750 Clutch Perch and Radial Brake Master Cylinder
01/02 GSX-R1000 Front Fender
05 Yamaha R6 Raven Radial Calipers (Spacers Needed depending on rotor size - Zoran of TWF can make them)
LSL Offset Match Clip-On & Handlebars
Spiegler SS Front Brake Lines
Comtronic Hall Effect Sensor with Neodymium Magnets ( 8 )

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
He'll have to get TL clip-ons. The stock GSX-R clip-ons are too low and won't clear the fairing.
I ran the stock GSXR clipons for quite awhile. It was tight when I was at full-lock turns but really had no problems otherwise. I believe I bent my rear brackets a bit so they'd be lower, though. I just installed some TLS clipons to make it better.

Honestly, I don't know why this thread exists. There is at least one great sticky that addresses 1st gens and 2nd gens and it is NOT ambiguous. Further, a 2007 is no different than my 2003 with regards to the swap except for the speedo sensor - mine only needs four magnets - but this is also covered.

For what it's worth, I got a complete 2004/2005 GSXR600/750 front end. Other than the speed sensor, it's basically a direct bolt in on a 2nd Gen SV650. Now, though, I'm switching out to a 2007 GSXR600 front wheel. ;D

·
Registered
795 Posts
I second Shaggy's suggestion about getting a complete front end with a wheel and brakes. Having bought the front end for my conversion piece-meal, I can assure you that it is painful and more expensive to do it that way.

... Gregg

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have an 07 with a 07 1000 forks and triples. Everything is fine except the steering lock doen't work.I'm using four magnets for the speedo on my 07 and it seems to be close to accurate. How do you know if you need 8? I think it would read way fast with 8.

·
Registered
9 Posts
When I first put my 06 together it read half speed with 4, added the other 4 and it was happy and with the 70 series tire it's only off by ~5%

·
Registered
363 Posts
Honestly, I don't know why this thread exists. There is at least one great sticky that addresses 1st gens and 2nd gens and it is NOT ambiguous. Further, a 2007 is no different than my 2003 with regards to the swap except for the speedo sensor - mine only needs four magnets - but this is also covered.
I don't see a sticky about the subject. I am also looking for a thread that contains all pertinent info about the swap.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
meh there is a sticky on frontend fork swap, however it seems most peoples input is somewhat vague... "...a 2005 gsxr 750 fronend will work..." etc.

Honestly, I *AM* mechanically inclined, but dont want to be farting around wihtout a bike while I hunt down all the last little bits that dont fit. Like first guy to respond, I just want a "go buy 200x-200x gsxr complete front end, or this and these wheels, and spacers"

No I am not trying to have people do my work for me, just seems like even though theres a sticky theres still not a ton of detailed information.

frankly, I bought some intimitators I plan on installing in a week or two... but dont really have the highest hopes. I beleive the sv could ride better, and probably not the worst investment in the world... but I dont know... I think I am going to find something else... have zx14 shock, and intimitators for a few mo then new bike time..

·
Registered
363 Posts
What's the link for the sticky I don't see it? I'm also looking for a writeup on the differences between the different year Gixxer front ends.

My basic understanding at this point is you need:
-Front end (forks, brakes, upper and lower triples), this looks to be a great deal. Missing stabilizer though:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/R-06...9523230QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
-Any year Gixxer front wheel (don't know which size rotors to get for each model Gixxer caliper though).
-TLS clipons
-Gixxer master cyl (not completely necessary but might as well).
-Front fender (might be quite spendy to get it painted to match the bike)

I also want to know which years/models will preserve steering lock and if it's possible to use a Gixxer wheel that will preserve stock SV front speedo.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
that does look like a good deal... better if it had the wheel and tire. As far as I understand no gixxer wheel will preserve stock speedo pickup...

·
Registered
89 Posts
i have an 08N and used a 06 gsxr600 front end, everything is from an 06gsxr front except for the upper triple which i got from a 05 gsxr1000, and clipons form woodcraft (stock gsxr ones are way too low), i dont have the gauges mounted yet but everything works, the steering lock works also but only when the front is pointed straight forward, i usually just tip it to the side and use a disk lock in the rear disk

·
Registered
78 Posts
Here is what I did to my 06 N, don't know how much different the 07 is.
I used an 04/05 600/750 front end (Showa 43) on mine. Forks will bolt right on. I used a solid state magnetic hall effect sensor for the speedo drive and wired it into the stock speedo cable, you will need 8 magnets for the 06. Depending on which front wheel and rotors you get you may need spacers for the calipers as none radial rotors are larger diameter. Can't comment on clip ons as I'm running a naked which required custom bar, speedo and headlight mount. Stock master cylinder will work fine but have been told you get a bit more feel from the radial master. I also used the stock front brake hose for a week until the braided lines arrived. I completed the swap in a 2 day weekend including all the machine work for the bar, speedo and headlight mounts.
Parts I used: If I remember correctly
04/05 600/750 Showa 43mm front end, I changed the springs to .95 with 125mm of 7.5 weight
I think 02 1000 frt wheel w/ 310mm rotors
?? 1000 frt fender
Cherry Sensor, available from Digikey, Future Electronics etc.
Timken steering bearings
Braided lines for a SVn
SV Master - Mainly cause I have DL hand guards, keeps hands drier in wet weather.
Pilot Power CT2 70 series

Hope this helps - Rick
These are very helpful posts. I have a few questions for you (I have an 03N). Anyone can answer them, but Rick definitely can! :)

Are you happy with the bar machine work? I assume you drilled your stock triples?

If you don't remachine your bar, what all do you have to do? Just buy GSXR clipons and put them on?

Why did you buy the Timken steering bearings? I heard you can reuse the steering bearings on a 2nd gen SV.

So you just reused your non-radial master, right?

Are there any other complications or parts needed when doing a naked conversion? It seems like hte only thing is the bar/clipons, but I didn't know if there are any other complications.

Thanks for your help!

EDIT: One more thing. Are the brake lines interchangeable? In other words, if I buy SVN SS brake lines, will they work for the swap?

EDIT Again: This question isn't that important, but do you pretty much always buy your front end swaps from multiple sellers? I was hoping someone would have one big kit for sale (entire front end + wheel + brakes), but it looks like almost everyone just sells the forks and wheels separately.

·
Registered
9 Posts
These are very helpful posts. I have a few questions for you (I have an 03N). Anyone can answer them, but Rick definitely can! :)

Are you happy with the bar machine work? I assume you drilled your stock triples?

Rick - Stock triples won't work with inverted forks, I used the GSXR triples and fabbed a top plate and also some pucks that sit in the pockets under the top bridge. I've heard on some of the stunter forums that if you just drill the top triple and mount the bars the top triple will break, I'm not a stunter but wasn't going to chance it. the top plate also serves as the instrument mount. - There are a couple of pics in the members photo gallery under my username.

If you don't remachine your bar, what all do you have to do? Just buy GSXR clipons and put them on?

Rick - Use Gsxr clip ons or I think some people have been using TL clip ons or there are aftermarket, I do more sport touring so I wanted a more upright position.

Why did you buy the Timken steering bearings? I heard you can reuse the steering bearings on a 2nd gen SV.

Rick - Stock are ball bearings not taper rollers, mine were fine and yes you can reuse them but since I was there figured might as well.

So you just reused your non-radial master, right?

Rick - Yep and even the stock SV brake lines for a couple of weeks till the braided lines got here. Some day I might try the radial master just for grins to see the difference, I heard the feel is a bit better.

Are there any other complications or parts needed when doing a naked conversion? It seems like hte only thing is the bar/clipons, but I didn't know if there are any other complications.

Rick - Headlight and instrument mounts will need to be fabbed, again look at the pics or if needed I can snap a few more and post up. Speedo sensor will have to be fabbed and possibly spacers for the caliper depending on which rotors you get.

Thanks for your help!

EDIT: One more thing. Are the brake lines interchangeable? In other words, if I buy SVN SS brake lines, will they work for the swap?

Rick - That's what I am using, I've actually put a couple of spacer blocks under the bars and they are fine.

EDIT Again: This question isn't that important, but do you pretty much always buy your front end swaps from multiple sellers? I was hoping someone would have one big kit for sale (entire front end + wheel + brakes), but it looks like almost everyone just sells the forks and wheels separately.
Rick - Pretty much, keep in mind the rotor sizes are different 300, 310, 320mm stock radial are 300 but the rest will work with caliper spacers and probably give you a tad bit better brake but probably wouldn't be that noticeable.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts